Hessenpark News: Official - No R10: no FF M9 (yet)

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Surely impossible. The S system sensor/flange distance is greater than that of the R system.

Well, there goes that idea. I was under the impression that there had been talk of an adaptor to mount R lenses on the S2.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well in light of all this news..I hope they find it in their budget to make a few more dmr batteries..I would like to use my lenses on at least it for the next few years.

How cool would it be to send in the dmr for a downsized S2 sensor..I'd pay some cash for that.

on the otherhand if someone can make a evil camera of the same quality of that,. would work for me too..

There are dozens of small, silent cameras out there that shoot 10 mpxl and up.

Yes, but the point you are missing is that many of us that use M cameras don't want to use SLRs, don't want to peer at an LCD that can't be seen in bright sunshine, or just prefer the M over both. Sure, it's a limited market, but so what Leica don't have te resources to play with the big boys anyhow.

Leica have rebadged Panasonics if you feel the need to use something more mainstream.

So I had this weird dream that Leica had canceled' the R10........ Crap, it's not a dream.

On on hand, if it's because they discovered some new wiz-bang technology and are starting with a clean sheet, that's fine. But I can't imagine enjoying using my R lenses with an EVF that is as good as my SL2 mot finder.

Also, didn't I read they were only going to support the R8/9 for a short time and then that's it? This doesn't seem to me that they are moving along with the tradition of supporting the equipment as in the past - if that's what they said.

This is like a weird dream after all. Finally, didn't anyone ask them WHY this is happening?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, but the point you are missing is that many of us that use M cameras don't want to use SLRs, don't want to peer at an LCD that can't be seen in bright sunshine, or just prefer the M over both. Sure, it's a limited market, but so what Leica don't have te resources to play with the big boys anyhow.

Leica have rebadged Panasonics if you feel the need to use something more mainstream.

Exactly. R10dreamer talks too much rubbish.

Simply that M wins over DSLR because DSLR will emerge to compact EVF cameras. Less vibration, thats good but M already has this advantage there for many many years and you still get real good optical VF. One needs really understand advantage of RF capability. Im glad that M vf and manual focusing doesnt need to be compromised for future. That makes this totally unique overall.

In the light of the EVF R followup statement, I reiterate my expectation that Panasonic will make the camera. There is arguably no camera manufacturer in a better position to make a decent EVF, Leica and Panasonic are already partners, and anyway, Panasonic has been trying quite long now to break into the DSLR market, without much success. I don't think the 4/3 market is large enough for more than Olympus, and although the u4/3 market currently belongs to Panasonic, Olympus' digital Pen could change that overnight.

For Panasonic to build a G1-like FF camera which takes both uFF and adapted Leica lenses (similar to the situation with the G1 taking u4/3 and adapted 4/3 lenses), would give them an immediate advantage at the high end of that market. At least superificially it seems like a really interesting idea. If the camera is R7-sized, probably minus the prism, this would place it as *the* high-end compact FF camera on the market. In some ways, it would be like a Mamiya 7, and could have compact, high-quality wide angle lenses, and also teles, of course.

I think it will be Panasonic but why dont they just build a FF DSLR to take Leica lenses old and new?

Jeff

I suppose it's mildly disappointing but, personally, I am happy that I have in my hands today a digital RF that's capable of taking excellent pictures despite the prospects of technical advances. It might be nice to have improvements but I'm prepared to continue to appreciate the tangible camera that I actually have for the time being. :)

Pete.

I have been saving the shekels for a M9, I do hope that the M8 does not become a dead end.

Also difficult to buy more lenses if the future of the system is in doubt.

Jeff

Dude, the M is the only reason I shoot Leica. I have a lot of friends in the company and wish them much success with the upcoming S line and whatever they do with the R but they are not for me. For my style, the M is the only camera, actually I only own and shoot Ms.

Cheers,

Well I second that. If it wasn't for the M8 I'd probably have 1 or 2 M film cameras, collectiing dust most of the time, but would still have my nikon glass and probably a D700 (or whatever the full frame smaller body nikon is).

The R system or any other SLR camera doesn't interest me one bit.

If so it won't be Canon because they don' do that kind of thing. It won't be Nikon because they can sell as many as they make. It won't be Sony because of the relationship with Zeiss.

So my guess it's with Pentax who currently make a well regarded full frame camera that allows the use of older lenses with mechanical diaphragm control.

Canon's camera division is more than twice the size of Nikon's and five times as profitable. Canon has their own sensor (well, sort of). Nikon buys one off the shelf. Most likely a version of the Sony sensor. Most likely, both sensors are developed with hidden Japanese governmental subsidies. Most likely, neither of them are allowed to share this sensor technology with companies outside Japan. (Many - mostly Americans with no insight in international trade, except for the info that CNN will give you, will now call this bull***. I am prepared to discuss this anytime, anywere, but not here. But first, read all you can of all the press statements and verbal info in the annual reports of - particularly - Nikon). Zeiss do have a Japanese subsidiary. A smart thing.

Exactly. R10dreamer talks too much rubbish.

Simply that M wins over DSLR because DSLR will emerge to compact EVF cameras. Less vibration, thats good but M already has this advantage there for many many years and you still get real good optical VF. One needs really understand advantage of RF capability. Im glad that M vf and manual focusing doesnt need to be compromised for future. That makes this totally unique overall.

Well tomasis if you want to make this personal I am up for that. Do you actually take pics with your camera? Can I see some? There is nothing the M can do that any $600 digital camera can't do except have an ILS. I wasn't being personal to you I was talking in general about the M, R and S. You want to keep it on that level? Jerk.

Actually, having though about it a bit... the thought of a panasonic FF EVIL camera makes perfect sense.

They generally have the technology ready in the G1 it is purely a matter of scaling the sensor. and finding a partner for FF lens design.. just so happens that Leica have some of the worlds finest glass design in stock looking for a new R body.

It would not take too much imagination to think maybe even Panasonic did see the frenzy of Canon and Nikon FF cameras, some engineers and product guys thinking "we can do that". In the end they might simply have made a very good offer to Leica, and we could see the R designs re-born with autofocus rather quickly because instead of Leica messing with this for 4-5 years, Panasonic would want to get into the game while the ball is still in play, and they have the resources to do just that, for them to get involved with the R lenses simply mean fantastic glass with little development.

Doing a EVIL with Leica, also give Panasonic instant street-cred, which they will need to take on the FF market, these are serious amateurs and professionals, saying this is a Leica collaboration will put the camera in a much more favorable light. (how can something kind of cool be called EVIL anyway) .

Im guessing this makes for pretty interesting platform for the current R lenses for a good time to come, probably with a short register FF camera and a cool R lens adapter. it also solves the problem of integrating advanced lens technology into the aging R lens-mount.

Just my 2 cents, your millage may vary.

I have seen this before working at a computer company that kept turning over senior management. It usually means that the company has lost its sense of direction and is reaching at straws. Leica is clutching tightly to its S2 straw in hopes it will be spun into gold. In the process it continues to try an milk its traditional line (the M & its lenses) in hopes that its loyal customers that it is quietly abandoning will continue to spend money until that straw turns to gold at which time it can say chow baby. Wasn't it just over a year ago that it said the M would always be its premier photographic line?

The reason the R has been cancelled is because of the economy. What Clinton was saying in 92 about the main concern of voters was "It's the economy stupid"...

Yes i remember this as well. I forgot a ;) in my post sorry.

Any chance that we could have just one thread that doesn't degenerate into having a pop at other forum members, please?

no way, we are all it this point a little frustrated, bad economy, the little hope of some future toys ripped from our consciousness, drives us to the limit!! ..maybe there should be a polite, gentile sub forum for the ivorytower guys or one for the rest of us who would like to take someone who pops off and is offensive out to the car park for straightening out.. comeon we still have some bit of male dna left in our blood..I hope.

and it is all harmless internet bluff here anyway..just kidding andy, you are of course right as usual.

Edited by paulmoore