Soft release issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, dpitt said:

Back to OP...
I noticed that any soft release or cable release that works on my vintage M's will not work on the digital M's starting from M8, and the other way around.

I did not know that modern M film bodies follow the old vintage bodies, but it seems the M-A is the same as my M3 in that aspect.

Interesting, but not my experience (I don't use a soft release but I tried one with absolutely no problems on modern Leica's, I also tried a variety of cable releases, again no problems)

The only cable release I have that fits absolutely everything I have, all my Leica's from M2 to MP and MP, medium format, vintage cameras and shutters etc. is an old Gitzo cable release with a very short fine thread. Any other cable release that works has to be stored with the camera so as not to separate them. So it's not just a problem with soft releases.

Some cable releases have a tapered thread so they work with a range of thread sizes (obviously within a reasonable limit). I have a Leica branded cable release that I've had for 20 years and it has worked fine with everything from M6TTL to M-A via the various digital Ms I've owned too.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

I used to have a soft release on my Fuji X100f, however, it became slightly pressed when in the camera bag. This was causing battery drain (even thought the camera was switched off. Once I removed it, there was no issue. Never had one ever since and do not miss them.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...