Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

I am the proud new owner of one.

I bought two 2GB SD cards at a super store for $9 each.

In RAW, I find it suits the way I like to shoot.

From my first walkabout.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Lello bookstore, in Porto-Portugal.

One of the must beautiful bookstore in the world.

The stairs details of Lello bookstore in Porto-Portugal.

Edited by Azeredo

[quote=wparsonsgisnet;

The problems for me were the 6-second wait for the files to write to the SD card and the evf-lag. What you see is not what you will capture. The solution is a piece of cake. I got a 28mm finder and quickly calibrated me to the sensor lag. No problem.

Please explain further and forgive my ignorance. How did this finder calibrate the sensor lag?:confused: One solution that helped me with missed and out of focus shots is the burst mode as detailed by Thorsten review of the Digilux 2. I sure this adds to additional time to write files but ultimately you get better images.:)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks like the one in Harry Potter movie

And it is. They did some shots there.

[]

Azeredo

Edited by Azeredo

Straight out of camera JPG

• Like 1

I would be interested to hear others "in camera" contrast and sharpness settings for their D2 B&W JPG files. I primarily use PP to adjust levels but I am curious as to what others do. Since they are JPG's I want to do the least amount of adjustments after they leave the camera. For my D-lux 4 Dynamic BW does the trick for most images.Thoughts?

I would be interested to hear others "in camera" contrast and sharpness settings for their D2 B&W JPG files. I primarily use PP to adjust levels but I am curious as to what others do. Since they are JPG's I want to do the least amount of adjustments after they leave the camera. For my D-lux 4 Dynamic BW does the trick for most images.Thoughts?

Shoot with the default settings. To my thinking, it is important to have a baseline starting point that you can rely on. If you change a camera setting, that adjustment is now "baked in"... you can't go back without forsaking image quality.

The Digilux 2 rights terrific jpgs that require very little post work...

For black and white, I personally like putting the camera's white balance into black and white mode so I can actually see and shoot in black and white. And, the image quality produced is outstanding.

Beyond that, I typically only adjust the power of the flash since I like to bounce it and use it for fill now and then.

JT

I like John Thawley's suggestions to leave it at the default setting so you learn how they work and do any adjustments in PP. Worked great for me since I always end up loading the photos in Aperture anyway.

Alberto

PS I just saw that John beat me to the post by one (1) minute :-). In that case, consider this an endorsement of his suggestion.

wow. i have to agree

out of interest, how do people get round the ISO 100 limitation? --- ain't it limiting?

I don't find it that limiting at all. You can easily hand hold the Digilux 2 down to 1/15 sec if you're paying attention. Put it in the 3-shot burst mode.... one of the three should be good.

I have used the higher ISO settings for black and white shooting and it can result in a pleasing look. Just be sure to expose for the shadows and not the highlights... you'll get a cleaner image.

JT

wow. i have to agree

out of interest, how do people get round the ISO 100 limitation? --- ain't it limiting?

I am an old man, did a lot of slides with Kodachrome 25 :D

In low light, use monopod (also as walking stick), and always carry a chest/hand tripod.

The 3 shots technique, is fundamental saving.

I know this is something that's been covered but I though that asking here in the presence of truly dedicated users of these camera I might get some better insight:

What if anything might you see different using the LC-1 vs. the D2? I'd like to shoot jpeg and likely to use B&W mode about half of the time. Some color work though, but I truly dislike post processing so I'd rather shoot jpeg and just make minor tweaks to print.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Well curiosity got the better of me and I picked up a Digilux 2 from ebay a couple of weeks ago. Not really had time to use it as yet as I've been so busy with work.

I did snap this when I was over in England last week an my god daughter and I went to feed the ducks:

181654489.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1288305855&Signature=HzjL491MsBn28rNnBI7pkGKYQG0%3D

Oh and hi everyone, I'm new here, and also new to Leicas.