DMR - again. What are you stories of failures

vickko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My R8/DMR is the best kit I have ever had. I shoot a lot of film with my 2 other R8 bodies. The Hasselblad back is just amazing. The color rendered with the 80 Summilux, 35 Summilux and R19 are pure magic. I acutally LOVE the 1/3 crop as it removes any distortion on frame edges. I think this rig just might outlast me. I certainly hope so. :D

Please tell me what the Hasselblad back is? I am not familar with this option for the DMR.

Thanks

The DMR is my favourite bit of kit, especially when mated with my 180 summicron. Whilst I love the feel of my M2 and the convenience of my M9, I agree with Ben that there is something quite special about the files from the DMR. That is why I still have 2 DMRs and 8 batteries, so that I can continue shooting with these for as long as I can.

Best wishes

Charlie

I acutally LOVE the 1/3 crop as it removes any distortion on frame edges. :D

And as it is 1.37x within a full frame viewfinder, you have the pleasurable experience of the surrounding area to check for people/items outside the frame, just like an M camera!

John

• Like 2

I believe that Leica should update the DMR with, say the M9, or better, sensor now that it has the technology to do so, and because a lot of the research has already been done.

There's a lot of R8/R9 users still out there, with their R glass waiting to be used for both film and digital.

This could be done as well as a proper digital solution.

Leica is not a 'mass' producer, so hopefully it could be done on a small scale and still be profitable ?

Bruno

Not really practical, as Leica does not have a body to put it on. The R8/9 are getting no younger and less and less economical to repair. A dwindling number. I really like my R gear, including the DMR, but let's stay realistic. As a system, the R is as dead as a doornail:(

Edited by jaapv

• 5 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not really practical, as Leica does not have a body to put it on. The R8/9 are getting no younger and less and less economical to repair. A dwindling number. I really like my R gear, including the DMR, but let's stay realistic. As a system, the R is as dead as a doornail:(

Jaap, I agree accept for film. I have 3 R8 bodies. The folks in New Jersey told me they have lots of spare parts for the R8/R9, so as a film camera, it remains the very best!:D

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have been rebuilding DMR batteries for a while now, I have just sent 2 back to Charlie so maybe when he gets a chance to try them out he can update you. DMR repair is a little more complicated as parts are almost non existent.

The DMR produces some of the best files I have ever seen at ISO 100 and I have been through quite a few cameras. I still have a Mint DMR/R8 combination but sadly only 1 battery (that gets rebuilt yearly) I still would not give up my DMR.

• Like 1

Jaap, I agree accept for film. I have 3 R8 bodies. The folks in New Jersey told me they have lots of spare parts for the R8/R9, so as a film camera, it remains the very best!:D

And THAT is why I am about to order an R8....I could buy 10 of those for the price of an M-E. I am not done with film yet...;)

• 1 month later...

My R lenses are going on Nikon via Leitax mount or Canon via an adapter which is a better route.

If you do not already have R lenses, buy an SLR of your choice.

If you want the very best glass like APO lenses, then R glass and a different camera is best.

The new M with electronic VF does not appeal to me except for traditional M lenses.

• 1 month later...
I had a DMR last year, and sold it in frustration due to its weight.

Well, I suppose they aren't getting any lighter, and I've been thinking of trying one again.

]

I am told that the factory doesn't support the DMR any more so as you say it might become an expensive paperweight.

Maybe my prayers wii be answered for a digital R10?

I am told that the factory doesn't support the DMR any more ...

It depends on what 'support' means. Late last year the control wheel popped off my DMR and expecting the worst I sent it to Leica USA, who sent it to Solms. The control wheel was a known problem so the repair was free of charge. Electronic repairs would be another story.

• 1 month later...

But there are still other factors that scare me, like, lack of service, impending fatal failure of an old electronic device, and, of course, devaluation.

It is a great pity that Leica didn't introduce a R10 for a "M" type price. Few of us can afford the "S" outfit. I have never even seen one.

• 4 months later...

Dear all,

Hope you are doing great and maybe can help an enthusiastic friend from Brazil. My dad used to love Leicas and it ended up we have an R3 and an R8 - DMR together with several lenses. These machines were part of my life as my dad used to take my baby born pictures with this R3. He passed away about 1,5 years ago and the Cameras are a good therapy to me to still get in touch to him.

Unfortunately in the last weeks I'm facing a new problem with my DMR. You take the pictures, it goes to the camera memory (you can see in the display) but it's not recording on the SD card. I tried with 2 or 3 different SDs (4Gb, 2Gb and 500Mb) and it's not working in any of those SD cards. After a couple of pictures the camera locks and the only thing you can do is take the battery off.

Any clue on what is happening? Any idea on how/where to solve it? I'm very oftenly travelling to US so any place in US that may give me support is also appreciated.

Tks in advance for the help!

Benatto

Hello Benatto,

DMRs are noted for having to have all the electrical contacts really clean for them to work properly. Can I please suggest you follow these steps.

The first thing to do is to take the battery out and the base unit off. Leave the back in place. With a small eraser, such as on the end of a pencil, rub all the gold contacts you can see on both the body and the base unit. Also clean the battery terminals the same way. Then use a cotton bud dipped in isopropyl alcohol (or sensor cleaning fluid) carefully to clean all the contacts and get rid of pieces from the eraser.

When reasembling the unit press the base up hard onto the body and keep them squeezed together whilst you tighten the screw.

Fully charge the battery and insert it with the unit switched off. Insert a 2GB or smaller SD card. Switch the DMR on to A with the knob on the top plate left of the prism then check that both menu windows light up. The lower one shows settings for iso, file size, number of shots on the card and battery capacity - it should show 3 bars if it is fully charged. The larger one on the screen lights up when the menu button is pressed. Check that all the menu settings in turn down the list are as you want them.

Most importantly, now use the format command on the menu to format the card in the camera.

Check the lens - open and close the aperture ring - is the iris opening and closing? Set the aperture so the lens is wide open and try a photograph. You should see exposure information along the bottom of the viewfinder. If its highly over-exposed close the aperture down a little. The little red light to the right of the small window should blink when the file is saved, the counter should count down by one and after the light stops blinking you should be able to see the image when you press play.

I hope this does the trick but I'm sorry to say if this doesn't work I don't know what to suggest! Other folks may be able to offer different advice.

Best wishes,

Graeme