Leica M9-P ????

John.of.Gaunt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That could indeed be an M9-P.

Big finder with mirror strips top and bottom, big M7-digital shutter dial, and no battery cover on the front, so not an MP classic or any other film M.

No "red dot" - so not a regular M8 or M9, nor the Neiman-Marcus edition M9 with different leather.

Yeah, I can see this as a cosmetic upgrade. No red dot, classic top engraving, "real" silver chrome, classic leatherette (and probably a sapphire LCD cover, although it doesn't show).

Although Seal probably can get Leica to build him a one-off with any cosmetics he wants.... ;)

I wonder "how much?"

...but getting back to the original rumour for a moment, what exactly is the camera his Sealness has draped over his shoulder in these shots which has led to all this noise?

There was a time when enthusiasts might have been interested in the camera being used by a top photojournalist or other respected photographer.

• Like 1

There was a time when enthusiasts might have been interested in the camera being used by a top photojournalist or other respected photographer.

Yeah - but they don't get pictures of themselves published all that often. ;)

I wonder if Seal inadvertently broke an NDA by being photographed with - whatever that is....

_________

Uli - Nope - the NM edition still had a red dot (and brown leather). The red dot fits into a machined depression in the top plate, so no dot = a special machining job. Whatever Mr. S is carrying, it is not the NM version.

Edited by adan

But Christian has personally assured me that if I buy enough gear I, too, will end up married to a retired super model! This sort of thing worked out so well for me in terms of scoring easy, meaningless and plentiful sex with smokin' hot co-eds after drinking copious Coors Light, as per their television advertising in the late 1990s, that I am confident of a repeat with the Red Dot.

- n.

Looks like a silver chrome M9 without a red dot. I guess that's enough to get some fans wetting themselves!

I wouldn't get too excited. There are already several special edition M9s in normal chrome finish.

However, if Seal has been seen wearing an M9-P, it will have been with the full approval of everyone in Solms.

This kind of publicity is worth any number of freebie S2s...

After haveing received my Fuji X100, I would like an M with a brighter viewfinder. Compared to the X100, the viewfinder of all my Ms seems kind of dim.

But as already pointed out, as long as it is only a M9-something and not a M10, there is no reason to expect conseptual changes.

My prediction, let's just say I am guessing.

It will be a M9 that looks like a silver MP, not much else is different, not sure if it will have the LED frame lines or a sapphire screen but it will be a limited edition piece, probably only 100 will be made. It should be paired with a lens.

Here is the kicker, it will only be sold in the Tokyo Leica Boutique to celebrate their 5th anniversary.

Remember the Titanium MP they made to celebrate the Tokyo Boutiques first anniversary? Yup, same kind of product.

If it is another "special edition" M9 camera, I will be disappointed. It will be out of my reach.

I think it will be a regular model, but more expensive.

The key point is if the camera is a mere M9 with a different look and sapphire glass (+500€), or if the new camera incorporates changes in the electronic components (even more expensive, but not crazy expensive).

I am hearing a new sensor with more megapixels is implemented in the M9-P.

It is important because it would imply a complete redesign of the camera.

Moreover, it would imply a new policy by Leica: gradual upgrades and improvements when new technologies of components are available and makes sense, instead of all-new products every 3 or 4 years. Well, it is not a "new" policy, because the M8.2 was in this philosophy, but we may look at the M9 as a steady platform for several years, with small accumulative improvements... until something new deeply changes the form and functions of the camera.

My prediction, let's just say I am guessing.

It will be a M9 that looks like a silver MP, not much else is different, not sure if it will have the LED frame lines or a sapphire screen but it will be a limited edition piece, probably only 100 will be made. It should be paired with a lens.

Here is the kicker, it will only be sold in the Tokyo Leica Boutique to celebrate their 5th anniversary.

Remember the Titanium MP they made to celebrate the Tokyo Boutiques first anniversary? Yup, same kind of product.

How can it look like a MP? A M9 is thicker and larger because it has to be. Do you really think they could change that in two years?

How can it look like a MP? A M9 is thicker and larger because it has to be. Do you really think they could change that in two years?

I said it will look like an MP, not be exactly the same size and shape.

Silver chrome or black paint, no red dot, same body covering, voila! It will look like an MP, it won't be an MP though.

The look of an MP ( and of a M6 " classic" ) is also defined by its hight. It's really a different kind of thing.It's a different shape.

A M9 looks more like a M7 in my view. You can never make a MP out of it.

O.k, perhaps when you see it from a distance:rolleyes: