APO 50 delivery status

SiggiGun

I'll offer you $1750 for your inferior copy since we know Mandler never touched it.

But I think the ghost of Mandler must have smoothed the coatings and brought special twinkle properties to Rick's lens at full aperture.

I will outbid Lou, and offer $1,799!

Regarding Bill's post (up five, I think), this is just Rick's view that the lens should receive adjustment. I do not agree because I have had no issues at all, other than replicating Lloyd Chambers' finding about flare when shooting into the sun when it is just above the image frame (he posted my findings, actually). But that limitation is not a problem simply for the APO 50, as Lloyd has since documented. There is no evidence from Leica that parts in the recent APO 50 are different, and it could be that the production problem with the lens was a limited guffaw just like not putting enough glue behind the strap lug bolts on some early M240's.

Rick's point that some investors might pay less for an early APO 50 piece might be correct, but that has nothing to do with the performance of the lens. For instance, I recently paid about a 15% premium to get an Elmarit-M 24mm ASPH that was produced at the end of production. My hope was that Leica's production tolerances in 2010 were better than six or ten years earlier. The lens is spectacular to me (though not nearly as sharp as my Elmar-M 24 ASPH that I use on MM :cool:), but other earlier Elmarit-M 24 ASPH might be just as good... who knows?

This is ridiculous! He did not turn down my offer yet and now I will have to go to $1800 to be high bidder. If the lens says "W. Mandler lived here" then I will pay $10 more.

Ok, trade me your first ver. 50mm APO from France and I'll begrudgingly let my most excellent 75mm Summilux go. Actually, the box says, Mandler slept here. Lou, this is a deal. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ok, trade me your first ver. 50mm APO from France and I'll begrudgingly let my most excellent 75mm Summilux go. Actually, the box says, Mandler slept here. Lou, this is a deal. :rolleyes:

Well, my second APO says Karbe slept here so it is worth a bit more.:D

• Like 1

Well, my second APO says Karbe slept here so it is worth a bit more.:D

Yes, but Karbe isn't dead yet. I have a classic from the late master. These Karbe lenses are a dime a dozen. Now, a Mandler is a classic. Thinking it over I'm letting it go much too cheap. Throw in a couple of tickets for a workshop with Pete and we can call it a deal. I'll even let you sleep in the trailer when you come visit.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I did not see your post and now you have ruined my potential deal with RL. Anyway, why are you reading this thread? It could be dangerous to your pocket book!

Oops, sorry ;). Tell you what, I'll give you first refusal at a very fair price, if I ever decide to dispose of my genuine, Mandler blessed, Lux 75 ;)

However, as regards the APO 50, with a SEM 21, a Lux 35, a Lux 50, an APO 90 and now a Lux 75 enough is enough and I've vowed to myself ... no more lenses ....... ever. Of course, I suppose that shouldn't preclude the odd substitution here or there. ;)

• Like 1

Oops, sorry ;). Tell you what, I'll give you first refusal at a very fair price, if I ever decide to dispose of my genuine, Mandler blessed, Lux 75 ;)

However, as regards the APO 50, with a SEM 21, a Lux 35, a Lux 50, an APO 90 and now a Lux 75 enough is enough and I've vowed to myself ... no more lenses ....... ever. Of course, I suppose that shouldn't preclude the odd substitution here or there. ;)

Yes, I see way too many luxes in that list. Variety is the spice of life. By the way did you ever work in Switzerland?

Yes, I see way too many luxes in that list. Variety is the spice of life. By the way did you ever work in Switzerland?

Too many Luxes? Upon reflection you have a point. So, out with the Lux 50 and in with the APO? I think not. Whilst from what I read the APO might be more 'perfect', the Lux is a fine lens at a fraction the price.

I've never worked in Switzerland though, many years ago, I used to have to go there every month to meet with clients. Ahhh, I remember it well, down town Zug on a freezing, mid winter, Sunday evening, such wild, wild fun. ;).

Picked up mine today. Extremely happy. Sn. 04296XXX. Ive not had much time to try it but I might have an hour or two tomorrow. I cant wait to test it. At the dealer, I tried it against the summilux. APO 50 has more contrast and saturation. Colours seem a little more pure. The summilux is still a very good lens.

Edited by Numbers
  • Like 2

Fair warning. Do not try the APO. I did and I thought YES.

Resistance is futile! You know it will happen and how :D

Fortunately, AFAIA there are no APO's in stock with any of the London or near London stores, so it'd require a lot of effort to find one to tempt me. :D

• Like 1

Fortunately, AFAIA there are no APO's in stock with any of the London or near London stores, so it'd require a lot of effort to find one to tempt me. :D

When I attended a monochrom workshop, the APO was available to try. My lukewarm interest became absolute lust. So please avoid all workshops, seminars and rep demonstration days.

• Like 2

I put an order down about a month ago. Unexpexted things can happen very quickly, you know ;)

Sounds like you are already searching for one. Good for you. It's about time for you to try a Summicron. One can get over-luxed.

Moi? No way ;), though I think I might agree that I'm over-luxed. Indeed, I've been casually thinking of swapping out my Lux 35 (fle) and getting a 35 Cron as the lighter, smaller alternative and to redress the Lux/Cron balance?

I put an order down about a month ago. Unexpexted things can happen very quickly, you know ;)

Scary, fortunately no order in the offing from me though it has been suggested that if I was very anxious to part with €6,500 I could possibly pick one up if I made a quick trip over to Wetzlar.

When I attended a monochrom workshop, the APO was available to try. My lukewarm interest became absolute lust. So please avoid all workshops, seminars and rep demonstration days.

Not be invited to or come across any of these, yet. So on the basis of 'out of sight out of mind' and given the APO sells at 3x the price of whatever I could realistically recoup on my Lux 50, I guess I'm safe for the time being.