Just bought M8.2 with Coffe Stain on LCD

Pablo LeicaM8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks! Yes definitely a M8.2 :)

What threw me off was the shiny looking hotshoe in both of first two images of the rear of the camera, I suppose it's reflections from a light source.

Very nice camera, congratulations!

Thank you, let's see what I can do with it!

Edited by Pablo LeicaM8

Mine has the same problem. May be worse as some time I can see "ghost" image inside this coffee stain. It happens after I use firmware utility to check detailed info and let the LCD display still info-frame for some minutes.

In camera normal operation mode, this stain is most visible when I set display brightness in highest level. When in low level, it seems to be disappeared.

But if I check display by firmware utility, the stain can be seen very clear if brightness level is low and disappear if level is high.

Does anyone have an idea?

Regards,

"Ghost image inside Coffee stain"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

"Ghost image inside Coffee stain"

very strange indeed! I can't read what it says completely....but does it say a date? May something? It seems like an image from the screen is possibly burned into the screen....hmm.

Probably a ghost image of the firmware info viewed by the OP previously.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Spooky indeed... yes it looks like is 'burned' in to the screen like on an old monitor... never seen this on a camera LCD before...

Aren't many Leica owners often in search of something special?

If my M8s will also turn "spooky" ... :D

Thanks for all your replies.

It was exactly as some of you said: firmware info. Actually, it can be any information that previously displayed on my LCD for a certain period of time. After some hours, it will disappear. But the stain seems to be there forever.

Should I claim this issue to Leica? Does the replacement/upgrade offered by Leica cover this issue or only for the fault/disfunction LCD?

Regards,

Edited by luongngocthanh

This is the official stuff, a bit abridged:

Question: What exactly is it with the displays for the M8?

Stefan Daniel: One of several lots of the displays used in the M8 was flawed. They could develop what is known as a „Coffee Stain“, a partial discoloration of the display. The affected cameras were in perfect working order and all menus could be operated, but it certainly looked ugly. At the time the problem became known the vendor of the part did not produce it any more. Therefore, Leica could not re-order the parts. (...)

Because of this we offer replacement with a LEICA M9 if the LEICA M8 is still in warranty. After the warranty we offer the replacement with an additional payment. The amount of the payment depends on the camera‘s age. (...)

Question: How many cases have there been so far?

Stefan Daniel: The flawed display was used in a few hundred out of a production of several ten thousand cameras. We’re speaking about a few percents, at most. If you have this problem, please contact our Customer Care and you will receive our offer.

Question: How much will the update cost?

Jesko v. Oeynhausen: The offer will be attractive in any event, much less than in other circumstances.

Jean-Jacques Viau: Some of the prices mentioned in the Leica Forum were much too high and did not correspond to the official prices set by Leica. This has now been coordinated all over the world.

Source and unabridged version: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/news/257136-leica-photokina-q-transcript.html
  • Like 1

... mine has the same issue when the "set menu" is on for some time. It has fewer text since the stain is just smaller. I can live with it, and I really noticed it because I am playing a lot of time with the new toy.

I think it is an associated problem to the coffee stain, so you can choose to keep it or to go the M9 route, at a expense (as explained in this thread). At least you have the option...

By the way, I manually coded the 50mm Summicron, and now I get the 50mm in the exif data (worth to me since I only own one lens .....lol.....),

.... and yes, snapshop mode is just to point and shoot, so I understand nobody uses it.

With the 50mm there is no S mode info when pressing the info button, I red it is so from 50mm on (longer lenses). Can anyone confirm that it is not shown for 50mm? Thanks

• Like 1

(…) With the 50mm there is no S mode info when pressing the info button, I red it is so from 50mm on (longer lenses). Can anyone confirm that it is not shown for 50mm? (…)

The info mode is disabled when the shutter speed dial is set on "S". Set it otherwise and you should get a screen like this:

The info mode is disabled when the shutter speed dial is set on "S". Set it otherwise and you should get a screen like this:

I'm looking for this type of menu (see pic), I can not get it when in S mode & I press the info button (as said on manual). I just want to confirm that it is not shown when using 50mm or longer (I red this on other thread and seems odd)...:confused:

Thanks

Ah yes i did not get it sorry but i did not know this feature. I have not all my lenses with me here but it seems that this special info screen is disabled with uncoded lenses and with coded 50's and above. Does work with my coded 28 and 24 for instance but neither with uncoded 35 nor with coded 50 or 90. Coded 35? I don't know as i have only my uncoded 35/1.4 pre-asph with me.

• Like 1

I can't get it to work with a 75 summarit, but I have seen it working with a 28mm lens. I expect the depth of field is too shallow with longer lenses since it works by setting the aperture to a size which ensures that enough depth of field exists that you don't need to tell the wife how to focus the lens.

I am on the verge of sending back my M8 with a coffee stain on the LCD. I am interested in an exchange offer for an M9-P.

My dealer told me that the production of M9-M9P ceased in August and that there are no more M9-P available at the factory. He fears that the exchange offer will only be valid for a M-E.

My problem is that I am not interested in a M-E (I don't like the color).

What do you think?

Thanks.

I would be very tempted and would try and convince myself that I could live with what is essentially, a fairly neutral unobtrusive colour. Most of the camera is black anyway. The advantages of a technically superior young camera with a fresh warranty would win with me.

• Like 1

Thank you, let's see what I can do with it!

:) Trying my M8.2 with coffe stain!

Thank you for the support!

All sizes | 2012 ? | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

• Like 2