Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

"Playing with Light (1)"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just playing around and practicing. Not up to the usual standard found here, but here goes.

At least it keeps the thread going.

• Like 4

My daughter after a swim, at her fairy birthday party, and with her new pup:

• Like 5

New to forum, Leica and photopraphy. Hope I have the correct thread. Read a few but over 100 pages so here is my question(s). Signed up for an online digital photography class to get me started. Looking for a DSLR as I was instructed. A colleague of mine came in to my office with a Leica Digilux 2 that had been sitting on his shelf for 8 years. He said take it and have fun. Emailed instructor and he suggested I get a modern DSLR. Why??? Seems I can learn digital photography that is more "hands on" with the D2.

Is a D2 and a DSLR really different animals? I am reading a lot so I understand the "mechanics" are different in how the image is captured. I was looking at used Nikon D80's as my budget is tight. Perhaps get one and compare and contrast the differences as I learn with both cameras? Not sure. Perhaps the applications for each will be presented. Without experience of any sort, I do not understand the advantages and disadvantages of their (DSLR vs D2) respective use and where an seasoned photographer would make use of each piece.

However, after reading a number of the posts in this thread, looking at so many wonderful pictures, I plan to learn the D2 regardless. Thank you.

Paul

New to forum, Leica and photopraphy. Hope I have the correct thread. Read a few but over 100 pages so here is my question(s). Signed up for an online digital photography class to get me started. Looking for a DSLR as I was instructed. A colleague of mine came in to my office with a Leica Digilux 2 that had been sitting on his shelf for 8 years. He said take it and have fun. Emailed instructor and he suggested I get a modern DSLR. Why??? Seems I can learn digital photography that is more "hands on" with the D2.

Is a D2 and a DSLR really different animals? I am reading a lot so I understand the "mechanics" are different in how the image is captured. I was looking at used Nikon D80's as my budget is tight. Perhaps get one and compare and contrast the differences as I learn with both cameras? Not sure. Perhaps the applications for each will be presented. Without experience of any sort, I do not understand the advantages and disadvantages of their (DSLR vs D2) respective use and where an seasoned photographer would make use of each piece.

However, after reading a number of the posts in this thread, looking at so many wonderful pictures, I plan to learn the D2 regardless. Thank you.

Paul

If I were teaching a digital photography course, I'd be thrilled to have a student show up with a D2. You have manual exposure, aperture and focus, you can learn and practice all the basics. The only drawback is that the ISO peaks at 400 and the files are 5MB instead of 20MB+ and, perhaps, the rather low-quality view-finder. But the photos speak for themselves.

If it's good enough for some pros who still use it, it should be good enough for your class.

Alberto

New to forum, Leica and photopraphy. Hope I have the correct thread. ... <snipped for convenience> ... However, after reading a number of the posts in this thread, looking at so many wonderful pictures, I plan to learn the D2 regardless. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum, Paul!

The D2 will do very well for you particularly as a learning tool. What it lacks in megapixel power against current cameras it makes up in in-camera post-processing; as you've seen here the jpegs it produces are superb. When you're shooting raw pictures you might find it a little slower to read the files to the SD card than other cameras in the class but I find that forces you to slow down and think a little more.

My suspicion is that the instructor is unfamiliar with the D2 and might feel a bit threatened that he won't be able to answer your questions - not a valid reason for wanting you to spend your money to buy another camera.

I think you've made the right decision to stick with the D2 and you'll appreciate it later. If you want to continue the discussion may I suggest that you start a separate thread in the Digital sub-fourm here so that this thread can return to pictures made with the D2?:)

Pete.

A couple more recent shots. First, Mars Cheese Castle. Second, the top of my dresser. Love the bokeh of this lens...

• Like 4

The Digilux 2 excels in the PEOPLE Forum.

• Like 8

The Digilux 2 excels in the STREET Forum

• Like 9

The Digilux 2 excels in the NATURE and WILDLIFE Forum

• Like 6

The Digilux 2 excels in the LANDSCAPE and TRAVEL Forum

• Like 4