The APO 2X Extender

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My experiences mirror Peter Bailey's when comparing the R-2x versus the R-2x APO (I have both).

I've only had my M a short while, and have only compared the 2x vs. 2x APO on my Telyt-R 500mm mirror lens (tripod mounted). There appears to be a slight difference in coloration but no noticeable difference in sharpness, although the "acuity" of the images with the APO 2x appears a bit better.

Oddly, I think I got better focus at 1,000 mm than at 500!

For comparison and if you're interested, you can download the test images in high-resolution DNG format here:

500mm Telyt-R:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D243783_74495284_887216

R-2x and 500mm Telyt-R:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D243783_74495284_887282

R-2x APO and 500mm Telyt-R:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D243783_74495284_887297

The really wonderful thing with the M, I'm finding, is that I can use my R lenses that have been stored in a Lowe Pro camera bag for years. I bought the 500mm Telyt-R new and can't remember when I last used it.

But is it possible that the differences between Apo and non-Apo are swamped by the poorer performance of a mirror lens compared with a top quality prime for which the Apo was designed?

• Like 2

Peter,

Can you stack up the 1.4X APO and 2X APO extenders in random order?

Thanks.

My name is Peter so I'll chime in. :D

It should make no difference which order the extenders are stacked although I would test it out to make sure if I had both. (I have neither :rolleyes:)

If I'm wrong please scald and correct me ;)

Peter,

Thanks.

My name is Peter so I'll chime in. :D

It should make no difference which order the extenders are stacked although I would test it out to make sure if I had both. (I have neither :rolleyes:)

If I'm wrong please scald and correct me ;)

The 1.4X and the 2X Apo extenders can only be stacked with the 1.4X extender being inserted directly into the lens itself. You can only use this extender with specific lenses and not behind the 2X Apo extender due to the protruding front portion of the extender. It was initially designed for the 280mm Apo Telyt f2.8 lens. The 1.4X Apo extender works with some of the 180 2,8 APO, 280mm f2.8 Apo Telyt, 280 f4 Apo Telyt, the 400mm f2.8 Apo Telyt lens, the entire modular system, the 400mm f6.8 and 560mm f6.8 telyt lens. I believe that it will work with the 400mm f5.6 and 560mm f5.6 telyt lenses, 28-90 mm f/2.8-4.5 zoom, and the 105-280 mm f/4.2 zoom.

Rich

• Like 2

But is it possible that the differences between Apo and non-Apo are swamped by the poorer performance of a mirror lens compared with a top quality prime for which the Apo was designed?

John,

Yes, I think it's certainly possible that the APO-2x might work best with APO lenses. I can't tell, though, because the two APO R lenses I have are both ROM-coded, which prevents them from being mounted onto my non-ROM 2x extender.

That said, I took two test shots with my 180 f/4.0, one with the regular 2x and the other with the APO-2x. I think I can discern a slight difference between the two, although frankly it's just as possible (if not more likely) that any difference is due to operator-induced focusing differences.

Bob Woods

PS. I know the Telyt-R 500mm mirror lens sometimes gets a bad rap, but I actually like it quite a bit. It's lightweight, easy to focus and mechanically feels very sound. I used to have a 400mm Telyt (sliding focus) and was also fond of that lens, but it was a lot more bulky to carry around!

Link to high-resolution DNG, 180mm f/4.0 with R-2x:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D243783_74495284_880218

Link to high-resolution DNG, 180mm f/4.0 with R-2x-APO:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D243783_74495284_880206

• Like 2

Thanks to help from some forum members, I have figured out how to mount my non-ROM 2x onto my 180 2.8 APO/ROM, allowing a direct comparison on this lens between the non-APO 2x extender and the later APO version of same.

Here are downloadable links to the original DNG files for anyone interested in making the comparison:

180mm f/2,8 APO lens:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D243783_74495284_807327

180mm f/2,8 APO lens with Leica 2x extender:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D243783_74495284_807320

180mm f/2,8 APO lens with Leica 2x APO extender:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D243783_74495284_807314

It's clear that the APO extender certainly is better, at least on an APO lens. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Peter,

Thanks.

No

The 1.4 extender can only be adapted if the lens has space for the ledge of the extender.

It works for most of the telelenses starting at 280mm.

Or for macro shots including the macro Adapter.

see Pictures

Regards Peter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I started this thread some weeks ago, I thought I should post an update.

I got the 2X extender and genuinely like the flexibility it now gives me. It works quite well with the Vario-Elmar R 80-200. It makes so much sense in terms of traveling/hiking/safari - to me at least - because it gives my current lens, or, say, a 180 prime, significantly greater reach while not forcing me a) to carry a big lens, B) pay up for the 280 or something longer.

Yes, you lose two stops, but it creates a very workable option.

Thank you all for the help and advice. JB

• 1 month later...
As I started this thread some weeks ago, I thought I should post an update.

I got the 2X extender and genuinely like the flexibility it now gives me. It works quite well with the Vario-Elmar R 80-200. It makes so much sense in terms of traveling/hiking/safari - to me at least - because it gives my current lens, or, say, a 180 prime, significantly greater reach while not forcing me a) to carry a big lens, B) pay up for the 280 or something longer.

Yes, you lose two stops, but it creates a very workable option.

Thank you all for the help and advice. JB

Thank you for starting this thread. I learned so much reading it. I never thought of stacking my Apo extenders 1.4 and 2X as I am from the generation that even refused using one because of the degredation of the lens resolution and speed. Now I am going to experiment with my Apo-R 2.8/280 and see if it really works and comes out with usable images. I really doubt it but it is worth a try. Makes this lens into a Vario-R......almost:D

Here's a picture taken with the 280/4 + 2X Apo Extender. Please note it wasn't a cloudless sky, and keeping the tripod/camera rock steady with this sort of focal length isn't easy. High St bundled (not very high rez) Frontierlab scan of Reala film. It's obviously had a lot of blacked sky cropped out. The visibility of the craters on the right hand (shadow) side is I think quite encouraging.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by masjah
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...