M8 Competition?

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the M is really their bread & butter they wouldn't have taken such a risk on the S2. I think lenses are their real forte and why not design and sell a series of fast prime lenses for the 4/3rds open standard? Further, a CL like body using the 4/3rds standard would not have competed with the future M9 (at least to hear everyone on this forum talk about how superior the M8 files are). Since I no longer have an M8 nor do I have the EP-1 I can't compare the files but I will probably get an EP-1 and try duplicating some M8 shots I have on file and see how the files compare for myself. I already know that at high ISO the EP-1 produces superior files to the M8 so the question is how does it do in the 200-800 range in comparison?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

S2 in my opinion has long road ahead, yet to be proven. People got to start from scratch with S2. I see they are trying to compete with MF/LF folks. From what I can guess right now, S2 will be more like professional only gear. So, different market segment if they could penetrate. Maybe, R folks won't be too bitter about being abandoned and invest in S2. Despite S2, I think M will still remain mainline.

I agree that lens being their forte (as stand alone product). So, if they are to go for big market, they should go like Zeis, make lens for all popular mount. But, I am sure they had their own reasons for not doing it.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have an ongoing dialogue with Leica, so we could put an end to all the speculation that goes on here regarding their motives for the decisions they make or don't make?

And BTW, where the heck is that perfect camera???????? When and where will it drop from the sky?????? :-) Anyone remember this? http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/7015-leicas-raining-sky.html#post67918

Edited by wilfredo

Over the years I have owned a number of Olympus products beginning with the venerable XA.

My last Oly was (is) a C8080 8 mpxl prosumer with a wide to moderate zoom. Olympus makes a very fine camera and will never let you down. However, it cannot hold a candle to the M8 in almost any respect you wish to name.

But, consider that you can buy the new 4/3 Oly and have enough money left over to to buy a Nikon D300 with lens and have change left over before you approach the cost of a new M8, and the Oly. makes a lot of sense.

It makes a lot of sense that is if, and that is a big if, you can do without the M8 bright viewfinder/rangefinder and superior resolution due to a sensor at least 1/2 again as large as the 4/3 format. Personally, even with vibration reduction, I'll never get used to holding the camera way out in front of me to properly frame it as you will have to do with the Oly.

It is really like comparing apples to oranges.

If the M is really their bread & butter they wouldn't have taken such a risk on the S2. I think lenses are their real forte and why not design and sell a series of fast prime lenses for the 4/3rds open standard? ....

If I remember well, they did one (Summilux 25 for 4/3) and I think it wasn't a success... the problem is that 4/3 is a "struggling standard" imho, which didn't find a market ready to pay for Leica prestige primes; the micro 4/3 is another tentative, and its success still to be evaluated : I think both Oly and Pana are interesting items (with the big problem of LCD framing for Oly), but is a move toward compactness-economic, and so once again, I fear, a market in which is difficult to position costly lenses as Leicas must be by definition.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a comparison shot between the EP-1 on the left and the Panasonic LX3 (DL4) on the right at ISO 1600. The image after is at ISO 3200. Please do tell me how the DL4 has better IQ than the EP-1.

The face of the lady on the left-hand shot (I did not even bother to look which camera is which) looks like it was made out of plasticine. It reminds me most of those digital mannequins that are so popular in computer games.

:D:D. So many are nowadays;). Anyway, it is one of the less meaningful comparisons on DpReview. Both are typical small sensor shots, the only real difference being the amount of noise-reduction. Which one could do just as easily -and/or better- in post.

:D:D. So many are nowadays;). Anyway, it is one of the less meaningful comparisons on DpReview. Both are typical small sensor shots, the only real difference being the amount of noise-reduction. Which one could do just as easily -and/or better- in post.

Agree - on both counts! ;)

But in any case, the EP1 does seem like quite a nice carry-around camera - once Olympus decide to put a viewfinder on it.

But you would have to admit that a D-Lux 4 with interchangeable lenses like the Oly Pen would be a killer camera!...

my point (and opinion) that dlux is much better from ergonomics point. it is taste thing too.

one thing i like that you get 24/2.0 as widest. I dont like all those big plastic crap around lenses on Ep-1, gah. Interchangable lenses should be used on m8, rd1. No competition from oly, pano etc yet

Ep-1 sensor looks improved so the oly sensor on Dlux4 would be big plus. and no need fucking interchangable on tiny bodies like ep1, dlux for me but i can understand some who like fiddle 100 lenses :)

If I remember well, they did one (Summilux 25 for 4/3) and I think it wasn't a success... the problem is that 4/3 is a "struggling standard" imho, which didn't find a market ready to pay for Leica prestige primes; the micro 4/3 is another tentative, and its success still to be evaluated : I think both Oly and Pana are interesting items (with the big problem of LCD framing for Oly), but is a move toward compactness-economic, and so once again, I fear, a market in which is difficult to position costly lenses as Leicas must be by definition.

The Olmpus/Pana rumors site has 'news' of Panasonic/Leica cooperation leading to a 16-50mm f/2.8-4.5 OIS (summarit) and a 30mm f/1.4 OIS (summilux) for M4/3 'to be introduced November'

Olympus and Panasonic digital cameras

Wouldn't that be nice, :o

a 17/2 Summicron would be even better :rolleyes:

Gerry

Guest stnami

Basically you were just talking rubbish for the sake of it....................tsk tsk about the f word, tomasis7. Such a lack of control or a nasty little badger

Edited by stnami

Basically you were just talking rubbish for the sake of it....................tsk tsk about the f word, tomasis7. Such a lack of control or a nasty little badger

aha that was the problem :) I forgot put "***" when other forums usually do it automatically with censured words :)