Jump to content

Leica R series camera thread


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I expect some followers of this thread will recognise my ID if they follow the Leica C image thread. That little camera is a real marvel in terms of flexibility and results.

Last year I took up analogue shooting again after many, many years by acquiring a Leica R3 so started following this R thread.  Images posted under the "R Lens" thread are most interesting, but many are shot with underlying camera equipment which is not even Leica. It occurs to me that perhaps a separate "R series camera image" thread might be interesting. After all, versatile as the R lenses might be they are really only part of the overall R Series results. A thread highlighting shots from vintage R cameras, with their appropriate R lens, might be interesting. 

What do followers think?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not see much value in differentiating between analogue pictures taken by different camera bodies.
Yes, they handle differently and using them can be a very different experience between e.g. the Leicaflex SL and a Leica R8, but in the end the lens and the film used will be what will determine the results. In most cases there will not be any difference between a picture taken with both camera's mentioned above, provided they are in good working order.

Of course if you take it to the extremes and use shutter times not available on older models or use motor drives that are faster I can imagine some differences, but again most of them will not show up in the single picture. That is the beauty of analog photography IMO. Any body, not matter which brand or how old it is can potentially produce the same results when using the same film and lens. Maybe I am missing something...

Just my 2 cents...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Are the sensors of digital cameras so different? The lenses, that are used, are more interesting. The thread "R-lenses image thread" is interesting enough for me.

 

Edited by jankap
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dpitt said:

..
Yes, they handle differently and using them can be a very different experience between e.g. the Leicaflex SL and a Leica R8, but in the end the lens and the film used will be what will determine the results

I agree 100%.

Fernando.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting topic, I've had the opportunity to use many SLR's over the years, but always preferred rangefinders. However in an impulse to return to film photography a few years ago purchased an R7 plus 28 - 70 Elmar R - giving me some fine results both on the R7, and with an adaptor on my MM246.

The obvious reason for using R lenses on non R kit is the cost, a good used R lens will be half the cost of an equivalent M lens. And as not all Leica users have deep pockets it makes economic sense to shoot with an affordable option.

But having said that, an R camera and lens thread would be a  good idea, especially now as film seems to be 'cool' again!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting comments, thank you.

I agree that ultimate image quality is determined by the lens quality, but that in turn is determined by the operator's settings of the receiving instrument. The venerable R series of cameras has varying and sometimes limiting scope of settings, and with modern day film emulsions it seems to me that results could present a certain "genra" of images which are quite unique from later Leica camera generations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, Pintpot said:

Interesting topic, I've had the opportunity to use many SLR's over the years, but always preferred rangefinders. However in an impulse to return to film photography a few years ago purchased an R7 plus 28 - 70 Elmar R - giving me some fine results both on the R7, and with an adaptor on my MM246.

The obvious reason for using R lenses on non R kit is the cost, a good used R lens will be half the cost of an equivalent M lens. And as not all Leica users have deep pockets it makes economic sense to shoot with an affordable option.

But having said that, an R camera and lens thread would be a  good idea, especially now as film seems to be 'cool' again!

+1

The R lens image thread is very interesting.
And I do use my R lens collection as a 'cheap' alternative to the M lenses of that period. They are at least as good and sometimes even better. In general they also have a shorter minimal focus distance and the FL range is a lot more extended too.

11 hours ago, leica dream said:

Interesting comments, thank you.

I agree that ultimate image quality is determined by the lens quality, but that in turn is determined by the operator's settings of the receiving instrument. The venerable R series of cameras has varying and sometimes limiting scope of settings, and with modern day film emulsions it seems to me that results could present a certain "genra" of images which are quite unique from later Leica camera generations.

Maybe I am missing something, but I see very minimal technical differences between a LeicaFlex from 1965 and a R9 from 2002. Other than the shutter speed of only 1/2000 in the Leicaflex compared to the 1/8000 of the R9, I do not see much that would make a shot taken with a R9 impossible to do with the Leicaflex. Unless you are referring to flash syncing options and studio work, I think most of the differences are in the handling.
The R8/R9 have the best optical viewfinder and focusing screen for 35mm reflex bodies that I ever put my hands on.

Compared to the differences between the early Barnacks and Barnacks compared to the Leica M series the differences are really small IMO. There you have issues with lacking view finders, slow as well as high speed and flash sync options huge differences... And of course the completely different (sometimes missing) rangefinder options.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...