S2 is a Dream

roguewave

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Isn't this a rather moot debate Doug? I would have thought the biggest weight issue for you will be the 350mm telephoto lens - if it ever materialises. It's all very well praising the body for its size relative to a scaled up D3X but having handled the 70/F2.5 I suspect the 350mm is going to be a monster. Combined with a TC of some sort this is surely going to be a world away from what you are used to with the DMR+400?

To repeat an earlier post - realistically the S2 is not a good fit for me, partly because of the $$$$$, partly because of the limited long-lens options, and partly because of how my subjects respond to a big camera.

What I like about the S2 is the thinking that went into it, particularly if the concept could be scaled down to fit a 24mm x 36mm sensor, with R mount. The Nikon D3x does not fit this concept, not even close.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

{snipped} What grates at me is that if it were shrunken down to 24mm x 36mm so that my existing R lenses and extension tubes would fit, this is very nearly my dream camera: the small camera / big picture concept, the minimal extraneous features, the excellent viewfinder, responsiveness and weather sealing are all on my 'must have' checklist. Shrink it down to R10 size ... oops, I mean R9 size, there's no R10... and I'd be first in line.

I'd keep you company in that line, Doug, as I'm sure many others would too. I still don't understand why this isn't forthcoming from Leica. Maybe not enough differentiation from the S2 itself...

To repeat an earlier post - realistically the S2 is not a good fit for me, partly because of the $$$$$, partly because of the limited long-lens options, and partly because of how my subjects respond to a big camera.

What I like about the S2 is the thinking that went into it, particularly if the concept could be scaled down to fit a 24mm x 36mm sensor, with R mount. The Nikon D3x does not fit this concept, not even close.

Doug, please don't...:o I would have to get one then, and the M9 and the lenses I bought this year cleaned out my photography budget for quite a stretch into the future....:(

What I like about the S2 is the thinking that went into it, particularly if the concept could be scaled down to fit a 24mm x 36mm sensor, with R mount... [snipped...]

I totally agree with you on this one. That's the only thing that would make sense for me if it were available...

I wonder if we could put a thread together that could catalogue all the current R users that would put a deposit down for a simple, FF R body, with manual focus, a wide range of ISO (1600-100) Aperture controlled program, with no extraneous extras. A R "CL". If we could find a large enough group, would that convince Leica's management? I'm ready to get going on some way to make Leica see there's a profit in such a proposition.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder if we could put a thread together that could catalogue all the current R users that would put a deposit down for a simple, FF R body, with manual focus, a wide range of ISO (1600-100) Aperture controlled program, with no extraneous extras. A R "CL". If we could find a large enough group, would that convince Leica's management? I'm ready to get going on some way to make Leica see there's a profit in such a proposition.

It doesn't have to be a manual focus camera; it just has to accept manual focus R glass :) I don't even care if it's an R body.

I actually want a cut down 35mm FF S2, please, that's compatible with R glass. Use the processors to shove more data around. Keep everything else, including the pro service plan.

Heck, I'd buy S2 lenses and use them cropped :) Talk about your upgrade path :)

I'll join the list too.

That Leica decided to ditch the R10 isn't so much that they couldn't turn a profit on the R10 per se but that they couldn't see that market grow further. After all, they sold about 6000 DMRs in total (if I remember correctly) and as a "compromise" solution I'd say that's a pretty good number. They should be able to sell 15,000-20,000 of a "final run" of fullframe digital Rs which would be pretty good -- if you compare to the 10,000 Ms they sell in a year. I can see the viability. We just have to push harder.

In my opinion Leica bet on the wrong horse going for the S2. Earlier this month they had 50 pre-orders. That sounds like a terribly small number to me.

It's not so much about S2 as "replacement" for the R10, or letting the R-System die in favor of the S-system. They would have come up with the S2 anyway and seeing the competition there it seems a wise choice from a long-term perspective (not just the S2 but establishing a professional system at all).

From what we know, the R10 (don't forget the set of AF-lenses they needed to develop!) died in favor of the new EVIL-system which could finally combine the advantages of the M AND R-system (and also using both lens-types - the AF-lenses for the R10 would just be recently developed curiosities)! But we'll have to wait for Photokina 2010 I guess.

Count me in.

I wonder if we could put a thread together that could catalogue all the current R users that would put a deposit down for a simple, FF R body, with manual focus, a wide range of ISO (1600-100) Aperture controlled program, with no extraneous extras. A R "CL"...

Or a digital R4s. We don't need AF, IS, EVF, live view or other gadgets. Just a simple camera with a bright viewfinder and a quiet shutter. But we are not many enough i'm afraid. Count me in anyway.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm in!:D

Me too. ! . But that's not going to happen. :(

It wouldn't make any sense for Leica to build such a camera with so small potential customers base. The solution for R users is not around the corner ( unless you 'canonize' your lenses :D )

Maybe -maybe- the next M will sport a full frame CMOS sensor with liveview and an usable EV. That would allow the use of M , R lenses and others brands glass too, with some constraints: no optical viewfinder for focusing/accurate framing and no automatic iris coupling.

Let's face it; right now either we use our R lenses on a R film body ( or R8/9 and DMR) or we have to go the Canon-Nikon route.

Count me in. The problem with the S2 is the perception that Leica leaves its customer base in the lurch. I bought my first Leicaflex in 1968 and I bought my R8 in 1998 BECAUSE it was designed to ultimately connect with the DMR before the DMR was ever engineered. I will not buy an S2 simply because I cannot afford to spend the money on a completely new system only to be abandoned a few years down the road. I can only hope that Leica will see the disaster about to befall them by leaving a significant portion of their customer base in the dust. Leica has abandoned it's R base completely - witness the emails about not being able to repair the DMR. What's to prevent them from abandoning the S2 base? Sorry for the rant but I am with Doug on this.

Bill in Denver

Count me in. The problem with the S2 is the perception that Leica leaves its customer base in the lurch. I bought my first Leicaflex in 1968 and I bought my R8 in 1998 BECAUSE it was designed to ultimately connect with the DMR before the DMR was ever engineered. I will not buy an S2 simply because I cannot afford to spend the money on a completely new system only to be abandoned a few years down the road. I can only hope that Leica will see the disaster about to befall them by leaving a significant portion of their customer base in the dust. Leica has abandoned it's R base completely - witness the emails about not being able to repair the DMR. What's to prevent them from abandoning the S2 base? Sorry for the rant but I am with Doug on this.

Bill in Denver

that's my exact feeling!