Leica: Message to the customers of the LEICA M8

daniel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Re: "Purple Hissy fits" and the M8

Several replies are in order:

1. Erl: Thanks for noticing that "purple hissy fits" refers to the widespread panic of the magenta madness (oops, can one say say "mad" now without upsetting the psychiatric crowd?) comments that almost took over this forum for a while.

2. Sue: I apologize if you misconstrued my comment. Some of us Midwesteners still have this glib sense of humor. Lighten up, Sue -- this forum is supposed to be fun, as well as informative.

3. I just received my M8 yesterday, despite the commotion. I've carefully read Sean Reid's reviews, and agree with him that pragmatic heads should prevail. I have no intention of returning my camera, and love most all the pix I've shot since yesterday.

4. Although I don't make my living with a camera any more (used to shoot both news and commercial), I remember that one adapts the equipment for the situation, whether that be adding filtration, using strobes, relectors, meters, etc. -- ie., whatever it takes to get the picture.

5. I'm sure Leica will fix the problem -- much of their financial future depends on it.

6. Leica's biggest problem lies, I think, in not addressing the problem soon enough. I'm sure that the Fotokina deadline usurped a bit of their marketing common-sense -- not unusual for a company struggling for survival like Leica is.

7. Could everyone please lighten up? Photography used to be fun. Now it's starting to sound like the elections here (USA) last week, with everybody and their brother at each other's throats.

8. Sue: Although I'm not a psychiatrist, I do have a masters degree, and am not quite following the "passive-aggressive" thing in regard to my comments. My ex-wife will tell you that my real problem (among many others, as you might guess) is closer to obsessive-compulsive disorder. You'd never believe how many times I had to type that last sentence.

9. Cheers to Sean Reid for all his great work on the M8, as well as working with Leica. BTW, Sean, I agree with you concerning Christian's integrity at Leica -- I spent a bunch of time with him at last May's LHSA Spring Shoot in Saratoga Springs, NY. His frankness and candid manner concerning all things Leica was both refreshing and sounded genuine.

10. Cheers to everyone else trying to keep their heads through this difficult period. As many have pointed out, all of these problems with the M8 will wane in the upcoming months, and will be hopefully forgotten next year.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Friends of Leica,

Customer feedback to us following the start of shipment of the LEICA M8 points to a performance under certain conditions that does not meet the expectations in the Leica brand. Our technical and engineering teams have isolated the source of these concerns und have identified definitive solutions. Over the next two weeks we will communicate a plan to further assure you of your investment in the LEICA M8.

We hope for your understanding and support. Please accept that I will not be able to answer all messages in the forum personally.

Kind regards

Leica Camera AG

Stefan Daniel

Product Management

Thanks Stefan ! In the meantime I worked with the DMR and this is a fabulous piece of eguipment. For instance, see http://www.fotorobvantwoudt.nl name: bastion hotels

All taken with the DMR.

We were in Solms a week ago and I have played with the M 8 and I took my G 4 with me and all was well. But I didn't make pictures of certain black clothing.

I am sure leica will solve this and the M 8 will be again of the most fine camera's.

I am not new on this forum but my old password didn't work so I must login again.

I've written up an article on the magenta/purple color rendition issue, comparing the Leica M8, the Nikon D200, and a Canon EOS 5D-IR (infrared): Infrared Contamination

Lloyd....thanks so much for the extremely lucent and well done post about the effects of IR, and the resultant color shifts in the observed images. Those of us who are not experts in the more arcane aspects of digital photographer are in your debt.

Elliot

I've written up an article on the magenta/purple color rendition issue, comparing the Leica M8, the Nikon D200, and a Canon EOS 5D-IR (infrared): Infrared Contamination

Your link to the IR filters shows the 489 filter. In another thread on this subject it appears not just any IR filter will work (eliminate the magenta/purple) colors. Apparently the B + W 486 is the correct filter, or a Heliopan digital glass or Tiffen Hot Mirror filter will work. I have already ordered on filter at over $160 with shipping which will not do the job. Does anyone know if the 489 actually provides the correction required?

Purple Fringe and my M8,

lately things don't seem the same,

actin' funny but I don't know why

'scuse me while I sit and cry.

Purple Fringe all around,

don't know if I'm coming up or down.

Am I happy or in misery?

Whatever it is, that red dot, puts a spell on me.

Purple Fringe was it in my eyes,

don't know if it's day or night,

you've got me blowing, blowing my mind

will they fix it tomorrow or just the end of time?

;-)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After two days of shooting with the M8, I know that I love the little beastie but I also know that my income would be severely threatened if I intended to use it as a pro.

It's just not fully baked yet and too unreliable in mixed-lightning, available light situations for good, repeatable and sellable color.

Come on, Leica: get you act together and fix it. I have weddings to shoot next summer and hope to be reliably digital by then.

-g

Perhaps it's not a big news for all of you, but I wanted to post it. I talked for some time to my Leica dealer in Germany and he told me that leica stopped there shippend in Germany and they won't get any new ones until the problems are fixed and the camera is 100% there it should be.

Christopher

Perhaps it's not a big news for all of you, but I wanted to post it. I talked for some time to my Leica dealer in Germany and he told me that leica stopped there shippend in Germany and they won't get any new ones until the problems are fixed and the camera is 100% there it should be.

Christopher

that's new to me. i think that's the right thing to do; imo it would be hard for them to do otherwise. this is a long shot: did you get any statement from the dealer as to when Leica thinks they may start shipping again? of course, they won't know precisely....but are we talking weeks or months?

Whilst it is admirable for Leica to try to make the progression from film to digital, in doing so it has created the possibility of the final nail in its coffin. In short, a very expensive, niche camera that is already fataly flawed due to IR problems with the sensors IR filter. They have, however, come clean about its shortfall and has offered the only available fix at the present time, at a cost to the owners of the faulty equipment of course. Some may regard this situation as unfortunate; others as a clear sign that Leica owners do indeed have "more money than sense".

Phil Askey, London

Filters?

...Then perhaps the plan is to get us all filters after all.

-Max

From a client concern standpoint, and due to the fact that several Vendors have a limited Window for return/s, many people have to make a decision rather fast as to whether they should send their Bodies back.

If Askey was asked to hold his Review from DPreview, and then today, post's a strange and biting comment toward the M8, I think that the writing may be on the wall.

I am not averse to keeping my M8, which I like, But the window to return it, (should the solution actually be one of filters), is closing for several New M8 Owners.

Caveat emptor. Read your shop's return policy, as in two weeks, you may be commited, either way.

Max

If Askey was asked to hold his Review from DPreview, and then today, post's a strange and biting comment toward the M8, I think that the writing may be on the wall.

It took me a couple of minutes to find the original article on BBC's web site and Phil's comment close to the bottom ... not sure if he knows something that we don't but, I'm totally speechless.

I was a little suspicious of that post at the beginning too but it appears that post-n-run is not possible on the BBC site and it's clearly indicated that all submission are subject to editing and there's no guarantee of publishing. Now I wonder if the drama has driven to its climax and all needs to be brought to "the end"?

I think I prefer the occassional rant here on this forum to the unmitigated drivel an spin on that BBC article. Both the article writer and the following commenters, including Phil Askey, are clearly 'tilting' their remarks to suit a point they wish to make. They are anything but objective and conveniently leaving out vital points of fact, that fortunately can be found on this site (in amongst the emotion).

I am settling back in my office chair now and contemplating how I will continue work with my RD-1 which desperately needs its big brother. Oh well, fudge it as usual till the cavalry arrives.:D

Cheers,

Erl

Thank you Simon.

Pascal, Guy, Marc and Ruben have already bought or decided to buy a couple of IR filters if i understand well.

Would you do the same Simon, Erl and others and would you be prepared to consider this solution as a definitive fix for the IR issues?