Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok... the image quality on the Orchid is totally off the hook. Are you kidding me? How can an image get any better than that? Wow!

How did you light it? I see you shot it aperture preferred at f/2.1 and 1/160th... ISO 100, with no flash. Did you hand hold it?

Man that is nice.

Hi John,

Thank you for the comments. From you that's praise indeed.

I live in Cumbria in the north of England where the sun is an infrequent visitor but the light is gentle. I 'sat' the orchid in a container on a black leather sofa in our sun lounge to give the contrasting background. Hand held and shot in the natural light through the glass.

Regards,

David

DavidE and John, fantastic photos, demonstrating what the Digilux2 is capable of in talented hands.

This oldie still puts so many of the "newest and latest cameras and lenses" to shame no matter the sensor size! I hope one day Leica's development and marketing teams are waking up and realising that their next break through camera was already developed in the very early part of the first decade of this century.

John,

The backyard shots are great - the light seems perfect - I'm guessing the morning after a thunderstorm when the air is crisp and clear.

Les

This time of year EVERY morning is the morning after a thunderstorm. :) It pretty much looks like that every day... though, you're right, there was something extra going on that morning. We've seen a drop in the humidity and it has cooled a bit since the first of the month. It's been quite nice. Good sunsets at the beach too. Need to put some time aside to shoot. :)

Thanks.

JT

What a versatile camera !

I really enjoy using the Digilux 2; and the forum.

Just a small selection of 'images' !

[ATTACH]221194[/ATTACH]

Orchid

All the best,

David

It is lovely to see your first D2 shots in Cumbria, David. How wise to choose soft daylight for the orchid picture where you have captured its glorious detail and colour.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

an orchid I am not

no black leather settee

to keep me steady

I gently sway in warm

caribbean breeze

easy prey for passing storms

and marauding dogs LEICA D2

• Like 1

When I first lurked into this thread early last year, I knew I was hooked....

I had no luck getting it locally in Singapore and don't feel safe buying it off ebay.

I KIVed the D2 and prayed for the price to drop..... IT DIDN'T!!!

Fast forward to 2 days ago. I finally got my hands on 1! A Mint-ish condition D2 with almost full box and contents. I will take it out for a walk this coming weekend and hopefully I can get some keeper pics to share. It didn't fare well in my room due to extremely poor placement of only 1 lighting point. But I did set up my light box for some product shots so, I tried shooting my canon set up with the D2.

But firstly, let me show off my Minty D2 first! Shot with the canon.

RedDot.jpg

D2.jpg

This is a shot of my canon set up shot with the D2 in a light box with a 550EX flash.

Cropped and slight Curve PP. ISO100. Auto AF Macro. 0.30s.

No Distinctive D2 Look in this photo but I love the resolution and details it can achieve.

LeicaShot7D.jpg

Will aim to shoot something more relevant and interesting in the days to come. Thanks for getting me hooked.... :D

Some lil' Digilux 2 got a new big brother and bunk mate. Just arrived to day. These were shot with a Digilux 2 and the ELPRO-D E69 close up attachment employed for the lens shot.

The Polaroid 110A/B is a fully restored rangefinder converted to accept Polaroid peel-apart pack-film (3.25x4.25). The covering is Ostrich leg. The restoration work is phenomenal.

JT

Edited by John Thawley

Saw 2 shots of cars by Stuart in the photo forums. Think they were shot by the Digilux 2. the details and rendering were astounding, not to mention sharpness and "Pop". My brother has a Panny LC-1 hanging around somewhere, is that the same model?

If yes, I might swipe it from him, since he is now using a combination of DP2s & Samsung NX10.

Saw 2 shots of cars by Stuart in the photo forums. Think they were shot by the Digilux 2. the details and rendering were astounding, not to mention sharpness and "Pop". My brother has a Panny LC-1 hanging around somewhere, is that the same model?

If yes, I might swipe it from him, since he is now using a combination of DP2s & Samsung NX10.

Go get it. A digilux2/lc1 plus X1 is a great combo.

And my D300 for macro w/105mm & 60mm f2.8. A complete system for all occasions without spending a cent more?...thanks!

In contrast, I have the 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R too (assuming that's the lens you mean) and I prefer the D2 with Elpro-D because of the photos it produces, because I can go closer with it and because I have the full range of macro from 28 to 90 mm (and it's AF when I need it).:)

On the other hand, the D2 can't beat my 100/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R for sheer resolution and detail but for the D2 to be competing in such esteemed company says an awful lot about this humble camera.

Pete.

Edited by farnz

In contrast, I have the 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R too (assuming that's the lens you mean) and I prefer the D2 with Elpro-D because of the photos it produces, because I can go closer with it and because I have the full range of macro from 28 to 90 mm (and it's AF when I need it).:)

On the other hand, the D2 can't beat my 100/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R for sheer resolution and detail but for the D2 to be competing in such esteemed company says an awful lot about this humble camera.

Pete.

Sorry Pete, I meant the nikkors...oopphs...I use my Nikon kit for work, mostly product shots.

The X1 is for leisure.

In find it hard to get hold of the R lenses. I would love to get hold of some but here in the used market there isnt many in the stores. I prefer to buy when I can physically try out the lenses but R lenses are apparently popular so those who have them are unlikely to part with unless for an exorbitant sum??!!

You guys ahve my mind made up, gonna swipe the LC1 from my brother haha:D

This was the exact shot that sparked my interest in the D2, taken by Stuart.

Sorry Stuart i took the liberty to repost. There was another shot too.