Name this car....

ok, I right got into your trap ;)

Panhard Dyna X?

Right country, wrong car - think bigger engine. This particular car was owned by a well known racing driver, closely associated with the company.

Wilson

OK - here is the whole back of the car. - Good luck!

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Still struggling - well here is the whole car. Pity about the flowers hiding the front grille :D

Wilson

Probably not, but perhaps one of the Hispano-Suiza?

Stuart,

This car comes from after the demise of Hispano as a car maker or at least after they became a truck/bus, auto-canon and aircraft part maker (Hispano-Messier-Bugatti). I am beginning to wonder if I have beaten the team here. I will give you another day, then post a full frontal of the car, with just the badge blanked out.

Wilson

Something from Delage???

Not Delage but again - warm. From memory, the black car behind is a Delage D6. I put an offer in to buy the mystery car in 2002, when I took this photo, for €14,000, which was rejected. At the time they wanted €20,000, which was far too much. From the source where I found the later photo, it has obviously been sold. Here is the full frontal.

Wilson

Last idea: Hotchkiss?

Good guess. The car does look very like a Hotchkiss Anjou, other than not having a split windscreen but anyway - not a Hotchkiss.

Wilson

PS. Probably not as good a car as the Hotchkiss. This one was very well made but like many of its marque, had very heavy steering.

Finally: Something from Talbot-Lago, before the company went down the drain?

At last someone has got it. Well done! It is a Talbot Lago Baby Saloon, made from 1948 to 51. This one was the personal car of Louis Rosier, the owner and principal driver of Ecurie Rosier, racing Talbot Lago T26 GP and sports racing cars. He won various 2nd tier GP events and Le Mans in 1950, where he drove almost the entire 24 hours single handed.

This car was for sale at Henri Malartre's Musee de l'automobile Rochetaillée in 2002. I expressed interest and they tried and failed to get it to start and the clutch was seized, as were the brakes. It looks to have been nicely restored now. Apparently they go and handle well, although I suspect like all other Talbot Lago's I have driven, they will have heavy steering and a rather horizontal wheel, the bottom of which sits very close to your stomach. Rosier must have been a bull of a man to drive a T26 for over 23 hours. The final Talbot Lago, the America Coupé, with BMW 507 V8 engine, look to be an interesting car and maybe don't suffer the corrosion and body issues that the 507 does.

Your turn.

Wilson

Ooops, Wilson -- surprised myself :eek:

And 'same thing as always': No car-pics on hand, and probably nobody would like me to sprint out in the rain and make a quick-and-dirty-shot of a detail on my only car, a 'smart' (I like it very much).

So please continue anyone with nice pics on hand!

Lenn

BTW: This car doesn't really look 'Baby'...

Ooops, Wilson -- surprised myself :eek:

And 'same thing as always': No car-pics on hand, and probably nobody would like me to sprint out in the rain and make a quick-and-dirty-shot of a detail on my only car, a 'smart' (I like it very much).

So please continue anyone with nice pics on hand!

Lenn

BTW: This car doesn't really look 'Baby'...

It is not quite as big as it appears on the frontal shot. However, I assume Baby is the engine, which was basically a 2.7L four cylinder version of the twin high cam six used in the T26.

Wilson

To keep this alive....