Just bought M8.2 with Coffe Stain on LCD

Pablo LeicaM8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

you got a good deal. personally i do not have any issues with my screen---however thanks for posting a photo of the screen stain....as i'd never seen it before. I don't think it's really a big deal. Especially if you are going to keep the camera for a long time.....IF you were thinking of keeping it for a short time, then perhaps you should return it as the defect may affect resale value. Otherwise, just enjoy it and use it! The M8 is an amazing tool for everyday photography!

you got a good deal. personally i do not have any issues with my screen---however thanks for posting a photo of the screen stain....as i'd never seen it before. I don't think it's really a big deal. Especially if you are going to keep the camera for a long time.....IF you were thinking of keeping it for a short time, then perhaps you should return it as the defect may affect resale value. Otherwise, just enjoy it and use it! The M8 is an amazing tool for everyday photography!

@iedei: did you keep your M8u above the floods in Brooklyn:confused:

Any pics?

John

@iedei: did you keep your M8u above the floods in Brooklyn:confused:

Any pics?

John

John...thanks for asking. we are OK. the city is really a bit of a mess though :(

i have some pics...but they were taken the night of the hurricane when i was walking around. the wind was too much and it was very dark, so i'm afraid most of them did not come out very good.

This is the email I got from my Leica Dealer about the M8 M8.2 Upgrade to a M9:

Beste Jip,

Ik heb al de prijzen binnen gekregen van Leica en dit zie hieronder de kosten voor omruiling buiten de garantie periode:

Within warranty period (2 years): free of charge Within three years: 1500.- EUR (M9) and 1920.- EUR (M9-P) Within four years: 2000.- EUR (M9) and 2420.- EUR (M9-P) Within five years: 2500.- EUR (M9) and 2920.- EUR (M9-P) Within six years: 3000 EUR (M9) and 3420.- EUR (M9-P)

Mochten er nog vragen zijn dan hoor ik het wel van je,

groeten,

Duncan.

• Like 1

The above prices for the swap of unrepairable M8 vs. M9(P) are consistent with a similar proposal an Italian customer told me about.

@Pablo : frankly , my advice is that you keep it as is : you have a very good lens and a camera that works fine, with an annoying (but no more than) effect on the viewing LCD; no reason for you can't enjoy an take good pictures with it; if you try the "swap" route NOW, you'll end up spending around the same that you spent (supposed they make you a proposal in the above range) : this would mean, anyway, to end up with a M9(P) new with warranty at a decent (maybe good !) final price... but IS THIS THAT YOU WANT ? I think that the "swap" policy for M8 will go on and, should you one day suffer a real problem, you won't end up with a higher proposal than now, and maybe with more alternatives tho choose between.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the price is a little too high for this combo with the coffee stain. I would personally have thought that around €1.8 to €2K would be closer to what I might be prepared to pay. M8 prices have been declining a fair bit in recent months. I have an upgraded M8 with sapphire screen and improved frames but original 1/8000 shutter retained (not too noisy). It is covered in Rollei leather and has a chrome Thumbie. I think I would be pleasantly surprised to get much over €1400 for it were I to sell. I think you would have to knock off €300 for the coffee stain and therefore I think that €1300 is far too much for an old Summicron.

Wilson

Hello Luigi,

I will use this quote to thank you and all the Forum participants for their comments and advise :)

I contacted the seller and explained the problem, she kindly said that she didn't see the Coffee Stain, otherwise she'd have mentioned it on the ebay ad, she also offered me to choose sending it back or take a 150€ partial refund.

Before getting there, I was in the mood of keeping it since at a given point I could try the M9 route to not totally waste the money (if eventually the lcd was getting black for good).

After the refund I had no more doubts, I love the camera and lense....

.... so I'm a happy owner of a "to me" new M8.2 camera.

From now on, I won't look back and I plan to keep it for a long time, you have to master it to really enjoy it.

Now it is time to go out and take some photographs, to enjoy the process and work out this passion you all share.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY !

I have made a final decission,

The above prices for the swap of unrepairable M8 vs. M9(P) are consistent with a similar proposal an Italian customer told me about.

@Pablo : frankly , my advice is that you keep it as is : you have a very good lens and a camera that works fine, with an annoying (but no more than) effect on the viewing LCD; no reason for you can't enjoy an take good pictures with it; if you try the "swap" route NOW, you'll end up spending around the same that you spent (supposed they make you a proposal in the above range) : this would mean, anyway, to end up with a M9(P) new with warranty at a decent (maybe good !) final price... but IS THIS THAT YOU WANT ? I think that the "swap" policy for M8 will go on and, should you one day suffer a real problem, you won't end up with a higher proposal than now, and maybe with more alternatives tho choose between.

• Like 7

Good decision (any decision that leads to enthusiasm for taking pics is a good one).

In this case you bought from a fair dealing seller, and the problem is one Leica is prepared to handle. Many are not so fortunate. There are many honest sellers around, but I prefer to buy from a reputable Leica dealer that will provide warranty and stand behind the product if there are issues.

Glad things worked out in your case. Happy shooting.

Jeff

I'm unsure if this is an upgraded version of an M8, and not M8.2

Looks like black paint but the flash shoe is also not black like it should be on an M8.2

Does this camera have the 'snapshot mode'? 1/8000 shutter speed?

Not that it matters, I prefer the M8u... to an M8.2

Edited by Erik Gunst Lund

I'm unsure if this is an upgraded version of an M8, and not M8.2

Looks like black paint but the flash shoe is also not black like it should be on an M8.2

Does this camera have the 'snapshot mode'? 1/8000 shutter speed?

Not that it matters, I prefer the M8u... to an M8.2

interesting point....very true. does it say "M8.2" on the hotshoe? if not then this is an M8.1 (updated M8)

The red dot striked me when seeing the ad. I questioned the seller about M8u or M8.2, she said it was one of the first M8.2.

Everything matches except the red dot: vulcanite finish, sapphire cristal cover, black paint (yes, less durable as I can tell from the botton plate), the hot shoe is black with M8.2 engreaved, it only goes till 1/4000 and it has the S mode (that I have not tested since I need a 6bit coded lense). I guess first owner changed the black one (that I'd rather prefer) for the more conspicous red one.

I am planning to manual code the 50mm with a permanet marker (as explained in many forums), mainly to check the S mode.

Find attached another pic, topview.

Regards

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I've used an M8 for two years, so far, and still am. I've noticed this coffee stain on my lcd this spring, after having not used the camera myself for 2-3 months, for various reasons.

It was quite big, occupying 1/3 of the screen in the center. It didn't bother me too much so i forgot about it. In the summer I updated to the latest firmware.

At some point my coffee stain dissappeared. I gues it fixed itself somehow. I can't remember if this happenned before or after the update.

Just wanted to let you guys know that with my M8, the problem dissappeared within 6 months of it's first sighting.

I've used an M8 for two years, so far, and still am. I've noticed this coffee stain on my lcd this spring, after having not used the camera myself for 2-3 months, for various reasons.

It was quite big, occupying 1/3 of the screen in the center. It didn't bother me too much so i forgot about it. In the summer I updated to the latest firmware.

At some point my coffee stain dissappeared. I gues it fixed itself somehow. I can't remember if this happenned before or after the update.

Just wanted to let you guys know that with my M8, the problem dissappeared within 6 months of it's first sighting.

Nothing to do with the firmware update, I did it yesterday from 2.004 to 2.014, and it stays there as a hardware thing.

In my case it's really the size of a coffee grain (not that big), and I only notice it when the background is pale/clear as a white wall, or when I look for it when navigating the options menu and setting a light grey in the center.

In your case it is a ghost stain... and you were lucky it dissapeared... lol :)

The red dot striked me when seeing the ad. I questioned the seller about M8u or M8.2, she said it was one of the first M8.2.

Everything matches except the red dot: vulcanite finish, sapphire cristal cover, black paint (yes, less durable as I can tell from the botton plate), the hot shoe is black with M8.2 engreaved, it only goes till 1/4000 and it has the S mode (that I have not tested since I need a 6bit coded lense). I guess first owner changed the black one (that I'd rather prefer) for the more conspicous red one.

I am planning to manual code the 50mm with a permanet marker (as explained in many forums), mainly to check the S mode.

Find attached another pic, topview.

Regards

Thanks! Yes definitely a M8.2 :)

What threw me off was the shiny looking hotshoe in both of first two images of the rear of the camera, I suppose it's reflections from a light source.

Very nice camera, congratulations!

Pablo,

You can usually get replacement black dots from David Llado at Leitax.com in Barcelona but he is out of stock at the moment. I sure you could ask David to email you when he has them again.

Wilson

• Like 1