Leica Camera Milton Keynes - Goodbye!

photina

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's interesting that, as of 21 October 2009, a certain Steven K Lee is still shown as being a Director of Leica Camera Ltd.

Steve's home address is listed as being in Edina, MN 55424 and if you browse the address using Google, it's a rather non-descript single storey house. Not what you'd expect for an ex-executive of Best Buy who has also taken Leica to the compensatory cleaners.

As for his on-going directorship of LC Ltd, perhaps they were so busy formulating their marketing plans for the Leica R10 that they missed the memo to fire him...

LC Ltd turnover in y/e 31/03/2009 was £6.79m, cost of sales £5.228m, gross profit £1.562m, net profit after tax a measly £16k. You wouldn't call the directors fat cats. Together, they paid themselves just £88k.

Employees were 17, down from 19 the year before.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

It is interesting that Leica opened up a shop in central london, seems like yesterday they had their UK repair centre there, (about '71 from memory).

They used to do simple repairs over a repair counter while you waited but be cautious of selling things that dealers a few streets way had.

If a sufficient % of M8 and M9 work had to go back to Ge, it would erode MKs position, the M7 and MP must be more reliable by a margin.

They do keep some stock at Mayfair, e.g. when I missed Ivor's (@Red dot) last 28mm just before Xmas he had one couriered from Mayfair, while I went for latte. This was in the rush before VAT and Leica new year uplift, added.

Noel

Grammatically curious: Is "you all" a common usage in UK? I had thought it was restricted to a certain (my) area of US.

I don't know anywhere in the UK where people customarily say "y'all" or "you-all" the way some Southerners do, but of course we say "you all" (emphasis on the "all") when we particularly want to include everyone who is present or reading or listening.

When one of my Texan friends says "Do you all want to come?" the emphasis is usually on the "you" and it means "Does anyone want to come?". But when a Brit says "Do you all want to come?" the emphasis is on the "all" and it means "Does everyone want to come?"

In the original sentence in this thread, the "all" is superfluous, since "you" can be both singular and plural.

No one that I know, or have every heard over here, has ever said "you all" in an American English sense.

Am I the only one to find it curious that the OP lobs in a little "hand grenade" like this then cannot even be arsed to log in since then to see what responses it has generated...?

Regards,

Bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John--

Thanks for the clear explanation.

Andy--

My point exactly. But the "y'all" usage in the US South has become a replacement for "you" plural.

I was interested to see the use of "all" in this case for exactly those two reasons: It's unnecessary, but its meaning is clear. Perhaps a form of incipient "y'all"?

BTW--You're probably aware of the fact that in some parts of the US (northeast, I think), the word "youse" (pronounced the same as 'use' as a noun) is used in colloquial speech in place of "you" plural. I haven't seen it in print.

Thanks to both of you for the response. (Or should that be "Thanks to youb," from 'you both'?) :D

Perhaps he's been banned?

dunk

You can see for yourself he hasn't been. It would show "gesperrt" instead of "Neuer Benauzer". In any event, he has done nothing to warrant a ban. His profile shows that he posted and pissed off.

Regards,

Bill

Interesting.

If you search in the Forum Quickfinder for Benauzer you get: Your search - Benauzer - did not match any documents.

If you search in the Forum Quickfinder for Neuer Benauzer you get: Did you mean: Neuer Benutzer

I was just wondering whether the word Benauzer was uniquely identifying this thread.

Cheers, K-H.

Just a typo on Bill's part, I expect.

Andy, Bill,

That's what I am assuming. There certainly is no such German word.

But, I was wondering whether I could exploit the "new" word as an easily memorizable word to identify this thread when using the search function.

Thanks, K-H.

John--

Thanks for the clear explanation.

Andy--

My point exactly. But the "y'all" usage in the US South has become a replacement for "you" plural.

I was interested to see the use of "all" in this case for exactly those two reasons: It's unnecessary, but its meaning is clear. Perhaps a form of incipient "y'all"?

BTW--You're probably aware of the fact that in some parts of the US (northeast, I think), the word "youse" (pronounced the same as 'use' as a noun) is used in colloquial speech in place of "you" plural. I haven't seen it in print.

Thanks to both of you for the response. (Or should that be "Thanks to youb," from 'you both'?) :D

"Youse" is also a slang Scots word for "you" singular or plural. Generally in a broad "Glasgie" accent. :D

It's interesting that, as of 21 October 2009, a certain Steven K Lee is still shown as being a Director of Leica Camera Ltd.

Steve's home address is listed as being in Edina, MN 55424 and if you browse the address using Google, it's a rather non-descript single storey house. Not what you'd expect for an ex-executive of Best Buy who has also taken Leica to the compensatory cleaners.

I wouldn't read too much into that - could just be a pied a terre or maybe his mother's house. I know plenty of people who have registered addresses for tax & income base purposes, permanent home address particularly if working abroad, etc that are different to where they actually reside (myself included for some time).

A shame - but I've often found I've had to send things directly to Solms to get repairs dealt with quickly (especially since the M8 and M9 were introduced). Milton Keynes just didn't have the kit to handle the work.

Don't write off the albeit limited Leica workshop facilities at MK. A friend recently had his Digilux 2 sensor replaced at MK in less than two weeks! Mine, which failed about a year ago had to go to Solms from MK. The experienced Leica technician at MK has been working only two days a week; probably due to lack of expensive test equipment and hence actual repair arisings. But I was very impressed that he can replace D2 sensors now.

We all have deeply felt views on the UK Leica network; but this is not the place or time to ventilate them.

"Youse" is also a slang Scots word for "you" singular or plural. Generally in a broad "Glasgie" accent. :D

Damn, there you go again, trying to lay claims to our language. :)

Seriously, I was unaware of that. Singular as well? Perhaps that's the case in the US, too. (Not a word I've often heard.)

I wonder if our Northeastern usage comes from the Scots, or whether it's a parallel development.