Leica M Monochrom DNG raw question

To sum up this thread:

The question was if in theory a DNG file from the Monochrom could hold more information than a TIFF. This question is at least partly unanswered.

Instead the question itself was questioned...

For me this means: as long as knowbody knows the answer it's safer to use the DNG as the source for any editing.

Nevertheless there was some input with rather interesting technical details - thanks for sharing and good light!

yap, i tend to agree..

as long as we're not sure, we should use raw, and also we don't have an in-camera choice anyways so all of this doesn't really matters in the practical sense..

my logic still wont let go though, the theory is not complete.

all of this reminds me of brain research - where they know lots of stuff, but they lack the true understanding, the logic behind the results, the theory.. everything they know is a result of trail and error. i prefer true deep understanding..

it was a great thread everyone, my first of this magnitude :)

• 3 years later...

Hi guys :)

I'm back with one last realization and we'll call it a solved!

So I was thinking for a few years, until I found out about (mono!) 32bit floating point tiffs files which solves the final issue of the blacker then black you get with the original dng raw.

Here's a quote from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF - "The inclusion of the SampleFormat tag in TIFF 6.0 allows TIFF files to handle advanced pixel data types, including integer images with more than 8 bits per channel and floating point images. This tag made TIFF 6.0 a viable format for scientific image processing where extended precision is required"

And this one -

http://scikit-image.org/docs/dev/user_guide/data_types.html

Data type Range uint8 0 to 255 uint16 0 to 65535 uint32 0 to 232 float -1 to 1 or 0 to 1 int8 -128 to 127 int16 -32768 to 32767 int32 -231 to 231 - 1

only downside is a 4gb max file size but should be an issue plus they are working on bigtiff format to solve that

Anyways, logic's wins :) I rest my case..

Its not recommended to actually use it of course  except maybe  for HDR maybe but still happy i got it finally.

i hope everyone agrees, if anyone has in new interesting insight it would be great.

Have a great weekend :) :)

Keep on shooting mono :)

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested in such things: DNG is a kind of TIFF.

Correct; the M8 started off with the raw file having .TIF as extension; after a M8 system update it went over to .DNG.

Nowadays, C1 version 6 and 7 pro cannot read the old raw files (the .TIF naming convention) anymore; but Lightroom can 'read' them flawlessly.

Side issue: C1 is not interested to write the maybe less than 50 lines of code,  to 'read' the old files by the way; I conversed some time with their support staff; they did not see the problem at all; so then I decided to switch to Lightroom.