Leica Apo-Summicron-M 2/50 APSH

jc_braconi

Hi lct,

Thanks a lot for the interesting chart! I have borrowed it from you to take a look at some of the current lenses in comparison to the 50 APO. Measurements may be slightly off since I have done it all by hand.

Cheers, Chris

[ATTACH]358603[/ATTACH]

If this is accurate, and I assume it is, the current Noctilux (which I agree is easy to focus) and the 75 Summicron (which I found a beast to consistently focus) have the same throw.

Does this mean that focus throw is not the issue?

Looking at the Summilux v APO comparison, any interest I had for the APO has evaporated. Now if someone could do a similar comparison between the 21 Summilux and the 21 SEM, I'd be happy!

Cheers

John

How is it possible that there is such a big difference in luminosity between lux at 2 and apo summicron at the same aperture? Even in the center. Also the difference in blur amount is pretty strange, the lenses are any way pretty "perfect" and should not exhibit aberrations causing such a big difference in blur size. These pictures obviously were not something that would get advantage of APO, so please keep posting more critical scenes. But then, the difference is too small to be visible on this size anyway. Waste of time.

But then, the difference is too small to be visible on this size anyway. Waste of time.

You might want to try a "Right Click" on the images ;)

@IkarusJohn The Noctilux focusses only down to 1m, that makes a huge difference, even if the max. rotating angle is the same.

• Like 1

Thanks! And in deed one can see that the blur circles, even in this not so critical scene (snow) can be seen to be somewhat outlined in APO, which does explain the difference in size. Lux does spread them more evenly. What a dissappointment.

This is what I have noticed in all of the previous images from the 50mm Summicron APO at f/2.0 so far, where there are highlight blur circles, It's not bad it's just similar to images from a 50mm Summicron at f/2.

There hasn't been a lens which has met with such a lukewarm reception that I can remember.

While personally I don't like the Apo-Summicron-M 50 Asph's insanely short focus throw, I still think that both forum members Bobu and Bundestrainer are suffering from buyer's remorse more than anything else. Both have decided to sell their brand-new Apo-Summicron lenses long before they were able to appreciate what this lens really is about, in comparison to other Leica M 50 mm lenses such as the Summilux-M 50 Asph. When buying such a lens and selling it after less than a week, you're far from making an well-considered decision; instead, you're just fooling around, wasting more thoughts about money than about the lens.

• Like 2

While personally I don't like the Apo-Summicron-M 50 Asph's insanely short focus throw, I still think that both forum members Bobu and Bundestrainer are suffering from buyer's remorse more than anything else. Both have decided to sell their brand-new Apo-Summicron lenses long before they were able to appreciate what this lens really is about, in comparison to other Leica M 50 mm lenses such as the Summilux-M 50 Asph. When buying such a lens and selling it after less than a week, you're far from making an well-considered decision; instead, you're just fooling around, wasting more thoughts about money than about the lens.

Agree, I am still looking forward to mine when it becomes available and will be for use on my MM.

Just a quick report from the field ... I took the APO out for an hour and some on Saturday and am absolutely sold on the lens. The image quality is truly excellent. Given the light, there were no issues with focussing at all. I have posted a couple of shots here, in case you want to see examples:

'59 Chevy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers, Chris

P.S. A bit further down in the photostream are some Monochrom shots with the 50 Summilux and Noctilux, which gives you a bit of a comparison.

Edited by hhanebeck
  • Like 2

Just a quick report from the field ... I took the APO out for an hour and some on Saturday and am absolutely sold on the lens. The image quality is truly excellent. Given the light, there were no issues with focussing at all. I have posted a couple of shots here, in case you want to see examples:

'59 Chevy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers, Chris

P.S. A bit further down in the photostream are some Monochrom shots with the 50 Summilux and Noctilux, which gives you a bit of a comparison.

Do you also keep the Summilux and Noctilux?

Do you also keep the Summilux and Noctilux?

Yes. To me all three serve different purposes. As you know the APO is great when you have good light, but I do not think I want to use it in low light. The Lux is easy to carry and all-around excellent. I use it a lot with film these days. The Nocti, ... well is just that.

How about you? Have you decided what to do with your APO?

Cheers, Chris

Yes. To me all three serve different purposes. As you know the APO is great when you have good light, but I do not think I want to use it in low light. The Lux is easy to carry and all-around excellent. I use it a lot with film these days. The Nocti, ... well is just that.

How about you? Have you decided what to do with your APO?

Cheers, Chris

Yes, I sold my APO. Maybe I decided too quickly to sell it but I'm happy with my current lens setup.

Hello Hannes,

When designing different floating element lenses the different designs will produce different types & ammounts of out of focuss images at different distances on either side of the image plane.

Its relevance is: This is another variable to consider when analyzing the image produced. It may be contributory to people's difficulty in focussing. This phenomenon may produce different results with different lenses.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Yes, I sold my APO. Maybe I decided too quickly to sell it but I'm happy with my current lens setup.

I am sorry you decided so rapidly to sell. There are so many posts here I have completely lost track of which 50(s) you are keeping. My APO is due in tomorrow. Not that I do not have too many 50's already. I will probably start out testing in real photos with my MM. Then put on the current 50/2 #11826, then graduate to an old 50/2 I have, #11819. To me that is the important "test".

I will eventually compare the APO with my 50/1.4 #11891 and also against my older 50/1.4 #11114. If I am not exhausted with all this crap by then, I will finally graduate to my Noctilux 0.95 #11602 and then my Noctilux 1.0 #11822.

I am not as good at all this "testing" as it seems the rest of you are, so I will not make eye-opening comments, but only what I truly like and dislike.

As for focusing, I respect John Buckley's comments as I know he is a serious Leica guy whom I had the pleasure of meeting during a Leica Akademie. He took very nice images from all perspectives, IMHO. I doubt my findings will differ or even add anything to his.

Due to bad weather here (i.e., unusually cold), I will not go out into the elements until the morning temperature is at least 60F degrees. After all this Florida!

P.S.- I just remembered that I used the APO on my MM at Photokina. I took a picture of a Leica employee with my 35FLE and then changed to the APO and took a similar image. I will have to look through those images to see if I can discern differences.

Edited by algrove

Lou - thanks so much, and I really look forward to seeing your images. I am keeping my APO 50, and plan on keeping my Summilux and Noctilux. I am finding it really hard to understand someone selling the APO after a few days, as I think you really need to learn how a lens like this behaves under different circumstances.

Having used the APO for only a few days, I feel like I am just scratching the surface of what it can do. My sense, though, is that this is going to be my favorite landscape lens, and think it is going to be great for portraits. Not as versatile as the Summilux, and not as magical as the Noctilux. But I think this is a great lens, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Can't wait to see your work! JB