The Sony A7 thread [Merged]

dmclalla

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do stand corrected on the ability to work on RAW files front.

You should ask yourself what is the benefit of correction of a RAW file in camera and not in post... I prefer full control on a proper screen. The last thing I need is another menu to fumble through.

As for working in post, this app still doesn't save the lens information, which is the reason I bought it a week and a half ago.

Edited by Jaybob

Hi David,

Many thanks for showing the way and the proof of principle. ;)

How far can you push the App to remove vignetting?

I had it set at +8 and it goes to +16

it has to peripheral shading settings which both go to +16

one seems to work on a blue to yellow scale and the other a magenta to sort of green but it is a little hard to tell.

Personally if you a familiar with the way fuji deal with this on their system it is a lot better and easier to use

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

From 12-17

Using Lens Compensation, the "saved" lens information doesn't even show up in the native Sony software that shipped with my NEXes Sony PlayMemories Home, or the downloaded Sony Image Data converter.

I'm sure this app can be used to adjust your NEX 5 or 6's adapted lens distortion, or chromatic aberrations, but if those things show up, I'd rather look at those on an image by image basis on an actual computer screen, where I have complete control of it. I personally don't like to let the camera do anything except what I tell it to. I attach the lens, set the ISO, WB, aperture, shutter speed and frame advance, and it records a RAW image file. If corrections are needed, that should be done later on a much more powerful computer using proper image editing software.

This app shouldn't be downloaded for use with the A7/R not only because it more than likely does not work, but because the idea of an app like this is totally flawed.

Again, MY BAD for the misinformation on the app not working on RAW files. It was another menu deep, under "Image size".

Had my first opportunity to actually check out the A7 yesterday, Wasn't impressed. I am sure it preforms as advertised but it just doesn't feel like a quality piece. Sure its small and light, very light in fact. Turn the knobs, push the buttons, it feels cheep. Its half the price of the M240 and it feels like it. That said it doesn't make $7000.00 for the M a bargain.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had my first opportunity to actually check out the A7 yesterday, Wasn't impressed. I am sure it preforms as advertised but it just doesn't feel like a quality piece. Sure its small and light, very light in fact. Turn the knobs, push the buttons, it feels cheep. Its half the price of the M240 and it feels like it. That said it doesn't make $7000.00 for the M a bargain.

Half the price? In the US the A7 has a cost of $1600, the A7r has a cost of $2300, and the M240 has a cost of $7000. The M240 is 4.375X the cost of the A7.

Rich

Edited by naturephoto1
  • Like 1

I do stand corrected on the ability to work on RAW files front.

You should ask yourself what is the benefit of correction of a RAW file in camera and not in post... I prefer full control on a proper screen. The last thing I need is another menu to fumble through.

As for working in post, this app still doesn't save the lens information, which is the reason I bought it a week and a half ago.

I agree totally and will probably not be using it either especially as it doesn't save the lens info into the EXIF.

For all lenses. Yours too. Remember, the Leica 50mm APO Summicron had significantly better corner resolution on the M (24MP) than it did on the A7R (36MP)... and the 50 APO is near-telecentric. This example is more sensor-centric than it has to do with the lens. I'm sure that the WATE would show the same relative result.

Again you are just talking about M lenses...:rolleyes:

Looking at the lens profile, the 50 APO Cron looks more telecentric, but in fact you have to look at the effective ray angles to the exit pupil. It is a very compact lens design and it is no new finding that these designs may produce less optimal results on the A7R sensor. But it still does not mean "for all lenses". That's just your personal simplification.

Regardings the WATE: You obviously stll did not look into my article about the WATE, where I show edge crops from the A7R as well as from the Leica MM.

You should ask yourself what is the benefit of correction of a RAW file in camera and not in post... I prefer full control on a proper screen.

So you also prefer images from the Leica M with disabled internal correction?

Different topic:

Did others notice siginificant field curvature with the Leica Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH on the A7/A7R as well?

If you look at this photo (Summilux at F1.4, no vignette correction)...

11478330114_8594b0e5f8_b.jpg

(click on the image to see other sizes / resolutions including original size)

...you see that the blurred background gets sharper and edgy structures at the borders.

I took a comparison shot from the same position with the Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 that shows a constantly blurred background across the whole frame. You can see it here.

Some might be induced now to find another point for their "A7R-sensor sucks" mission here but I am quite sure that such an aberration effect is not caused by sensor design (as long as we are talking about planar sensors).

Edited by 3D-Kraft.com
  • Like 3

I'm not too interested in taking up this argument, but just to let you know I don't think you've proved anything with this example.

Obviously you did not really take the point and did not compare borders of the given examples. Others claim, they cannot get sharp borders with a Summilux (for what it is not really designed), I claim that background blur could be more constant across the frame.

By the way, any feedback about APO Telyt-R 180 on the A7® ?

Yes, I did a quick shot with the A7R, Telyt-R 180 and Summicron-R 50 (pre asph.) this afternoon. It's an outstanding combo!

Here is the link to the ooc raw files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cdajmdrw25f0isg/5BF18VRSV6

Best regards

Frank

Edited by anhaefr
  • Like 1

In terms of taking the point, I made the point that your example didn't make the point very well if at all. Certainly not to me. Perhaps the downsized jpegs don't allow me to see the problem.

If the Summilux is all you are setting out to deal with there are still plenty of problems with the A7r sensor that your point doesn't cover. The extensive smearing and lower resolution in the corners.

I would have liked this camera to be perfect but it's not. Sony has failed to collect my return so far and I just took a few shots with it to remind myself what all the excitement is about. I still think it's almost worth the cost to keep it alongside an M but I couldn't replace the M with it because of the corner performance. Is that what you call the "A7r sensor sucks mission".

"Different topic:

"Did others notice siginificant field curvature with the Leica Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH on the A7/A7R as well?

"If you look at this photo (Summilux at F1.4, no vignette correction)…"

That's a strange creative effect – you might start a new fad for 'bent bokeh.' I've seen mustache distortion of lines, but nothing so extreme re: plane of focus. The way the crane at the right goes back into focus is eerie.

Visible at smaller apertures?

This weekend I'm checking my 50mm lenses to decide which to use, and I'll see whether or not the pre-aspherical version does the same.

Kirk

So you also prefer images from the Leica M with disabled internal correction?

Ummm, I think so...

I wouldn't want any camera's "processor" be it Nikon, Sony, or Leica, to apply anything to a RAW file. It's not really RAW at that point. I want to take it out of the camera and look at it. Not to be blatantly argumentative, but I don't want an effing "smile sensor" either.

My Nikon's NEF's aren't corrected by the camera, but they do have the EXIF lens info inserted into the file when I shoot with an AF lens or an unchipped Ai or Ai-S lens. Programming an adapted lens choice into the menu is something Sony cameras don't have the ability to do. They SHOULD be able to do at least that, with the earlier mentioned, semi worthless, lens compensation APP.

Off topic a little, but I have made a conscious decision to shoot with the cropped NEX-6 as opposed to Leica M/M8/M9, or A7 at this point. I feel the sensor size actually plays nicer with the adapted lenses, but I'm not trying to shoot with a Voight 12mm, and I'm much more of a shooter than a measurer of vignetting. M Rokkor 28 is as wide as I go, and honestly the 50 and the 90 are on there 95% of the time. Telephoto focal lengths suit my eye more, so I don't mind the crop. With the 50 and 90 I'm sharp all the way across with no color shifts, and, as a bonus the images don't necessarily benefit from any barrel, pin-cushion, or vignette "correction" in Lightroom.

The 28...well, that's a different story, and it's not a Leica.

Being able to pick a spare NEX 6 up for $600 (as of today) is pretty decent too.

Edited by Jaybob

I don't believe the M or M9 applies a lens correction to DNG files, but it does let you specify what non coded lens you're using so you can at least figure it out later, right?

Not right.

Coded lenses and auto (or manual) lens recognition are not only to get the lens data in the exif

Not right.

Coded lenses and auto (or manual) lens recognition are not only to get the lens data in the exif

What?

RAW files are RAW files, they are "RAW" by their very nature.

The standardized DNG (Digital Negative) format is used for storage of completely unprocessed raw picture data.