Leica M9-P ????

John.of.Gaunt

i have seen all of these same rumors as well, connecting it back to an announcement in the next edition of LFI. i have been holding out for an m9, so i really hope its more than sapphire and black dot.

do we have any indication on when the announcement will be made, and the duration of time from announcement to availability?

It may be something really different...

The date is 21th of June.

Acerca de la fotografía. Técnica, estética y opinión: La bola de metacrilato centellea en un rosa... que sube de intensidad

Retro look, made of titanium, similar to a M9 but smaller in size, higher resolution sensor, small size lens... and less expensive than the M9...

This is not a replacement of the M9 camera, but a different model (system?).

With all the prices and features of this new camera being floated in small articles/posts on the web (i.e. $500 for sapphire glass, etc.) it is starting to sound like an M9 ala carte.

I don't know, just trying to connect the dots form small pieces :)

Maybe not... Take a Panny G3 wrap it in a retro body. Sell a few OEM adapters. Bingo a new system camera which supports both M and R lenses... Fits all the rumors. Gets us R folks off there backs. Gives the live view people something as well.

Digilux 4?

All they have to say is here is our solution, and the subject is closed. Leica does not have to succeed in this. They already said no R10.

However the rumors I have been seeing does include a new system camera... Panny or not, unlikely full frame, as Leica needs an entry level system camera to fill out there line up.

But in about a month we will know for sure

Edited by swamiji

Maybe not... Take a Panny G3 wrap it in a retro body. Sell a few OEM adapters. Bingo a new system camera which supports both M and R lenses... Fits all the rumors. Gets us R folks off there backs. Gives the live view people something as well.

Digilux 4?

4/3 ? I don't see Leica on this side... if they do something "cheap" would be nice to re-use the sensor size of M8... but don't know if such a component would be easy to have...

If I remember correctly Digilux 3 was 4/3, but full sized mount. Also 4/3 lenses are currently being made in there name.

Rumor also has it thar V-Lux20 is gone. Talking about on the cheap side.

Edited by swamiji

Well, RE: Rubens's post #22, Leica (and Leica observers) have mentioned at least a couple of times that they have been experimenting with various approaches to an EVIL camera that could take M (and thus probably R) lenses.

However, that sounds more like a further development of the X-1 concept to include interchangable lenses (smaller, cheaper) than any kind of M9 - "P" or otherwise. Also - not likely to be Panasonic-based. Leica's goal is to depend on Panasonic for just the sub-$1000 cameras, and develop/build the more advanced systems in Germany.

In talking about that idea in very broad terms, Leica seemed to imply as late as last autumn that it would not be any time soon (2-3 years) - but of course they said that about the full-frame digital M, just three months before introducing it. ;)

As to an M9(x) - I'm sure there will be something of that nature at some point, also. I doubt it will have any significant changes from the current M9 except cosmetics.

Any significant change in pixels, sensor, processing speed, buffer - the electronic guts - will require a complete internal redesign. And that will an M10.

Gee, I better start saving up instead of buying all this goofy Visoflex stuff!

... don't worry and enjoy the Visoflex stuff... ;)... until they will keep the classic M mount, most of Visoflex gear will be probably compatible with any future Mxx.... with some doubt only about the shutter's arm... :o (just for fun, when I had the opportunity to handle a NEX with M adapter, I mounted on it a Viso II+ chimney finder + bellows... very strange but working outfit...:p)

I'm hoping for a whole new concept M full frame. How boring it would be with just a saphire screen and a black dot. Leica would be wise to expand the M digital body's options like we see in film MP/M7. The film camera's are very different in use and it would be great to see options like this in the digital department too.

In a recent interview with Panasonic UK product and marketing managers, linked to at the m43rds rumours site, there is discussion about the introduction in June of another Leica branded lens for the m43rds range, a 25/1.4 (e.g. a 50-lux for the G/GH/GF series). The timing of June syncs with the rumours in this thread, so perhaps a Leica branded G3 with the 25/1.4 is what is in the offing?

LouisB