Leica Apo-Summicron-M 2/50 APSH

jc_braconi

I want to want this lens so much, but when I think of the cost, I'd rather pick up another Noctilux, the f/1 version at least.

-jbl

also me. CURRENTLY, i don't feel the resolution upgrade is required with my current use (especially after price consideration). ATM, i would rather go for the noct f/1

I want to want this lens so much, but when I think of the cost, I'd rather pick up another Noctilux, the f/1 version at least.

-jbl

You already have the current Noc Jonathan. You would end up carrying around both of them and then you would need a new knee like I just got. I am patiently waiting for the APO to use on my MM.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For further information upon opening the APO 50 box:

1. Boxed similar to Noctilux, 24/1.4 and 21/1.4.

2. In a slot below the leather case is a boxed 39mm lens cap. I wondered why.

3. Because, on the lens is a black, felt lined metal lens cover which slips over the lens/lens hood. Reminded me of the older Leica M lenses which have plastic lens covers and harkens back to the old days when lens covers were metal, except many silver.

4. I am very pleased with the focusing tab which was missed on my 50/2.0.

5. The focus throw is short, but time will tell how I like or dislike that. I just focus usually and never fixate on that in my own photography.

6. Very unassuming looking little beast, I must say.

7. The swivel out hood is novel, but as many here mention it might be too short for some. That never bothers me.

8. This just might be my "go to" landscape lens.

9. Perfect lens for my MM.

10. Perfect lens for my M9.

11. Will be perfect lens for my M-240, someday soon.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 3

You'd hope so for the cost. Personally, I'd rather they stuck it in a felt bag like the Summarit lenses and knocked £100 off the price.

3. Because, on the lens is a black, felt lined metal lens cover which slips over the lens/lens hood. Reminded me of the older Leica M lenses which have plastic lens covers and harkens back to the old days when lens covers were metal, except many silver.

The Summarit lenses come with a felt-lined metal lens cap.

• Like 1

For further information upon opening the APO 50 box:

2. In a slot below the leather case is a boxed 39mm lens cap. I wondered why.

4. I am very pleased with the focusing tab which was missed on my 50/2.0.

5. The focus throw is short, but time will tell how I like or dislike that. I just focus usually and never fixate on that in my own photography.

6. Very unassuming looking little beast, I must say.

7. The swivel out hood is novel, but as many here mention it might be too short for some. That never bothers me.

8. This just might be my "go to" landscape lens.

9. Perfect lens for my MM.

10. Perfect lens for my M9.

11. Will be perfect lens for my M-240, someday soon.

Ah, Lou, happy for you. Glad you got it and looking forward to seeing pix.

I'm quite surprised at the Hilmo's 50/1.4 and 50/2 apo comparisons......

unlike a lot of the those commenting above I think there is a substantial difference between these two lenses...... although it is very difficult to describe precisely what you are seeing ...

I personally prefer the APO look .... but it is the price differential that really kills this lens...... if it was marginally more expensive than the 50/1.4 I would change ..... but not at this price :o

oh..... and all that wittering about focus throw etc..... c'mon guys its simple geometry.... the Noctilux is easy peasy to focus because it a huge barrel ....... just like the difference between a big steering wheel and a little one in a car ...... how much you have to grab hold of makes a huge difference...

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

I'm quite surprised at the Hilmo's 50/1.4 and 50/2 apo comparisons......

unlike a lot of the those commenting above I think there is a substantial difference between these two lenses...... although it is very difficult to describe precisely what you are seeing ...

I personally prefer the APO look .... but it is the price differential that really kills this lens...... if it was marginally more expensive than the 50/1.4 I would change ..... but not at this price :o

oh..... and all that wittering about focus throw etc..... c'mon guys its simple geometry.... the Noctilux is easy peasy to focus because it a huge barrel ....... just like the difference between a big steering wheel and a little one in a car ...... how much you have to grab hold of makes a huge difference...

I agree with you on every aspect. I also prefer the 50/2 APO but the price difference is huge. Unfortunately.

Finally had time to catch a sunset here since I could go out in a polo shirt. Nothing great just a OOC Jpeg. APO 50 at f4.0. All the following images are also at f4.0.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by algrove

Now the 50/2.0 normal version. I call it Version 5. Keep in mid the sun IS setting. All shot at f4.0.

OK, so here is the Version 2, 50/2.0 #11819. The sun is still getting lower.

Now the sun is very low and about ready to go. Here is the 50/1.4 lux also at 4.0.

The last one is the best but there is a pesky sensor spot in your shots.

Thanks. Yes I see it. Normally when optimizing images I just clone it out. I hate sensor cleaning!

Just curious, why do you say the last one is the best? How about this one? Again OOC jpeg like the rest.

Edited by algrove

If an image is "pictorially (Steiglitz)" pleasing and/or historically significant (be it "local" for family/friends or "global" for international printed publication), does it really matter how or with what it was captured?

As much as I like to follow reports of this APO Summicron 50 and all other new releases, I can't help but feeling a wee bit of the swindle factor. Can a computer generated jpeg from the internet viewed on varying monitors really define the nuances of a lens' technical qualities AND if so, what is this contribution to the image itself?

Offense not the intent; all comments welcome.

If an image is "pictorially (Steiglitz)" pleasing and/or historically significant (be it "local" for family/friends or "global" for international printed publication), does it really matter how or with what it was captured?

As much as I like to follow reports of this APO Summicron 50 and all other new releases, I can't help but feeling a wee bit of the swindle factor. Can a computer generated jpeg from the internet viewed on varying monitors really define the nuances of a lens' technical qualities AND if so, what is this contribution to the image itself?

Offense not the intent; all comments welcome.

How true. No offense taken. To me DNG is the only way to judge an image, but sadly the internet does not yet allow one to look at raw images of others. Plus OOC images (jpeg or otherwise) need optimization as do all digital images, IMHO.

Edited by algrove