I love my Leicaflex!

ganzosrevenge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The earliest Leicaflex has a body construction unlike any of the later versions and may be identified by the screws visible inside the film chamber. During the production run the shutter's high speed escapement was changed from individual parts to a sub-assembly which was also used in the SL and SL2. In many respects, aside from the meter and viewscreen, the last production of the Leicaflex was much more like the SL than it was like the first Leicaflex.

Here is the inside of my first generation Leicaflex (seen at 43 above)

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 months later...

The 'take-up spool' of the Leicaflex SL is made of plastic. The problem here is that the slot of this plastic take-up spool will often break...:cool:

A Leica repairman can replace this plastic spool for a metal one but this is not cheap...

Is there anybody who knows if there are Leicaflexes SL standard suited with a metal take-up spool? Are the latest Leicaflexes SL from '73 to '74 suited with this metal take-up spool? (SN 1.366.xxx----1.379.xxx)

I ask this because I want buy one more SL without the problems of the plastic take-up spool.

Thanks for your reaction,

Greetings, Joop

The last ones are plastic too. The cliched 'Achilles' Heal,' along with the red plastic release button.

Of course plastic can fail over time, but they also fail when the user puts the film around two slots, instead of one.

I still love the SL. I won three. And put more film through that model, then any other. In fact I'm slowly getting rid of rangefinders, because I use the Leicaflex so much. Just wish they weren't so heavy (or my back wasn't so old).

The last ones are plastic too. The cliched 'Achilles' Heal,' along with the red plastic release button.

Of course plastic can fail over time, but they also fail when the user puts the film around two slots, instead of one.

I still love the SL. I won three. And put more film through that model, then any other. In fact I'm slowly getting rid of rangefinders, because I use the Leicaflex so much. Just wish they weren't so heavy (or my back wasn't so old).

The same story for me...at the moment I do use the SL more than my M4's.

Last year I bought one SL with a 2,0/50 Summicron for €200,- in new state...:)At the moment they are extremely cheap. Compared with the rather expensive M4 you have also topclass Leica quality with this camera. I mostly use the Macro-Elmarit 2,8/60 and the Elmarit 2,8/90 and cannot see in practice much difference with the M-Lenses.

I do also have the Leica RE and use it with the same lenses. It is a good camera but not a Leicaflex SL...that's the reason why I do want another Leicaflex SL.

What is your advice: are there best serial numbers of the Leicaflex SL? Are the last serial numbers preferable or makes it no difference?

Greetings, Joop

Edited by Joop van Heijgen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Steve, now I know why my film wouldn't come off of the spool when I was rewinding the SL the other day. Thankfully I didn't force the issue and opened up to find exactly what you describe, two slots used so sloppy loading.

Here's a pic I did today with the SL2 and 60 macro elmarit,

7424884758_7633fce058_z.jpg

I too now prefer to use my SL than my M's.

regards john

Thanks Joop, film was tri-X at 400, dev'd in hc-110 'H' for 12 mins at 20 deg C.

Scanner is an Epson 4990 and I use the standard epson sofrware. I've got silverfast and vuescan but this combo gives me the look I like with little fuss.

Leicaflex SL with macro-elmarit 60mm.

• 2 months later...

let's go on: LEICAFLEX

have fun and keep on going, OLAF

• Like 3

My Leicaflex and my Summicron-R are at DAG getting a calibration (my lens thinks the moon is 5m away according to its focus readout), and I want to have a metal tab in my leica, the viewfinder cleaned out, lubes modernized, etc.,

In essence, keep the mojo, but give her another 50 years of enjoyment.

Leicaflex! ....... Design and mechanics, at the highest level! ;)

regards,

Jan

• Like 4

Douglas,

I have my Leicaflex SL in for a CLA / Overhaul at DAG. Seeing as yours received a bit of the "Leicaflex Standard Overbuilt" treatment with Leicaflex Standard Dials, what do you recommend (beyond the known metal lens release tab) if I want to improve the structural, empirical, and user-perceived performance of my Leicaflex SL?

Thanks, and I still say that your Leicaflex SL with the chrome dials is dropdead gorgeous.

Jason

Douglas,

I have my Leicaflex SL in for a CLA / Overhaul at DAG. Seeing as yours received a bit of the "Leicaflex Standard Overbuilt" treatment with Leicaflex Standard Dials, what do you recommend (beyond the known metal lens release tab) if I want to improve the structural, empirical, and user-perceived performance of my Leicaflex SL?

Re-calibrate the light meter for 1.5-volt silver-oxide cells, ask for the metal adjusting cam in the shutter's anti-return mechanism, and trim the inner diameter of the flange to fit ROM lenses. This is just personal preference but I like the late 3-position film advance lever. Not sure if this can be retrofitted to an early SL. I haven't had any trouble with the plastic film take-up fingers but if you're concerned that it could be a problem ask for a metal take-up spool (perhaps the one from the Leicaflex Standard will fit).

Thanks, and I still say that your Leicaflex SL with the chrome dials is dropdead gorgeous.

Thanks! I'm very pleased with how it turned out

Re-calibrate the light meter for 1.5-volt silver-oxide cells, ask for the metal adjusting cam in the shutter's anti-return mechanism, and trim the inner diameter of the flange to fit ROM lenses. This is just personal preference but I like the late 3-position film advance lever. Not sure if this can be retrofitted to an early SL. I haven't had any trouble with the plastic film take-up fingers but if you're concerned that it could be a problem ask for a metal take-up spool (perhaps the one from the Leicaflex Standard will fit).

Thanks! I'm very pleased with how it turned out

what's a metal adjusting cam in the shutter's anti-return mechanism for?

also, i only have one lens, a 50-cron mk1

I have a 3-pos switch already

i want a metal takeup spool at some point :)

What would a recal to silver-oxide do?

Edited by ganzosrevenge