Just bought M8.2 with Coffe Stain on LCD

Pablo LeicaM8

• 1 month later...

I wonder if it's anything to do with getting the LCD too warm? From leaving the screen on too long...or perhaps the camera getting too hot in the sun.

A hot LCD from sunshine may cause the delamination due to the glueing? The stain may reduce over time with the LCD sitting at room temperature for some time?

Perhaps don't leave your Leica sitting in the sun, or in a hot black camera bag?

Just a thought.

cheers David S :)

For what it is worth. I never use auto review and seldom CHIMP, and even so I got the issue. So LCD getting to warm because of being on too long can not be the cause IMO

Leaving it in the hot car or bag, could be, but in my country that can only happen in high summer. I noticed the stain beginning of December. May have been there for a while because it was only obvious on white background, but still it is a long time from August to December to be unnoticed. Certainly because I knew the issue existed and read about it in this forum around Juli.

Edited by dpitt

For what it is worth. I never use auto review and seldom CHIMP, and even so I got the issue. So LCD getting to warm because of being on too long can not be the cause IMO

Leaving it in the hot car or bag, could be, but in my country that can only happen in high summer. I noticed the stain beginning of December. May have been there for a while because it was only obvious on white background, but still it is a long time from August to December to be unnoticed. Certainly because I knew the issue existed and read about it in this forum around Juli.

Hi Dirk

Good input.

So living in a colder climate...did your camera go through many "freeze-thaw" periods. ie outside shooting in cold weather, then back to a warm house?? Or was your camera kept pretty well at an even temperature?

I'm in Australia...it gets very hot here.

Cheers Dave S :)

Hi Dirk

So living in a colder climate...did your camera go through many "freeze-thaw" periods. ie outside shooting in cold weather, then back to a warm house?? Or was your camera kept pretty well at an even temperature?

I'm in Australia...it gets very hot here.

Cheers Dave S :)

Hi Dave,

At this moment I would want to trade with your climate. The winter is exceptionally long and consistent this year. It frooze almost every night since beginning of December here in Antwerp. :eek:

Winters normally are mostly wet and just above 0 C. The camera does not stay in the car overnight but might be left for a few hours in the cold trunk sometimes like once a month or so.

So it will get to freezing point maybe 5 times a year with my use and will get to more than 30 C an equal amount of times.

IMO the cause could very well be just a variance in the production process. AFAIK there is no serial number range identified that is getting the issue more often than others.

Seeing that some got the issue with a 'new' body after only months of use seems to point in that direction.

Consider that most M8s are more than 5 years old now and that is twice the average lifetime of a digital body. This prolonged usage in large numbers brings new problems to the surface that will not get noticed in other brands, because by the time they are 5 year old they are gathering dust in a closet somewhere or have been dumped/destroyed long ago.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Dirk

The weather is gorgeous here at the moment..Autumn. Don't worry you've got Spring now.

My M8 is an early one, with 4,000 actuations. I'm goint to be keeping it in fairly even temperatures; I guess I am a bit paranoid.

You've mentioned biggish changes in ambient temperature for the camera.

I know it's cosmetic but I just like my cameras to look perfect, and to work perfectly too.

Thanks for your great input, and kind regards.

cheers David S :)

If it helps, my M8 was only 3 years old but had about 20.000 actuations.

Enjoy your camera and treat it well without losing opportunities to use it!

I have bought a 'new' M8 now with 2 years warranty.

Cheers,

Dirk

• Like 1