Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

By the way, the last shot was ISO 400, and since the Christmas market here started yesterday, I took my D700 with a Nikkor 105 2.8 VR Micro with me today. The very same wood turner had his booth there and guess what: it seems like the above combo wasn't really able to reproduce the nice and smooth b/w shades as seen with the D2.

However, I have to admit that the D2 is a hate/love thing for me. It either captures the image in a stunning way, which makes me fiddle with Lightroom and at the end I keep the untouched picture or makes me throw the photo away immediately... :o

Anyone feeling the same way?

• Like 1

It's winter in England. Wintry tree taken with the Digilux 2 Monochrom.

Best to all

IANC

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, the time has come for me to part with my beloved D2. The entire rig, including the Elpro D....

I am sorry to read this news. Probably too late to join your inner debate but, finances apart, why not keep the D2 to complement your X1/X2? That is what I did. I find the D2 excels in certain fields and is more capable in the close up range.

• Like 3

Hypnosapien - I completely understand the logic. I understand the X1 is also a superb camera.

As has been said many times before, I am glad to see so many stellar images and that there continues to be an appreciation for this camera.

I had an LC1 that I purchased in 2007 that failed completely in early 2012.

With an M8, Digilux 3 and Olympus E-P2, I thought that I would be well-covered and that it was best to move on and leave the LC1 to rest. It was quirky, would mis-focus, wrote slow and only shot to ISO400 with spectacular grain!

I looked at the LX7 and saw the beautiful 24mm equivalent 1.4 Summilux and I thought, 'this would be a good replacement for that old LC1. As tempted as I was on the Black Friday sales when the LX7 appeared for $299, I couldn't justify the expense.

How surprising that just a week later, I would pull the trigger on a good condition Digilux 2 for nearly twice as much. I understand it's a completely emotional response and justification, but I do miss that camera. Its silver cousin will have to fill in. I'll post samples when I get out and shooting with the new 'Lux 2.

Thanks all. Look forward to more amazing shots from the group. :)

• Like 4

Ivan

Here, Here !!

After an expensive trip to our local camera store 2 weeks ago to purchase an M9P .

Which camera did I pick up this morning for my twenty minute walk, my Digilux 2

It still excels .

regards

Mike

One from our trip to liverpool in November .

iso 100 28mm F2 1/3rd second

• Like 8

By the way, the last shot was ISO 400, and since the Christmas market here started yesterday, I took my D700 with a Nikkor 105 2.8 VR Micro with me today. The very same wood turner had his booth there and guess what: it seems like the above combo wasn't really able to reproduce the nice and smooth b/w shades as seen with the D2.

Yes indeed. Again demonstrated by IanC's and Mike's photos, it's very difficult to beat the D2 rich and smooth b/w shades. :)

Now that I've had mine for a few months, I'm definitely starting to see the soul of this camera more and more. It's a quirky machine and the ISO 400 limitation is difficult at times. Still, indeed the images very much have the Leica Look to them. LOVE this camera - and sadly my D-Lux 4 which I also love has been neglected. The images recently posted here attest indeed to the distinctive aura given to photos made with this camera.

Distinctive look? Yes, perhaps they do. Here's why. I took some very ordinary snaps inside a newly extended home. To my surprise the owners phoned to say, "these are far better than anyone else has managed, and we've had several people taking photos." The owners are not photo enthusiasts, just ordinary people, but they saw a difference. To me, a Digilux 2 fan, the pics were nothing to get excited about, but here's one for your interest.

• Like 7

Digilux 2 Monochrom

iso 100 2 secs exposure 28mm @ F5.6, using a 3 stop ND filter .

• Like 10

Digilux 2 for sports anyone?

• Like 4

Three days without a post, shame on you .

The World famous Cavern, Liverpool

Digilux 2 Monochrom

ISO 400 F2 20th sec 28mm .

As well as his solo spot in the Cavern, he's George Harrison in the Beatles tribute band .

regards

Mike

• Like 6