Just bought M8.2 with Coffe Stain on LCD

Pablo LeicaM8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No price might mean that they are willing to send you the upgrade M9 for free! :cool:

That would be more than nice, but I got today the final offer to exchange for an Black M9-P:

Tax 19% = 413,85

Final amount in EUR 2.592,00€

I paid around 2250 for the M8.2. and a 50mm summicron Type 4...(I estimate 1250 for the M8.2 and 1000 for the Lense)

So the camera would be now 3.842€......

Any comment? do you think it is in market range?

Thanks!:eek:

That would be more than nice, but I got today the final offer to exchange for an Black M9-P:

Tax 19% = 413,85

Final amount in EUR 2.592,00€

I paid around 2250 for the M8.2. and a 50mm summicron Type 4...(I estimate 1250 for the M8.2 and 1000 for the Lense)

So the camera would be now 3.842€......

Any comment? do you think it is in market range?

Thanks!:eek:

I wouldn't say it was the bargain of the century but the price is close to what secondhand M9Ps are selling for on eBay, but if course yours will have a two year warranty.

Interestingly, had you sent your M8 in at the time of your original post, you would have probably got the M9P for 1900 plus VAT: that would have been for a new unit though as opposed to refurbished or ex demo.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say it was the bargain of the century but the price is close to what secondhand M9Ps are selling for on eBay, but if course yours will have a two year warranty.

Interestingly, had you sent your M8 in at the time of your original post, you would have probably got the M9P for 1900 plus VAT: that would have been for a new unit though as opposed to refurbished or ex demo.

Well, explain like that it doesn't sound very attractive.... but when I posted for the first time, I did not know that I was going to like the rangefinder photographic experience that much... so it made no sense to exchange the M8.2

Still figuring out ... BTW, all M9-P I see on ebay are around 5000€

Edited by Pablo LeicaM8

Well, explain like that it doesn't sound very attractive.... but when I posted for the first time, I did not know that I was going to like the rangefinder photographic experience that much... so it made no sense to exchange the M8.2

Still figuring out ... BTW, all M9-P I see on ebay are around 5000€

I've been monitoring ebay sales of M9Ps for the last few months, and those that are selling tend to make from 3300 to 3800GBP. However, i think recent sales have closed at the upper end of that range.

leica m9p in Digital Cameras | eBay

3800 Euros is about 3200 GBP at the moment, so you're potentially making a saving of 600GBP if you use the upper end of the range as your benchmark.

Not bad, but I don't think the price is that attractive especially if you're not overly keen on moving to the M9 in the first place.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been monitoring ebay sales of M9Ps for the last few months, and those that are selling tend to make from 3300 to 3800GBP. However, i think recent sales have closed at the upper end of that range.

leica m9p in Digital Cameras | eBay

3800 Euros is about 3200 GBP at the moment, so you're potentially making a saving of 600GBP if you use the upper end of the range as your benchmark.

Not bad, but I don't think the price is that attractive especially if you're not overly keen on moving to the M9 in the first place.

Thank you for the link and as sold examples...

I am thinking that it is now or never to move to FF, I love the M8.2 but I miss the ISO capability since my Oly E-P1 makes that better.... not comparing but going out for dinner with the M8.2 makes only sense if you take B&W....lol

Those others comments make sense if they have gone this route... and it is consistent with Leica Policy to my understanding...:)

I asked to the Leica representative today about the warranty, she confirmed 2 year warranty.

I asked for a M9 quotation instead of M9-P.... I guess now it'll be around 2000€, I will keep you posted....

I asked to the Leica representative today about the warranty, she confirmed 2 year warranty.

I asked for a M9 quotation instead of M9-P.... I guess now it'll be around 2000€, I will keep you posted....

I got the quotation for the M9 and it was 2200€, I finally made my mind up and ordered a Black M9-P since the M9 was not that cheaper... and I see this camera as a life companion to put out the GAS for good... at least the camara GAS....:)

Given the investment, I will stay with a single lens, what will probably help me to improve as a Photographer (amateur).

Thank you all for all the support!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I got my M9-P a couple of days ago, it looks brand new, although it has around 2500 shutter actuations.

Here you can find one of my first photos:

All sizes | Octavio | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I am still getting use to it, but it feels wonderfull in your hands, (M8.2 too). My 50 Summicron is now a real 50mm, and I feel I get a bit more flexibility as a single lense user (rest of the distances covered by my zooming in/out legs).

I like the easyness of setting the ISO, and the simplified setting of Exp. Comp. (just with the rear wheel). I like the 2 years warranty too....

The stealth look of the camera is amazing... I am looking forward to going out on a trip and take it with me :)

Best regards and thank you for the support on this subject!

Edited by Pablo LeicaM8

A few pics just for fun!

Hello everyone!

I got my M9-P a couple of days ago, it looks brand new, although it has around 2500 shutter actuations.

Here you can find one of my first photos:

All sizes | Octavio | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I am still getting use to it, but it feels wonderfull in your hands, (M8.2 too). My 50 Summicron is now a real 50mm, and I feel I get a bit more flexibility as a single lense user (rest of the distances covered by my zooming in/out legs).

I like the easyness of setting the ISO, and the simplified setting of Exp. Comp. (just with the rear wheel). I like the 2 years warranty too....

The stealth look of the camera is amazing... I am looking forward to going out on a trip and take it with me :)

Best regards and thank you for the support on this subject!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Hi Pablo,

great story you are telling here. I really enjoyed the reading. Must have been very exciting for you. Luckily it came to a good end and you have now a Leica M9P.

Wonderful metamorphosis ;)

I have visited your Flickr images and it seems you are RF man. Really nice images you are providing.

Have fun and enjoy the real 50mm :)

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

/Dario

• Like 1

Dario, thank you very much for visiting my Flickr page, and for your nice words!

I never thought I was going to end up with a M9-P, but it is what I was lusting for when I bought the M8.2, I could even say that I lusted for the M9 when I bought the first Olympus Pen in 2009 (great machine and good learning experience IMO).

BTW your work in Dario Arndt – Fotografie is just astonishing to me, I still have a long learning road in front of me.

Regards

Hi Pablo,

great story you are telling here. I really enjoyed the reading. Must have been very exciting for you. Luckily it came to a good end and you have now a Leica M9P.

Wonderful metamorphosis ;)

I have visited your Flickr images and it seems you are RF man. Really nice images you are providing.

Have fun and enjoy the real 50mm :)

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

/Dario

Edited by Pablo LeicaM8
  • Like 1

"I never thought I was going to end up with a M9-P, but it is what I was lusting for when I bought the M8.2,"

We are not supposed to LUST for things or people, Pablo, but I had the exact same experience--I am hoping that I will be forgiven, just this once!!!! (hahahahaha) (I'll make amends with my images....)

martha

• Like 1

First thank you for answering,

do you think the lcd may go worse?, I mean it is not really annoying.

The camera is a M8.2, so there is no upgrade since it has already the sapphire protection, as far as I know the upgrade changes the cover, not he lcd.

Thank you for the feedback

I asked the same question on RF and those that replied said that once the defect appears it does not seem to get any larger or more defined. Two responders said that over time the defect disappeared. It would be nice if Leica had a public disclosure on the defect and it's progression, if any. I think a good price on a M8.2 camera only would be $1500.00 if you find from Leica that the defect does not intensify over time. Call Leica and ask them.

Two responders said that over time the defect disappeared. It would be nice if Leica had a public disclosure on the defect and it's progression, if any.

My coffee stain also seems to be getting smaller (M8) and has done so over the last few months or so. It may be that mine will go as well.

I'll let you all know! Thanks for the post, and welcome to the forum!

Regards

Hello all... I'm very new to both this forum and Leica... However I was informed by a reliable source that the coffee stain was the glue that bound the screen layers together, originally supplied by Casio.

It would seem that this hangs together as the stains change shape and strength...

It would be nice to know if more use or less use makes it change?

Are these points known or have a been fed a line or two..

Andy

• Like 1