I love my Leicaflex!

ganzosrevenge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a long-time user of the SL and SL2 this makes no sense to me. The SL2's meter will allow accurate readings in light where the SL's meter is unusable. Applying compensation to the SL's meter reading won't help if there isn't a reading at all.

I do agree about the SL2.

When you can't meter with the SL anymore when it is too dark and the meter is not sensitive enough you make your own estimation.

I do also work with my M4 camera with the Metrawatt meter in the same way.

And mostly it gives a good exposure result.

But it needs some experience...But I am not talking about night photography

Edited by Joop van Heijgen

"Nikon F2 DP11 meter CDS cell lowest it will meter to is 1/4 sec f2

Leicaflex SL meter needle not visible but moved toward light source becomes visible at 1/30 sec f2

Leicaflex SL no.2 exactly the same.

both with the CDS standard cells."

A selectiv or spotmeter will always give a shorter exposure than an integral metering under more different light conditions. (Not under the same light conditions)

The Nikon F2 have a more 'fat spot' metering I think...Like the M6

Edited by Joop van Heijgen
  • Like 1

I just used my sekonic digi meter for my test scene and this is the result

reflective reading 1/15 sec f2

incident reading 1/4 sec f2

This brings me to the conclusion that at low light levels the cds meters are acting like incident meters and the spd and rgb of the F3 and F5 are acting purely as reflective meters.

Atleast this has killed an hour or two and given me a better understanding of how all my meters are working!

I'd still like my SL's to meter down to 1/4 sec though just for the odd handheld candle light or table lamp portrait!

It is very common for the cds cell in the SL to lower impedance with time, which causes more effect on low light readings (underexposure) than bright light. Mine would not calibrate properly for low light after 42 years until DAG replaced the meter cell.

I just used my sekonic digi meter for my test scene and this is the result

reflective reading 1/15 sec f2

incident reading 1/4 sec f2

This brings me to the conclusion that at low light levels the cds meters are acting like incident meters and the spd and rgb of the F3 and F5 are acting purely as reflective meters.

Atleast this has killed an hour or two and given me a better understanding of how all my meters are working!

I'd still like my SL's to meter down to 1/4 sec though just for the odd handheld candle light or table lamp portrait!

Under low light conditions with a separate meter like the seconic you can also get the right exposures...

After a time you can 'translate' the SL metering to the right one without the seconic and you don't need the external meter any longer.

OK under very dark circumstances when there is no any metering on the SL you always need a sensitive external meter...

It is very common for the cds cell in the SL to lower impedance with time, which causes more effect on low light readings (underexposure) than bright light. Mine would not calibrate properly for low light after 42 years until DAG replaced the meter cell.

The aging of the cells are in this way a problem....The meter sell of my SL has also replaced a few years ago.

My other SL have a late number 3.8...... (the last ones'74) and have the sensitivity of the SL2 meter..:cool:

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IMHO the Leicaflex feels more 'substantial' than the SL or SL2.

The geek in me recently obtained a scale, and I started weighing everything in the house. The Leicaflex SL (5 samples) weighed anywhere from 735g to 760g (w/o lens, cap or film) with an average weight of 746.8g. The original Leicaflex (2 samples) weighed 824g and 838g. So although smaller, it is a heavier camera. There's a reason it feels "more substantial."

Here's some other weights for comparison --

Rolleicord Vb -- 927g

Canon FTB - 740g

Contarex Bullseye -- 927g

Contaflex IV with 45mm Tessar -- 801g

Ikoflex III - 1020g

Ikoflex Ic -- 1081g

Mamiya C220 - 1466g

M4 - 560g

My coffee mug (empty) -- about 325g

What surprising is that the Leicaflex SL, touted always as big and heavy, is less then 150g heavier then a rangefinder (when the weight of a meter is factored in for the rangefinder +40g).

Edited by SteveYork

• 1 month later...
The Leicaflexes don't have mirror lock-up. The Nikons do. Don't really ever use it, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

It's true that the Leicaflexes don't have mirror lock-up. But you can lock up the mirror (at least on the SL2) with practice by sharply tapping on the shutter release without triggering it completely. I did this for years when I was using them for professional work.

The original Leicaflex had mirror lockup. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there was less of a reason to have mirror lockup in subsequent models because the shutter vibration was so low. I've shot an SL many times at 1/15, hand held, and received sharp pictures.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, the screen is great, it's like using an M (I think it was based on the Visoflex) as only the centre spot focuses. You can use the edge of the focus circle for split image focussing, or just the whole spot. Also, I can focus without my glasses, and read the shutter speed display at the bottom of the screen. I need a +1.5 correction on my SL2 and R9.

The meter is like an MR on a rangefinder, in that it covers the area of a 90mm.

I think my 135 is confusing it (by reflecting light?) as it is a couple of stops off in bright sun, but spot on in diffused light.

John

Ditto on being able to focus - and well - without glasses and read the display. I too normally need a +1.5 diopter. This is worth all the tea in China to me as my shots with the 50 'cron are all dead on in focus! Love that lens too!

• Like 1

Hi Joop!

Did you check on faulty R4/R5/RE, if maybe a sticky mirror  release magnet is the reason for the problem. (shutter is not releasing)

Common problem of these cameras, but easy to fix.  After 30 years of working these parts are quite often in the need of a service.

My last buy on ebay, a R5 in great cosmetic condition had this exactly this issue. Repair took not even half an hour....

Torsten

PS:

My Leicaflex SL/SL2 are still working perfectly. (got 2 SL and one SL2) Even the short times 1/1000 &1/2000sec are fine. 

One of the SL however needed a service in this respect: The shutter wasn't open fully at the short times anymore.  Pics were completely underexposed. Luckily a local repairman could service the shutter. But the costs were quite acceptable. It didn't cost more than +- 80 $

Edited by wagner

• 8 months later...

Hi All,  as you know I am thoroughly in analog . I abandon digital ....

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/?p=3192223

and I want to get out again my Leicaflex ... a little heavy in comparison with an M
but I will try to make an effort . I just put a roll of Kodak TX in the camera
It was completely revised by Wetzlar recently , parts were changed
and Leica still has spare parts after more than 40 years.

Leica hat down !

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Here is the beast revised by Leica Wetzlar :)

all is refurbished battery 1.35V changed to 1.5 Volts,microprisms changed,exposure knob changed,

writing white paint , curtain and mechanism of shutter revised.... 

Now it's like new as I bought in 1969 !

I call this camera the German Panzer because it's solid like a tank :D

I wish also a long life to the M10 like this SL

One thing I do not regret is not selling this camera (for only a few hundred Euros, a misery for a good device)

when I bought my two digital cameras !
And I did very well, as for my vinyl records

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M8-35 LA

Rg

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

I speak about vinyl dics in my previous post
It is like the film with all its qualities that we abandoned in favor of the digital , more expensive and which is not worth what we have in film : fidelity of color, beautiful and homogeneous black and white , no banding, no inhomogeneous black , no moiré,  no aliaising , no (too) sharp lines and "cutting"  edges etc ....

Tubes amplifier for a "natural" and faithful sound like analog camera for a "natural" and faihful image  :) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M8-50 Lux Asph

Some here must think I'm crazy ....

Regards

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

The easy use of the mechanical Leicaflex SL is very comfortable. You don't have to use a menu...

battery or accu...And the viewfinder is great and big...

Yes exactly Joop , the SL is mechanical and no battery needed except for lighmeter ... I used a moment without battery before I sent to Wetzlar for revision , a Gossen Lunasix lighmeter for exposure control sometimes , because mercury PX625 is not in sale currently !

Now the battery is 1.5 Volts and I use V625U Varta.

The shutter noise is remarkable better than my R8 (now sold)

As you said , it's simple , no menu , what peace for my brain

Best

H.

Edited by Doc Henry