Leica M9-P ????

John.of.Gaunt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would not expect the "R solution" to have an APS-C sensor nor any other smaller than FF. It would otherwise be like what the M8 was: nice camera but just a transition because not using the lenses fully.

Otherwise, if they can do something nice and coherent with an EVIL system, why not?

As I understand it, the X1 is also an APS-C camera - ie with a 16.7 x 25.1 sensor (as opposed to the full frame, 24 x 36 CCD sensor in the M9). So, we can expect a sensor of at least that size, but with live view (and therefore no rangefinder), and lots of other technological goodies this technology can cheaply provide. I would expect such a camera to fit between the (upgraded) X1 and the M9, and adopt some of the technological advances from the S2 (and also not be put to shame by Leica's co-branded compacts).

If the rumoured 4th line of cameras is going to be a proper system, then by necessity it will include interchangeable lenses. I guess the question will be, what lenses? Surely, there is little point in resurrecting the R lenses for such a small sensor. Leica won't want the size and cost for a smaller sensor.

I would have thought that Leica would go for "cheaper" AF Summarits (cheaper than the full on manual M Elmarit, Summicron and Summilux lenses - presumably, we can expect more plastic?) to get the ball rolling. They won't want the same problem for customers and dealers of having bodies, customers and no lens stock, so presumably we'll see something a bit like the S2 roll-out - a limited choice of nice AF Summarit lenses, with promises of more to come.

Would it fit for Leica to give the camera an M mount? Who knows. Giving access to all those lovely M lenses would be nice, but might also have a catastrophic effect on M camera sales. Perhaps this release might push out the M10 release, as this camera will answer a lot of the demand for more electronic goodies, leaving the rest of us happy with the existing M camera. A new sensor, new processor, faster buffer, better low and high ISO and updated LCD to follow at Leica's leisure?

My guess is that this new camera ain't going to be cheap, but then the M10 will probably be another step up.

Cheers

John