lenshood not centered

Steve737

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HI

AS a new M-user,I have just received my new M today together with a summicron 28.

When attaching the lenshood, it is not straight centered, the hood is offset to the right if i look at the camera.

It does not influence the pic quality, but esthetically its not that good looking for a leica i think.....

Any advice on this ?

many thanks

First Leica experience is very disappointing, never had this with L-lenses before.....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

the lens is BRANDNEW out of the box, waited 5 months after camera and lens.....

Lens hood is the correct one for this lens. It was supplied with it. I really thought Leica performed quality control after hand made production....

Edited by Steve737

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Either straight or crooked this hood is one of the ugliest ones Leica has ever made IMO. Matter of tastes i know... With a round one you won't have this problem though. The 12466 is very nice but expensive and hard to obtain unfortunately. See http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/181344-leica-12589-vs-12466-replacement-hood.html

Hi Steve, in my opinion the hood is not sitting in the right place. You should be able to push it gently a little further over the lens. By carefully turning slightly the pins will catch and the hood will sit straight.

Be careful not to put any force on the hood when changing the lens: grab your 28 by the base and stay away with your hand from the hood! Otherwise you run the risk of loosening the front ring that catches the hood.

Welcome to the world of Leica!

Maarten

I did not like the hood that came with the 28 Summicron and I left it in the box.

I am using a Contax GG1 hood. You can buy aftermarket ones in ebay. A set of 3 (GG1, GG2 and GG3) cast ~ $30. They are 46mm filter size.

The GG1 is for 28mm, GG2 for 50mm (you can use for 50 Lux in front of the built-in one and provides protection) and the GG3 for the 90mm.

Guest Marc G.

primarily the hood design has to work. period. I hate those built in hoods e.g. of the current 50 1.4

if you want a stylish hood then go for what you find stylish. I'd rather prefer an ugly but effective hood.

after all leica doesn't sell jewelry but cameras and lenses. I'd be damned if I make compromises in functionality, risking flare and damage to the front element for the sake of it looking better...

on topic: ask your dealer

Just went to my dealer, seems the lens had a problem with the outer ring !

Excellent service of my dealer (Tuyttens Brugge Belgium), they gave me immediately a new one !

me more then happy again ;)

Cool, now you need to get rid of that ugly aligned hood:D

if you want a stylish hood then go for what you find stylish. I'd rather prefer an ugly but effective hood.

after all leica doesn't sell jewelry but cameras and lenses. I'd be damned if I make compromises in functionality, risking flare and damage to the front element for the sake of it looking better...

Agreed.

In this specific case, however, the original hood is not only ugly but also blocks a fairly large part of the viewfinder (despite the cut-out), is made of a cheap-feeling kind of plastic and is attached by a clip-on ring. As an aside, the Summicron 28 is not particularly flare prone - even without a hood.

In consequence, the risks of damnation incurred by using a third-party alternative (particularly if it's vented, made of metal and of the screw-in type) in this instance are pretty limited IMO.;)

Problem of screw in metal hoods is the risk of damaging the lens filter thread in case of drop or bump. Good Leica alternatives are 12588 and 12589 plastic hoods for Summilux 35/1.4 aspherical and asph (non FLE). The 12589 is more secure thanks to its dented ring but the latter is close to the aperture ring of the Summicron 28 which renders the lens use less comfortable than with the 12588 hood IMHO.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12588

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12589

I have no experience with Contax hoods. Aside from Leica's and other OEMs i have just a couple of plain and vented screw-in metal hoods that i got from Heavystar on e**y. They look well made indeed and seem really sturdy but i would hesitate to use them as bumpers for a $4K lens personally. YMMV. For those interested see below a snapshot of 12588 and 12589 hoods with 14040 hood cap. The latter fits both hoods perfectly but was not in the 12588 package as far as i recall.

• Like 1