Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Digilux 2 excels in the ARCHITECTURE Forum

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

The Digilux 2 excels in the SPORTS Forum

• Like 3

Hi Rainer

Exposure is usually very good with the camera , I try pick up a mid tone through the viewfinder ( better than my M9P) I might add a vignette .

Process to BW, I add slight curves to add some pop, sharpen sometimes .

All done in Aperture 3.

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot. Yes, I was wondering, ´cause I don´t get these b/w pics ooc (after 2 L-C1s and right now a DL2 :-) Beautiful. DL2 stays and I have to warm it up.

Cheers

Rainer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A camera with emotion to capture my own emotion,

handheld at 1/4 sec, iso400 i think handheld is the strength of this camera

8565663556_ef1d2afab9_c.jpg

Trying to hold on to....life by MisiekBunnik, on Flickr

And look at that digital noise! Unless you've done sometime to it in PP it looks quite pleasing.

Alberto

• Like 1

New to forum, Leica and photopraphy. Hope I have the correct thread. Read a few but over 100 pages so here is my question(s)....However, after reading a number of the posts in this thread, looking at so many wonderful pictures, I plan to learn the D2 regardless. Thank you.

Paul

Paul, welcome to the forum!

The fact that you come to this forum with such a question qualifies you as a discerning person who is not easily dissuaded from what seems like a common sense course of action. Furthermore, you have a very good friend who has loaned/given you an old Digilux 2. Second, you will have seen the wide range of applications undertaken by forum members. (See my website section on D2)

I will add one extra piece of advice to that already given. I used the D2 for professional work before I retired and my pictures made the front cover without reservations. How did I cope with the ISO limitation? Whenever possible I always used the lowest ISO setting and used a tripod, either with the inbuilt self-timer or remote release. That meant that I gained the maximum quality without noise issues.

As a learning tool, I cannot think of a better instrument. I wish you a lot of luck and I'm sure you will impress your instructor provided you stick within the capabilities of the camera.

And look at that digital noise! Unless you've done sometime to it in PP it looks quite pleasing.

Alberto

Hello Alberto, thank you for the comment. I checked the lightroom settings and..

only slight curves! Lifted blacks, than slight drop before lifting the midtones again. Therefor a slight faded look. The digital noise is the nice iso400 grain, sorry noise!

ronald

Hello Alberto, thank you for the comment. I checked the lightroom settings and..

only slight curves! Lifted blacks, than slight drop before lifting the midtones again. Therefor a slight faded look. The digital noise is the nice iso400 grain, sorry noise!

ronald

It's very nice grain - sorry, noise :D. It makes me wish I had taken more chances with ISO 400 - especially in B&W. I look through all my shots but I was a chicken and rarely pushed it to 400. This decision was based on my early experiment with ISO 400 which were not too pleasing as far as digital noise goes. I had to go to SilverFX and add some artificial grain. But this photo shows otherwise.

Hey, this might be a "challenge" for this thread, can you post your ISO 400 D2 photos. Unretouched if possible.

Alberto

The winter weather excels in Italian SPRING time... :(

• Like 11

Sunset, Gig Harbor, Washington. "Leica light" in evidence.

• Like 4

Hi,

Just found 2012 photo of Lake Windermere,Cumbria.

2nd photo experiment with B& W

Regards

David

• Like 4

Yes, it was quite a long time since I used the ISO 400 settings on my Digilux 2.

I tried some shots. Here is my son, not so happy since he could not go to play in the snow...

• Like 5

Just another shot.

An old Lady who works with his family in a typical country agritourism in the North-Est of Italy

• Like 4

such as a ready tripod.

And a very steady subject :)

Indeed, the shutter of the Digilux 2 is so smooth that you can use it hand held at shutter speeds that are out of reach with normal DSLRs. I remember that when I owned a Nikon D2x, for having perfectly steady shoots I needed to put it on a tripod (for landascapes) even with 1/500 shutter speed. I understand that the D2x was mainly inteded to shoot sports, but the shutter and the AF iteself were very... brute.

• Like 1