Leica M9-P ????

John.of.Gaunt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My own guess for an M9-P is that it will be a tarted-up version of the current M9 - sapphire screen and an MP inspired look (no red dot, Leica script, and available in MP style glossy black paint and traditional chrome).

My thoughts precisely.

i've no idea where the bits will go, andy but it sure sounds quite plausible, right? imagine no more electronic whirr when th shutter can be manually rewound after it's released.

I don't think it sounds plausible at all, to be honest and while I can see that it might be an advantage in some situations, I don't think that Leica would even consider going to go down that route; back to the 50s. Why should they? No other digital camera has a lever shutter-cocking device. (The Epson did a few years ago, but that's because Epson basically just put a chip inside an existing film camera. Leica have gone beyond that already).

I agree with Andy in the above two posts.

My only doubt is about the possibility of some kind of "upgrade" in the internal electronics or sensor...

The rumors may be mixing bits of information related to two or more products...

A member of the Hong Kong Leica Fan Club has posted that an "M9 version with rewind crank" will be available from July.

See:Hong Kong Leica Fans Club (folders only in Chinese - go to second one from bottom of first window) and scroll down to the posting on M9 P.

He got the info from a Leica dealer in Japan near Shinshaibashi who told him product would be available in July.

And it is long past April 1st. So, I don't know what to think.

The M9 is still relatively new, still apparently selling well, why would they change the technical spec yet?

I think any changes - if there is a M9P or whatever - will be mostly cosmetic, screen, chrome, engraving etc. That's enough to sell as many extra cameras as Leica could make to be getting on with anyway!

The red dot was not present on the M cameras' surfaces until late models (as we know it, from the M6, I think). It is a nice and sexy touch, I agree, but I prefer, for my camera, a clean façade.

The front of the M9 camera is full of elements: three windows, the red dot, the small light sensor, the M9 engraving... I particularly dislike that frontal "M9" engraving.

It is a question of personal preference, but I really love the austere MP look. Simple and clean.

Edited by rosuna

Sorry if this has been mentioned ( can't read 5 pages of this nonsense) but it stands for Platinum Service level, as for the S2-P... see this taken from the Leica S2 website....

PLATINUM

The Platinum service package offers even more benefits. In addition to all the benefits of the Premium package, Platinum customers receive a replacement unit for the period of the repairs, so that they can continue working. In most regions an exchange within 24 hours can be guaranteed. Moreover, one maintenance service is offered by the Leica Customer Service free-of-charge so that the camera doesn't fail in the first place. Replacement of the camera shutter or lens central shutter, if necessary, is also free after more than 100,000 exposures. The warranty for the LEICA S2-P with saphire glass automatically includes the Platinum service package with the extended range of services.

During the meeting between Mr Stephan Daniel and members of the LHSA last October, I asked if Leica planned to offer what old geezers like me would regard as a ‘proper’ M9 - with silver chrome and vulcanite-style finish. He replied that the company was looking at the commercial practicality of such a version. To which my response was “My credit card is ready whenever you are.” So if I get an email from him in June asking for my card number, I will only have myself to blame…

Best regards,

Doug

Looks like Seal has already got his own ''special edition M9 '',that Leica has made for the AP Ffordes competition,same finish ,minus logo and lettering,different leather covering ,what do you think ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Saw this and it does look chrome like but probably just steel gray -- which I would like anyway, as long as it lasts. More choice will make it tough -- black chrome, black chrome, silver gray, black paint. How on earth does anyone buy a car? :D

The popularity of "the look" of the x-100 probably hasn't gone unnoticed at Leica HQ. And wouldn't it be a fairly easy modifications to make a M9 look like an MP (cosmetically)?

You mean the M3 look that the X100 mimicks...

On May 15, Steve Huff wrote on his website

“But the M is the camera that will always stay with me until I can not shoot anymore. I’m saving for something new coming along soon and 6 knows what it is as he has one already.”

Later that day, ‘6’ (presumably the guy who has the alleged ‘M9-P’) wrote:

“The camera in the paperboy images is my old chrome MP. The frame advance lever broke whilst we were on vacation. Damn quality control at Leica, what’s the world coming to?”

Number 6 from the old TV series ‘The Prisoner’ would never have made such a clumsy mistake.

The camera seen is the Daily Mail photos has no MP/M6-style battery cover.

What it does clearly have is the optical port for the extra light-measuring sensor of the M9.

It is not an MP

Sorry 6, you will have to do better than that!

To quote the opening of each episode of “The Prisoner”:

“Number 2: We want information... information... information.

Number 6: You won't get it.

Number 2: By hook or by crook, we will.”

Be seeing you.

Doug

(aka Number 2)