London Meet - any ideas?

biglouis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Been some time now since we all met up. Clearly, the One meeting in Malta puts a constraint on what we do.

Brian, any ideas? One that Ivor has been suggesting for some time is that meet later in the day with our tripods and try to capture twilight/early evening along the southbank, say at about 3-4PM one Saturday in November.

Any takers? or would people prefer a more traditional time - or both???

LouisB

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys in the LULM - take a look at my recent post in the Group thread. I did not put this out widely until I got some reaction from the group first.

Now - Louis - yes it is about time we all got together - who's going to be the first to bring an M9? (It won't be me).

Bear in mind that the Lord Mayor's show is on the 14th Nov so the city and later on the south Bank etc. will be a zoo at around 5pm for the firework show.

Other Nov Saturdays would be good. I'll suggest 7th or 21st.

I have my correct vintage Kodak brownie to use too, I liked the idea of taking some photos with a camera as old as the cars (but I'll take a Leica along with me too).

I went down to Brighton for it a few years ago, the cars park along Marine Parade so you can get nice detail shots. They also have a parade of cars in Regent St on the Saturday. Getting to Hyde Park for 5am could be a problem for some of us!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I should just about be back from a trip to the land of tartan and commando (so they say :rolleyes:) by the 7th so I can make either date. :)

5 am in Hyde Park sounds, erm, challenging but the Brighton seafront is usually an interesting place to visit, even when it's not awash with vintage cars. And there's the Lanes and the Royal Pavilion to fall back on. 50 minutes or so train journey from Victoria or London Bridge ...

Pete.

Michael, no offence taken.

I am trying in my own little way to help Croydon's image with my new blog Croydon Confidential and idea for a forthcoming exhibition which I hope to hold locally later this year or next (shameless self promotion I know).

Very early days for the blog but I hope in time to show some of the recent and distant history and trivia of the town, with accompanying photography.

Croydon also has its own Leica dealer and a few decent pubs - essential pre-requisites for any Leica meet.

I have my correct vintage Kodak brownie to use too, I liked the idea of taking some photos with a camera as old as the cars........... (

So, the Brownie is much too young; try a Thornton-Pickard or Billcliff. ;)

btw, I think that you need some sort of licence for flash-powder these days. :(

"Terry and June", you have got to be joking. How is that helping Croydon's image? :) LOL

Fair point, but it's early days for the blog, I've got ideas and need to get out and get the photos. When I was growing up I remember Croydon was often mentioned in sitcoms, seemed to get a laugh for being a 'boring middle class suburb' which is probably better than the reasons it gets mentioned today for! But, it's not all chav's and concrete!

OT sorry. Not so keen on the Thames walk idea myself but I'll go with the flow, assuming I can make it on the day etc. The Hampstead meet was good, I know we talked about some other parts of London for similar visits, can't quite recall which ones though!

....Remember my idea about grabbing a Eurostar one Saturday morning and going to Paris / Brussels / Lille to take some photos - maybe meet up with the Paris posse and offer them a return venue ??

Good place to go might be the Albert Kahn museum to see the Autochromes...

Edited by robert_parker

..they look a bit like this...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

....no copyright breach intended....

....anyway, they haven't noticed they've gone yet.....;)

:)

Edited by robert_parker

Robert,

Sounds like a fun trip, as do some of the other ideas mentioned.

I'm keen to join the next meeting and don't really mind where or when, although of course if the time/date is no good I may not make it ....

BUT can the next London meet be in London, please. Time and finances may make some of the grander suggestions difficult for some of us, unless perhaps they were "one off" extras in addition to a regular local meeting. No offence intended to the lateral thinkers.

Tim

Edited by Tim B