Hessenpark News: Official - No R10: no FF M9 (yet)

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

german is my mother tongue. the german word 'adequat' means 'functioning'..but has a certain sense of negativity to it. not something you would use

in an advertisement campaign.

peter

OK, more R stuff...

"There will be NO Leica made digital "R" camera. But an "adequate solution" (hang on - don't panic yet!) for the use of R lenses WILL be coming. That's a guarantee."

The term "adequate" was obviously in German, and Carl believes that this translates into English as "good". Anyone help us out here? Is there a German word which is "adequate" that can be translated as "good"? I will try to get an answer from one of the others who are there.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

german is my mother tongue. the german word 'adequat' means 'functioning'..but has a certain sense of negativity to it. not something you would use

in an advertisement campaign.

peter

Thanks - so we will have a "functioning solution" maybe. Well, that's better than a non-functioning one :)

Personally, I see no reason for Leica to keep making the M system. The M camera was special until the digital revolution made small cameras that can take 10mpxl images. The M was defined by its size, quiet shutter and excellent images. All of that is available now by 6-8 different companies making compact digital cameras. What possible advantage does an M camera have in today's image market? None except the ability to change glass but even that advantage is mitigated by the quality of the new lenses and the quality of the software. The M is an abacus in a computer world. For Leica to keep moving forward they need to do something that distances themselves from their competition and the M isn't it. So, all of you that are happy and expecting Leica to keep making the M over evolving the R, are in my mind, signing the death warrant for Leica as a viable manufacturer of camera equipment. They need to improve and expand on the ff digital SLR market with a new digital R10 and compete in the professional market with their S2. Any more funds put into the M are funds that they should give to charity or improve the two lines that can help them. The S and the R.

GD Whalen Photography

Dude, the M is the only reason I shoot Leica. I have a lot of friends in the company and wish them much success with the upcoming S line and whatever they do with the R but they are not for me. For my style, the M is the only camera, actually I only own and shoot Ms.

Cheers,

How so?

They are just not interested in the competition to their own glass. Both of them market their lenses as the best glass in the world, so how do you introduce Leica lenses after that? I just don't see it at all. Maybe there is some possibility, but I really don't see any.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They are just not interested in the competition to their own glass. Both of them market their lenses as the best glass in the world, so how do you introduce Leica lenses after that? I just don't see it at all. Maybe there is some possibility, but I really don't see any.

You might not see any, but they already did modify the F2 to the F2-R (check it on Camera Quest website here), and history could just repeat itself; this means that Nikon has the know-how to do it - will & agreements are a different matter of course :D

clearly it will cause bitterness but trashing the R system and not further developing the M sytem is a very sound business decision.

unfortunately they have concentrated all their resources into another economic disaster-in-the-make, the S2.

they should rather concentrate on lenses for canikon, pentax, sony..etc.

peter

The term "adequate" was obviously in German, and Carl believes that this translates into English as "good". Anyone help us out here? Is there a German word which is "adequate" that can be translated as "good"?

It really depends on who says it and how he says it, but something like “eine adäquate Lösung” could mean a solution “worthy of” the R lenses. German “adäquat” carries slightly more positive connotations than English “adequate” and can certainly mean “good” in some contexts.

It really depends on who says it and how he says it, but something like “eine adäquate Lösung” could mean a solution “worthy of” the R lenses. German “adäquat” carries slightly more positive connotations than English “adequate” and can certainly mean “good” in some contexts.

i shall doublecheck on monday with my cambridge colleagues in the german language department, but i'd say you might want to doublecheck your semantics of the english language.

peter

I was at the meeting of the LUF in Hessenpark when Stefan Daniel announced this bombshell.

Leica will not attempt to muscle in on the DSLR market, as they see it a a sure way to commit harakiri.

But there is no reason to sell your R lenses (unless, of course, you want to send them to me :D)

In a later conversation I had with Stefan later he outlined Leica's plans with full commitment:

Leica will have a FF EVF camera, fully compatible with R lensand of Leica quality. On the the EVF he said that Leica regards the G1 EVF as the very lowest acceptable quality and is aiming to offer something substantially better.es

Edited by jaapv

AFAIK, you have to stop down meter when putting R glass on ANY other maker's body. Not something I have ever looked into - maybe I need to do so a bit more seriously now.

Actually, I hate to say this (I dislike it as well) but you don't need to stop down on the G1, as the EVF will gain up from quite a small aperture (f8 is fine).

It makes a really good solution for using older MF lenses, and with a few firmware tweaks it could be much better . . . despicable though it might be!

On the the EVF he said that Leica regards the G1 EVF as the very lowest acceptable quality and is aiming to offer something substantially better.es

They've obviously revised their standards, there was no such reticence when they flogged the Digilux 2 - that camera's EVF was truly dreadful.

The issue with any EVF is that as the light level goes down, the noise goes up and the frame rate goes down. Leicas will get best results from an EVF if they work with the lens wide open, just like an SLR.

Given the Digilux 3 worked with R lenses, maybe the R solution is that camera with a FF sensor and the flappy mirror thing replaced with the best EVF on the market. Can't imagine the purists will be happy but it's better than nothing.

Edited by marknorton

I'd say "appropriate" is another suitable translation of "adäquat".

I'd say "appropriate" is another suitable translation of "adäquat".

I think the answer has been given. And Stefan Daniel said- in English - "a good solution", so I do not think this semantic discussion needs to be.