waiting for the R to M adapter

hejenk

How does the list of R-lenses look like on the camera screen when you engage the adapter? I seem to get the lising of M-lenses only.

Can't recall exactly what happened the first time I used it...... with no lenses chosen the exif in LR reads 'R Adapter x1000 and I recall the info screen showed 'R-Adapter'

No choice screen appeared automatically (alhough I may have missed it)

In menu Lens Detection changes from Automatic to Manual

Accessing this list show R lenses only

Once a lens is chosen this remains the default every time the adapter is re-attached until a different one is picked.

No idea if this is the way the real R-M adapter is meant to function.

There were a few occasions when the adapter was not recognised when fitted .... the blind pits are slightly reflective so I have blacked them with an OHP pen and now it works 100% of the time with no problems.

Jaap or someone who has been using a self coded adapter for a while should know if this is correct ....

I'm cancelling my order for an official Leica one as this seems to work fine....

• Like 3

I have a $40 Photodiox. It is metal color, so I successfully used a Sharpy. Was trickier to get right than my M9. But, it brings up the R-menu. This adapter is a little loose in the respect that it turns about .05 degrees on the bayonet. But, it seems to not have any give between the bayonet and the adapter. Piece of junk, but it works fine... and best of all... no waiting. Recommended at $40!

Wait a minute!

You mean you use some admittedly crappy adapter now, instead of waiting for the Leica adapter.

You should see if you can get the new Novoflex one while you're over there which now comes 6 pit coded. No 6 pit, not 6 bit. Wait actually it is a 5 pit which white strip. They seem to be available in the UK. See photo above.

I have a $40 Photodiox. It is metal color, so I successfully used a Sharpy. Was trickier to get right than my M9. But, it brings up the R-menu. This adapter is a little loose in the respect that it turns about .05 degrees on the bayonet. But, it seems to not have any give between the bayonet and the adapter. Piece of junk, but it works fine... and best of all... no waiting. Recommended at $40!

I remembering reading somewhere that there could be a risk of shaving small bits of metal off the cheaper adapters when mounting and unmounting the lens, with a risk of the shavings ending up stuck to the to the sensor. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Mine was new stock from SpeedGraphic in the UK .... ordered last week and arrived Tuesday...

Is there a part number on this latest LEM/LER we could get from you because the last I would want is to order another one and have it come without the new coding? Thanks.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a $40 Kipon Photo Optic adapter from Adorama.

How could I use that on an $8,000 camera?!

Well, I attached it to the camera and to the lens.

It works fine.

It's secure. It doesn't look like it will fall off, shave metal bits off into the camera or break the lens.

There is no coding, but I don't see any particular suggestion that the Leica adapter will be coded. Is it even possible?

I never get the feeling that the folks at B & H or Adorama have ever used a camera before, but the Adorama fellow said that the difference between the Kipon/Pro Optic and the Novoflex would be longevity. Since if I decide to head to R glass in a serious way I'll be picking up the Leica, I don't see any point in the Novoflex.

The Leica adapter is supposed to come coded.

The difference between the Novoflex and other third party adapters is the precision with which they are made.

If you get the Leica adapter and only want to use R lenses with it then you are okay.

If you want to use other non-rangefinder coupled third party lenses like Nikkors then you need different adapters.

Edited by k-hawinkler
  • Like 1

I bought a $40 Kipon Photo Optic adapter from Adorama.

How could I use that on an $8,000 camera?!

Well, I attached it to the camera and to the lens.

It works fine.

It's secure. It doesn't look like it will fall off, shave metal bits off into the camera or break the lens.

There is no coding, but I don't see any particular suggestion that the Leica adapter will be coded. Is it even possible?

I never get the feeling that the folks at B & H or Adorama have ever used a camera before, but the Adorama fellow said that the difference between the Kipon/Pro Optic and the Novoflex would be longevity. Since if I decide to head to R glass in a serious way I'll be picking up the Leica, I don't see any point in the Novoflex.

Novoflex is a serious company and have made quality product for years. Who knows, they might even be making the Leica adapter whenever Leica can get their act together on this piece. I saw it at Photokina 355 days ago.

• Like 1

Nice thing is, it is a company "with a face" that will give their customers personal attention if needed.

Well, I sent them an email, never got a response. Must be just me.

Their adapters are certainly incredibly well made.

For example, only their adapters are precise enough that I can focus the APO 280/4 with an NEX camera, then swap with another Novoflex adapter and M9, and the lens is still focused.

Pretty amazing.

• Like 1

Is there a part number on this latest LEM/LER we could get from you because the last I would want is to order another one and have it come without the new coding? Thanks.

.... well the box just says LEM/LER ..... ditto with adapter itself and the website listing of where I got it from.

To be honest it would have been more sensible if Leica had subcontracted it to Novoflex and just asked them to mill a slot and paint it on their existing adapter. :rolleyes:

Unless I have a rogue prototype or something done for a laugh by a whimsical employee, I think you can assume all new stock will be like the one I have....

No...... it has drilled black pits and a correctly sized white stripe as per normal six bit lens coding in the right place..... it's very difficult to tell if it is recessed or just painted on.... so it's hard to tell whether it will survive repeated removal/attachment

I too was surprised when it arrived earlier this week and found it worked straightaway......

so there was no modification needed by you to get the adapter to recognize r lenses?

Just ordered one from Dale Photo-FL USA. They had received a batch last week, but never checked them for 6 bit coding. When Josh checked it on an M camera, the R list came up. I said sent me one. I'll have it tomorrow.

He was totally shocked he had coded Novoflex adapters. He said it has one white strip in the 6 bit area.

I wonder if Leica deferred to Novoflex?

Just ordered one from Dale Photo-FL USA. They had received a batch last week, but never checked them for 6 bit coding. When Josh checked it on an M camera, the R list came up. I said sent me one. I'll have it tomorrow.

He was totally shocked he had coded Novoflex adapters. He said it has one white strip in the 6 bit area.

I wonder if Leica deferred to Novoflex?

Very strange, there are no coded LEM/LER adapters on Novoflex website! Maybe its a special service added to the adapters "that is not available in Germany":D:D:D

John

Last week I used some of my money I once put a-side to buy the M240, instead bought the new Canon 70D to use with my R lenses, and frankly I LOVE IT.

Just think, If Solms didn't kill my beloved R system, we wouldn't have bothered with that silly R to M adapter.

So as a long time Leica user of 40 years, Solms has lost me as a customer.

THANK YOU CANON.

Ken.

• Like 1

Last week I used some of my money I once put a-side to buy the M240, instead bought the new Canon 70D to use with my R lenses, and frankly I LOVE IT.

Just think, If Solms didn't kill my beloved R system, we wouldn't have bothered with that silly R to M adapter.

So as a long time Leica user of 40 years, Solms has lost me as a customer.

THANK YOU CANON.

Ken.

Ken,

Congratulations! A couple of questions:

Which adapter are you using?

Which R lenses are you using?

Thanks.

Ken,

Congratulations! A couple of questions:

Which adapter are you using?

Which R lenses are you using?

Thanks.

Hello Karl.

The adapter is a Novoflex R-EOS.

The Lenses are 21-35mm, 28-90mm and the 80-200, I have tried my others such as the 50mm f2, 180mm f2.8, 35-70mm 3.5 and the 90mm f2.

All work with NO PROBLEMS.

I found the 70D no issues with Manual focusing, IQ is excellent, great LCD screen with touch screen the Menu system is very simple and it's very well made in Japan.

For the first time I got the cheap 18-55mm Canon STM lenses for 150$ and it's incredible AF especially

in movie mode, cannot complain for 1,300 Dollars for the 70D EXCEPT if only it was my R10 instead.

Ken.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hamey
  • Like 1

Hello Karl.

The adapter is a Novoflex R-EOS.

The Lenses are 21-35mm, 28-90mm and the 80-200, I have tried my others such as the 50mm f2, 180mm f2.8, 35-70mm 3.5 and the 90mm f2.

All work with NO PROBLEMS.

I found the 70D no issues with Manual focusing, IQ is excellent, great LCD screen with touch screen the Menu system is very simple and it's very well made in Japan.

For the first time I got the cheap 18-55mm Canon STM lenses for 150$ and it's incredible AF especially

in movie mode, cannot complain for 1,300 Dollars for the 70D EXCEPT if only it was my R10 instead.

Ken.

Ken-Does that Novoflex adapter use any electronics chip or is it just a simple adapter? Also how do you get the camera to work if it is looking for a lens. I have a 5D3 and would not mind trying to use an R lens on it from time to time. I just heard that some adapters have caused MAJOR problems with cameras including frying some of the internals. Thanks.