Name this car....

This car was on display at Motorclassica in October 2017.  In the early to mid seventies and before its character was lost by unnecessary "restoration" I did many miles.  It would have been a wonderful barn find.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Back to Mickey Cohen, a gangster from the 1940s who was convicted of tax evasion and sentenced to 15 years in jail.  His Caddy, which Hector correctly identified  not only has bullet proof glass, but is also fully armored.  Please notice that the windscreen can tilt out from the bottom so the mobsters can shoot out through the openings.  The superb film, LA Confidential deals with the aftermath of Mickey Cohen no longer in charge, and what happens.

That kind of windscreen construction is impractical, if you open it, you don‘t have much space to shoot properly but are in danger to catch a lot of automatic gun bullets. Also completely impractical when explosives/bombs/hand grenades hit window area, the windscreens hinge may be blown away and you are without any protection.

The bonnet and wheel lock nuts with press in centres look like RR, so either a late Silver Ghost or an early Phantom. With blinkers on, it would be difficult to tell the difference in driving experience from the late Ghosts, like our 1925 Piccadilly roadster,  to the early Phantom, other than the brakes, which are considerably improved on the Phantom, even with their weird mechanical servo, driven off the back of the gearbox. The reasons for this strange and expensive device, which does not work when reversing, always escapes me, when they could have used the excellent vacuum servo set up system, that Bentley used on their six cylinder cars. The four cylinder 4½ Bentleys also use a vacuum servo but of a different design, which is not quite as effective. A properly set up rod braked Speed Six Bentley, will be better IMHO than any hydraulic conversion, as you can take up thermal expansion of the drums when racing, by pulling the hand brake on a few notches and there is no fluid to boil. 

Wilson

Getting warmer Wilson.  RR, but not a 40/50 of any type.

As to your thoughts on the servo, remember that Henry Royce adopted the braking system of the 1919 H6 Hispano-Suiza, a system which predated the servos to which you refer.  Maybe if he had waited a few years something better might have been fitted.  Why RR maintained the gearbox driven assistance until the Dawn and R Type is more the question.

1 minute ago, Oscar Merte said:

Twenty horsepower Rolls-Royce pre 1925 at a guess

Yes Oscar, 1924 Rolls-Royce 20 h.p. with Barker "Carroserie Transformable" coachwork.

It belonged to my landlord when I was a uni student and he kindly lent it to me frequently.  The body was unique to my knowledge with glass side windows which folded down into the doors being hinged at the sill level.  Furthermore it was very light and the car clipped along at a decent pace.  It had the earlier three speed gearbox which IMHO I preferred to the later four speed.

• Like 2

Here it is in 1975 when in my care:

I forgot to mention, the Twenty has been fitted with the front axle from a later car for the benefit of front wheel brakes.  Not servo assisted as the three speed gearbox did not have the facility, however I never found the brakes too heavy, but then I was a "rower" at the time!

Edited by hektor
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is my first post, taken by me in 1970 with a Leica M2: