LCD screen protector needed or not?

75 suited

@75 suited  I have had a M-P 240 Safari for many years now - it also has the sapphire glass rear screen.  The screen is as mint as the day the camera came out of the box. 

There is no need for a screen protector on a sapphire glass rear screen in my experience - but then I am careful with my multi-thousand dollar M cameras. 

Just my experience, YMMV.

• Like 2

I wish that I had a screen protector on my watch with sapphire glass. 🙂
When moving a bit of furniture, my hand grazed a wall and now I have a permanent (and deep) reminder scratch just on top of the 12. 😱😞

So if you try really hard, or in other words, hit the wrong thing, it will scratch. OTOH, in normal use there should not be an issue. I should have removed my watch before doing the heavy lifting... And you should not drop a camera or hit a rock with the back while walking.

Depends on how you use your camera, I suppose. I have put a simple screen protector film on all my back screens. Most of them need it anyway because they only have gorilla glass (like used on the iPhones). Like the SL and TL2, if I remember right. With most camera's, I use a half case as well, which will be more helpful in most accidental cases anyway.

• Thanks 1

...And you should not drop a camera or hit a rock with the back while walking...

Perhaps Leica needs to add that warning to all its digital cameras. 

We now live in the epoch of the clueless that makes statement of the monumentally obvious compulsive.  Some automobile manufacturers are now putting warnings in their owner's manuals stating that one should not drink the liquid contained in the car's battery:

...new owner's manuals are nearly as thick as a small dictionary. Mostly they're full of warnings about things you shouldn't do. The typical new-car manual has such important information as, "Warning! Do not drink the liquid contents of the battery..."

Source:  https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a13082/2420976/

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

Perhaps Leica needs to add that warning to all its digital cameras. 

We now live in the epoch of the clueless that makes statement of the monumentally obvious compulsive.  Some automobile manufacturers are now putting warnings in their owner's manuals stating that one should not drink the liquid contained in the car's battery:

Source:  https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a13082/2420976/

New vehicles (at least some) have hybrid batteries. Totally sealed with no liquid. The dealer explained to me a couple of weeks ago the computer will tell me when the battery is going bad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

New vehicles (at least some) have hybrid batteries. Totally sealed with no liquid. The dealer explained to me a couple of weeks ago the computer will tell me when the battery is going bad. 

We still have older vehicles on the road with older batteries, though.

And we still have the Tide laundry detergent pod eaters.

Edited by Herr Barnack

4 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

We still have older vehicles on the road with older batteries, though.

And we still have the Tide laundry detergent pod eaters.

The pod eaters and battery juice aficionados are natures way of thinning the herd. 

• Thanks 1

I have my m240 safari whose lcd was sapphire, there was a hairline scratch, but i think it is the coating not the glass itself, not too worrying as i applied screen protector and it diminished, however i will add screen protector regardless

my TAG heuer whose glass is sapphire too, have scratches over the year though not deep visible at an angle, on the surface

I say get the protector - I always use them (I do not baby my cameras) - and it increases the resale value having a perfect screen. I bought a relatively inexpensive one for my M11 and it went on perfectly - can’t even see it. Jacket hardware is a definite concern when dangling the camera from a neck strap…

As for watch crystals - mine get scratched all the time! I just had mine replaced.

I somehow cannot scratch the sapphire on my Longines. The stainless steel body has been repolished twice - actually should be done a third time by now, but the glass is pristine. 

Despite the fame associated with the strength of sapphire crystal glass, it must be remembered that it is resistant to scratches that spread over a wide surface area. But in terms of material density, sapphire crystal is relatively considered brittle. In other words, the sapphire crystal screen provides great protection against scratches, but you should make sure that your Leica M11P camera screen does not meet a sharp metallic object in its path.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rolex+%2B+broken+%2B+sapphire+crystal&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjs-aiom-yDAxX_mScCHfYlBp4Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=rolex+%2B+broken+%2B+sapphire+crystal&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDFCFD1iP5TFgiPoxaABwAHgAgAHcAogB9gmSAQcwLjMuMi4xmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=h92rZayaNP-znsEP9suY8Ak&bih=607&biw=1366

1 hour ago, huwm said:

Do we know what the lcd in the various Leica models is covered with?

Gorilla, maybe use protector, sapphire probably not

Thinking of my own Q3 and SL2 S specifically

M11P and M11M have sapphire. Q3 does not. I have a protector on my Q3 but not my M11P

• Like 1