Capture One V.7.1.1 with M240 and MM support released

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Alan,

I have found that is OK if like the example of the apple and knife, you are dealing with relatively few colours (I was re-reading this Image Professor Blog the other day). However if you have an image with a lot of colours, whereas you can correct individual colours for that image very nicely with the colour wheel, which is a great tool, I find if you then save that as an ICC profile, it does not seem terribly applicable to other images.

Wilson

Alan,

I have found that is OK if like the example of the apple and knife, you are dealing with relatively few colours (I was re-reading this Image Professor Blog the other day). However if you have an image with a lot of colours, whereas you can correct individual colours for that image very nicely with the colour wheel, which is a great tool, I find if you then save that as an ICC profile, it does not seem terribly applicable to other images.

Wilson

Maybe, however I think you'll need to save several profiles as starting points.

Over the past week, I have been adjusting a couple of hundred images that I shot in Hurculaneum and Pompeii back in February. I find that I am only satisfied once I do careful specific tweaking to various colors and tonal values in each photo. Although I can also apply the same correction to a few of them too... at least to get close. I have revisited and fine tuned the images a few times on different days trying to take a fresh look at them each time. Then last night I started printing them and am back to fine tuning a few. I probably have 30 hours into this at least.

So I really can't see any shortcut once you get to the hyper critical level that I sometimes find myself. Color is tricky. You should see what it is like to try to get all of the colors in interiors right to satisfy an interior designer. Sometimes I have to paint in the color of a pillow or a sofa.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

6.4.3 takes Monochrom files now as well :)

did you loaded the latest version 7 and that may have some library to convert MMono in 6.4.x as well, so still to buy the version 7 :confused:

maybe one can try the 7 trial version and get the library for 6.4.x and that might stay alive after the trial expired?

I've now run a small set of M240 (pre-production) files through both the neutral DNG profile and the Generic Leica M240 profile in CaptureOne 7.1.1. Their appearance on screen depends on the profile embedded (in some way which I don't understand) in the jpeg. I'll post some examples in this gallery and leave them up for a week or so. They are not my files, but were loaned to me by Jono Slack. You can see his renderings of them in Aperture with his own postprocessing in his galleries.

The convention in these examples are that the file is first processed with the neutral DNG profile and rendered with CO's ICC profile set to Adobe RGB. Then I processed with the Leica generic M240 DNG profile, and rendered into Adobe RGB. Finally I processed with the Leica m240 DNG profile and rendered with "camera embedded profile." The images are labeled with file #, file #(1), and file #(2) in this sequence. You can see in each series that the neutral rendering is flat, while the Leica profile seems to overdo the red channel, when both are rendered in Adobe RGB. Adding the "embedded camera profile" cuts the redness. Unfortunately, this is not what you see onscreen when processing the files in Capture One, making the effect a bit hard to control.

Bottom line -- the Leica camera profile, when matched with the embedded ICC profile, is closer than I first thought, but for unknown reasons I don't see this while working with the files in COne.

scott

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to say I've found CO 7.1.1 produces truly hideous images with the supplied generic M240 profile......

..... unless I am doing something wrong ..... and if I am that makes the program rather poor on intuitive functionality .....:rolleyes:

LR4 with auto white balance still produces the best images using the embedded camera profile, where things are not quite right .... which I'm sorry to say is most of the time....

There is still a basic issue with the WB settings on this camera that needs fixing. Far too warm and red often needs dialling down a lot. My photos of my partners retirement at the weekend looked like a winos convention ....... I had to extract a litre of plonk from all my staff in LR to make them presentable .....

The out of camera shots should be OK most of the time .... like the M9, with only minor adjustments needed for awkward situations.... Leica needs to review their in camera settings ....:o

• Like 1

I've now run a small set of M240 (pre-production) files through both the neutral DNG profile and the Generic Leica M240 profile in CaptureOne 7.1.1. Their appearance on screen depends on the profile embedded (in some way which I don't understand) in the jpeg.

In the View menu, Proof Profile, standard setting is “selected recipe”. Hence the dependence on what is set in the selected output recipe, usually sRGB or Adobe RGB.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have to say I've found CO 7.1.1 produces truly hideous images with the supplied generic M240 profile......

..... unless I am doing something wrong ..... and if I am that makes the program rather poor on intuitive functionality .....:rolleyes:

Could you post an example?

Capture One really doesn’t like images recompressed as DNG inside Lightroom. For ACR, Lightroom, DxO, Photo Ninja et al this isn’t a problem, but Capture One goes all “that’s not a native camera RAW file” and it will deliver rather … interesting results. So should you have checked CO with images you’ve imported with “import as DNG” from Lightroom, Capture One will go haywire and cry a lot.

did you loaded the latest version 7 and that may have some library to convert MMono in 6.4.x as well, so still to buy the version 7 :confused:

maybe one can try the 7 trial version and get the library for 6.4.x and that might stay alive after the trial expired?

Actually I did load the trial 7.0 Maybe that is it? Anyway, I do not see a need to use C1 for Monochrom files as LR4/SEP does an excellent job (not that I like LR, I will not use it for my M9 files) so that is my primary MM workflow.
  • Like 1

Okay, I was right about the Linear DNG thingy, apparently.

From the Phase One forums:

Linear DNG doesn't have any benefits. It's not technically a RAW file, closer to a TIFF file.

We needed to support it, however, if we were going to support the Leica Monochrome cameras as these Camera's are not RGB but "greyscale".

Phase One and Leaf - Mamiya Official User to User Forum • View topic - 7.1.1 and linear DNG

Apparently, Capture One now also loads Sigma files, and will probably have less problems with Fuji’s XTrans sensors as well. Good news!

Will the M240 tether with C1?

We will not know until the MF grip arrives. I would be surprised if it did, either in the main programme or in its iPad offshoot, Capture Pilot. It certainly is shown as "Tethered Not Supported" here Supported cameras. On the other hand, P1 will not have an MF grip either, so they probably don't know for certain either. I would be keen for Image Shuttle to be converted to an iPad app, so we could tether to an iPad. You can now get very neat clips to hold them on a tripod. You can of course, tether with a wireless SD card but with no control.

Wilson

We will not know until the MF grip arrives. I would be surprised if it did, either in the main programme or in its iPad offshoot, Capture Pilot. It certainly is shown as "Tethered Not Supported" here Supported cameras. On the other hand, P1 will not have an MF grip either, so they probably don't know for certain either. I would be keen for Image Shuttle to be converted to an iPad app, so we could tether to an iPad. You can now get very neat clips to hold them on a tripod. You can of course, tether with a wireless SD card but with no control.

Wilson

Thanks Wilson. Of corse, no usb grip yet. Sorry I had forgotten that!

Actually I did load the trial 7.0 Maybe that is it? Anyway, I do not see a need to use C1 for Monochrom files as LR4/SEP does an excellent job (not that I like LR, I will not use it for my M9 files) so that is my primary MM workflow.

Jaap, you're right, not sure if the C1 will have advantages over LR4. I think I'l do a few test samples.Big issue off course is no NIK plug ins with C1. On the other hand, just one software you manage has a certain advantage ..

The impression I got from P1 was that MM support was a somewhat fortuitous side effect of making other processing alterations "under the hood" on C1-7.1.1 and there is a fair bit more to come. If the new M FW comes out today, I will send P1 a couple of Gretag Macbeth CC24 files processed to TIFF using the embedded camera profile ICC output recipe, if they are still very red, so that they can tweak the M240 Input profile. Other than blues being a little too strong globally (an easy self tweak, saved as a style), if they can get a colour balance similar to the standard M9, I would be pretty happy. I don't think it is worth sending P1 anything until the new FW comes out, as I think part of the very strong reds is a camera issue.

Wilson

• Like 1

I just took a look but can't see how to get them to work in C1. When installing only LR was offered as a host. Could you advise how please?

In C1, create a Process Recipe with an "Open With". The installed NIK suite (and other installed plug-ins), will be listed in the pull-down menu.

• Like 1

I upgraded to CO7.1 a couple of weeks ago.

Is there any third-party manual available? I have read the Phase One manual and watched the tutorials.

Have you waded through the Image Professor blogs. That is where most of the gems of knowledge are to be found. Otherwise this will be this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capture-One-Pro-Official-Guide/dp/1118651014/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364542487&sr=1-1 but not out yet.

Wilson