M8 Competition?

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

of course the PEN behaves like the small sensor camera it is.

HI Jaap

That sounds like a move in the p***g contest to me. You are neatly putting it in a bag with all the compact cameras with small sensors, when, in actual fact a comparison of pixel density:

Canon G10: 34mp / cm2

Olympus E_P1 5 mp / cm2

Leica M8 2 mp / cm2

Pentax K7 4 mp / cm2

puts the Olympus much closer to the M8 than to other 'small sensor' cameras.

And, having both the Pen, a D-lux4 and two M8s (etc.) I can assure you that it does NOT behave like a small sensor camera (except for it's handling of course). Whether you like it or not is a different matter.

It's actually pretty clear with respect to IQ: it's light AA filter and extra pixels doesn't quite make up for the lack of the AA filter on the M8, but it's considerably better at high ISO and has excellent colour. Added to which the Zuiko lenses are excellent, and certainly not out-resolved by the sensor - and lenses don't project light in 'points'. Furthermore, Wilfredo ditched it because he didn't like the focusing / handling, and not, I think, because he wasn't satisfied with the results.

Funny, I nearly always agree with what you say :p

One thing we can agree on is that we'd both much rather have an M8 than a Pen and that, of course, it's no competition for the M8 . . . but it's pretty good nonetheless, and the Image quality is streets better than any 'small sensor' camera I've ever used.

Have you tried one by the way?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest stnami

It is somehwhat a surprising comment from jaap considering he has a D3 which is four thirds............ but then again from his m8 perspective all cameras crap in his mind so it is no surprise about the misconception.

I am going to sit this oly out and see what transpires lens wise.........

Actually, the PEN is part of a retro-trend. Difficult times always bring on outbursts of nostalgia.

(factory product shot)

Oh, and whilst I'm being pedantic, this was actually in the market place before the 'difficult times' started, as was the beetle, the mini, the PT cruiser - as for the time to bring to market, it must have been designed and conceived right in the middle of the boom years

:)

Which does, btw, not detract from that being a very nice image.

I fail to see why these things have to turn into a p.....g contest. Of course the M8 has weak points, of course the PEN behaves like the small sensor camera it is. So what? If the user is satisfied with his results that is all that counts. If he isn't, well, Wilfredo has shown the way.

I was hardly surprised to return to see this thread turn into a urinary tract infection.

As if this cud needs more food:

115132833.jpg

It is somehwhat a surprising comment from jaap considering he has a D3 which is four thirds............ but then again from his m8 perspective all cameras crap in his mind so it is no surprise about the misconception.

I am going to sit this oly out and see what transpires lens wise.........

So I have, and it is an excellent camera for the purpose I have it for, i.e. medical photography and a backup for the DMR. But I do not think that would justify setting up a thread about " 5D competitor" in a canon forum..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I have, and it is an excellent camera for the purpose I have it for, i.e. medical photography and a backup for the DMR. But I do not think that would justify setting up a thread about " 5D competitor" in a canon forum..

:) Well I can agree with that - unfortunate thread title perhaps . . . maybe it's an unfortunate thread period.

am currently shooting with M lenses using Novoflex adaptor on the Pen and comparing them to my M8 images. don't worry, the M8 is better. Olympus Pen is intriguing (shooting stills and HD video with shake/vibration control using M lenses)! maybe a good back up? i'll try to post some images tomorrow. i can tell u now that the Pen is not competition for the M8, but it's still great camera and a courageous move my Olympus (my first Olympus ever). I shoot with a M8, M7 and D3. focusing M lenses on the Pen is also very interesting.

It's wonderful to see how important the M glass is in the whole Leica equation. One can see this by way of seeing the image results via a different sensor from a different manufacturer. Glass is a vital in how any digital camera draws the image. better leave this to sean reid and reid reviews (i'm sure he will bite on this camera and comparison). but using the leica glass on the Pen has been eye opening experience and can be used successfully. but it does not replace the M8.

oh, for u geeks, the elmar pictured here almost collapses completely on the Pen, but not advised to push too hard. The Pen and my 75mm asph apo cron work great as i currently do not have a long telephoto for the Pen.

hope this is of some interest for everyone.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!