Leica M9-P ????

John.of.Gaunt

Why do so many people have a problem with the red Leica dot?

Not wanting a dot at all (like the MP), I can understand - it's just a beautiful camera without any name or branding on the front.

But like the 4 rings on an Audi, the crest on a Porsche, the star on a Mercedes, Leica has a red dot. It's their logo. I don't see the problem. A black dot just seems odd.

I would also buy a digital camera without the screen, provided I could see what the settings are. I rarely look at the screen on my M9. I don't see the point.

I would like to see the refinement of the M9, as a stable platform. Rectify the errors, but let's keep away from the computer idea of continual, pointless upgrades that don't actually address real issues for photographers, but are provided simply because they can be.

The majority of M9 buyers have bought the bog standard, numbingly expensive black or grey paint models. Yes, many of use would have preferred silver or black chrome, but that's just the way it is. Until there is good reason to produce a completely new model as the M10, I'd rather see small refinements of the M9. It's a good camera, and it is the only full frame, compact rangefinder digital on the market.

I love mine, and if anything I would feel better if they kept faith with their customers by perfecting what they have before charging off on the upgrade path - we have cellphones, Microsoft and PCs for that.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Why do so many people have a problem with the red Leica dot?

Not wanting a dot at all (like the MP), I can understand - it's just a beautiful camera without any name or branding on the front.

But like the 4 rings on an Audi, the crest on a Porsche, the star on a Mercedes, Leica has a red dot. It's their logo. I don't see the problem. A black dot just seems odd.

Agree.

I would also buy a digital camera without the screen, provided I could see what the settings are. I rarely look at the screen on my M9. I don't see the point.

So you need a screen anyway, and it is useful for checking framing, exposition (histogram) and sharpness (focus).

I would like to see the refinement of the M9, as a stable platform. Rectify the errors, but let's keep away from the computer idea of continual, pointless upgrades that don't actually address real issues for photographers, but are provided simply because they can be.

I agree, but it is subject of discussion what are "real issues for photographers". If the M9 is a stable platform, it may require upgrades for 1) improvements (sensor, processor... screen) 2) components availability (some components are not available anymore and Leica has to replace them, etc.).

The M9 and the M7/MP share many parts, and this is a good argument for a "stable platform".

Fundamental changes may be accumulated and shape a new product at a later stage.

LOL seems to me that whatever Leica 'give', people will always want something else.

Black paint? No, they want black chrome.

Chrome? No, they want black.

Black? No, they want chrome.

Grey paint? No, they want chrome.

Black chrome? No, they want paint.

Red dot? No, they want a black one, or no dot at all.

No dot? Where's the dot?!

This could go on............

• Like 9

Personally, I've always been a fan of black chrome and no dot, as it's the most discreet look, as well as being more durable. Nothing to do with aesthetics, history or image. I just want something that's funtional - it's a camera, not a peice of jewellery.

Edited by Dazed & Confused

my 10 cents..leica m9-p will be an m9 but mp version, with a winding crank, in black paint just as the mp. i think chrome will be out of ec jurisdiction. internal digital module same as m9 but must or can alternatively be manually wound with the crank..and i don't think it will be long in coming..better start saving i guess, it's bound to be popular and will be a year or more before there's enough stock to go around..

Well, the english version of LFI was more concervative with it's statements about new products...

The preview says exactly:"What new developments and product maintenance measures will Leica still come up with during the first half of the year? Let us surprise you."

So don't get your hopes too high up.

//Juha

Where are the mechanical gears and other bits going to go?

Will Leica be offering a Leicavit or winder for it?

Yes, I think a manually wound M9 is very unlikely (though desirable for a number of reasons). My own guess for an M9-P is that it will be a tarted-up version of the current M9 - sapphire screen and an MP inspired look (no red dot, Leica script, and available in MP style glossy black paint and traditional chrome).

• Like 1

Where are the mechanical gears and other bits going to go?

Will Leica be offering a Leicavit or winder for it?

You are so conservative Andy. It will have a clockwork and go "cuckoo-cuckoo" on the hour.:p

Overall my guess would be that:

- it's a M9 you can customize a la carte like the M7/MP online. I doubt that there will be a new sensor into into it

- or just something like they did for the S2 and S2-P with the saphire screen

just my guess. Anyways let;'s just wait 1 month and see what's going on.

Vadim

i've no idea where the bits will go, andy but it sure sounds quite plausible, right? imagine no more electronic whirr when th shutter can be manually rewound after it's released. i have a feeling sapphire glass may not be on the cards because of dust ingress issues and subsequent 'coffee stain' problems that surfaced on m8-u's and m8.2's, not to mention the unnecessary extra expense for cosmetics. i'll wager leica won't want to have to warranty that all over again..