Leica Camera Mayfair advertising for staff ...

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Camera Mayfair in London is advertising for a Deputy Manager and Store Assistants ... their advert appears in this week's BJP ... the store appears to be Leica Camera's very own and will have a VIP and demonstration lounge ... advert hints at staff hosting evening guest events ... mention is made of the 'an even more eventful future including the launch of the LEICA S2 professional camera system' ... closing date for applications (by Email only) is 31 March.

I can imagine there are several very experienced photo store personnel already working in London who will be eager to explore this opportunity ...

I look forward to a visit when it opens ...

Cheers

dunk

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they've done their homework and are not siting it in Shepherd's Market...

Does the advertisement give any clue as to whether former employees of Jessops are welcome?

The VIP area counts me out then, but I'm sure Seal will look forward to them fawning all over him.

I hope they've done their homework and are not siting it in Shepherd's Market...

Does the advertisement give any clue as to whether former employees of Jessops are welcome?

The VIP area counts me out then, but I'm sure Seal will look forward to them fawning all over him.

Well it does state:

"Applicants should have high end pro photo retail experience and be very familiar with the B2B nature of the industry"

... and ...

"Applicants for both roles must be able to demonstrate a high level of customer care in a similar retail environment and be comfortable serving a broad range of client types " ... ;)

Existing dedicated London Leica dealers are not going to be happy if the new store sells Leica equipment ...

Cheers

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

B2B nature of the industry

I'm not sure who they think they are kidding. With the creative business economy in the hole it's in, the S2 is almost certainly going to be increasingly marketed at the affluent consumer and the choice of a Mayfair location for their store doesn't exactly contradict this direction.

Leica UK opening their own shop is a surprise - I really didn't see this coming. I wonder how Caplan feels about it (being nearest and probably serving the same type of 'old fart with money' customer)?

I'm not sure who they think they are kidding. With the creative business economy in the hole it's in, the S2 is almost certainly going to be increasingly marketed at the affluent consumer and the choice of a Mayfair location for their store doesn't exactly contradict this direction.

Leica UK opening their own shop is a surprise - I really didn't see this coming. I wonder how Caplan feels about it (being nearest and probably serving the same type of 'old fart with money' customer)?

And ... Red Dot, Classic Camera and RG Lewis are not that far away either ... maybe they could consider selling the Hasselblad H3DII c/w lens at just £9750 plus VAT.

E. Leitz (London) used to have offices in Mortimer Street W1 before WW2.

Cheers

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

Classic Camera aren't Leica dealers anymore.

Maybe the shop is for the S2 only? Wasn't there something about it only being sold through certain channels? If they are serious about the pro market they will need to offer the kind of back up and other services expected - good way to control that is do it yourself.

Presumably the Leica dealers in London already know about the shop and the reasoning behind it?

Now, what salary are they offering? I'm so fed up with my job!!

How is this different from Apple opening up their own store in Regent Street, when John Lewis is 5 minutes walk away, and there is an Apple-only store at Tottenham Court Road/Oxford Street?

I suspect that they will use this opportunity to bring added value to their customers, with things like seminars and drinks evenings etc.

I think Leica have missed a trick here. They could have developed it into a reality TV show.

Something along the line of The Apprentice perhaps - or Masterchef ('PHOTOGRAPHY RETAIL DOESN'T GET ANY TOUGHER THAN THIS') perhaps? You have to shout the bold text to make it sound like the prats from Masterchef - appologies to non UK residents who don't know what I'm talking about.

There could have been a couple of no-hopers from Jessops ("It's like digital init"), and maybe some one from Classic Camera ("What are you doing coming into my shop? Get out at ONCE!"), and maybe a couple of normal people who plod along but are hard working and get the sales without any screaming and tantrums. Hmm, not like The Apprentice after all if there are normal people.

Anyhow, it could all lead to a final where the successful contestant would be the one that sold me an S2 for £1000. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Edited by stunsworth

Nasty... Envy is so corrosive. What's he done to upset you, Mark?

Childish comments aside, I see this as a positive step - a flagship store in a prime location, appropriately staffed can only be an asset, and will send a strong message to the market.

Regards,

Bill

I think Leica have missed a trick here. They could have developed it into a reality TV show.

Something along the line of The Apprentice perhaps - or Masterchef ('PHOTOGRAPHY RETAIL DOESN'T GET ANY TOUGHER THAN THIS') perhaps? You have to shout the bold text to make it sound like the prats from Masterchef - appologies to non UK residents who don't know what I'm talking about.

There could have been a couple of no-hopers from Jessops ("It's like digital init"), and maybe some one from Classic Camera ("What are you doing coming into my shop? Get out at ONCE!"), and maybe a couple of normal people who plod along but are hard working and get the sales without any screaming and tantrums. Hmm, not like The Apprentice after all if there are normal people.

Anyhow, it could all lead to a final where the successful contestant would be the one that sold me an S2 for £1000. Sounds like a great idea to me.

I know I shouldn't but this did make me laugh.....

Kudos to Leica for opening a flagship store. Although having built up relationships with several other stores in London I don't think I'd be running off to Mayfair.

LouisB

How is this different from Apple opening up their own store in Regent Street, when John Lewis is 5 minutes walk away, and there is an Apple-only store at Tottenham Court Road/Oxford Street?

I think it's different because John Lewis sell an awful lot more than just Apple computers (as in fact do Micro Anvika - the other retailer I think you reference). The market for Apple is also considerably larger than that for Leica and, I suspect, can therefore more easily absorb new entrants into the retail channel.

If the introduction of the new store significantly expands the market for Leica products then everyone wins but I can't help but see it simply taking a significant slice of the existing market from the established London dealers - particularly if the new store gets first dibs on available stock from Leica UK. If it's an S2 only store then the situation is different and established dealers will have less to grouse about.

......I see this as a positive step - a flagship store in a prime location, appropriately staffed can only be an asset.......

Regards,

Bill

I agree Bill. A pity you spoiled it by resurrecting your spat with Mark.

Wouldn't it be nice if for once....please....we could have a thread that remained on topic without all this nonsense. IMHO of course.

Edited by stevelap

Oh! I wasn't aware. They still advertise Leica on their website but I noticed they sell Nikon too ... and Zeiss lenses.

Yes, but it's all grey imports I understand. I know the story behind the change at Classic, but won't tell it.

Having read the advert, although it specifically mentions the forthcoming S2 it would suggest that the shop will be stocking the Leica range.

I think Andy is right, it will be something like an Apple store. Time will tell. Are there any such shops in other cities? I know there's a shop at the Leica factory which I understand sells at MRRP - if this is the case with the London shop the other dealers could have a price advantage as well as the s/h trade of course which I doubt the Leica shop will want to engage in.

Having read the advert, although it specifically mentions the forthcoming S2 it would suggest that the shop will be stocking the Leica range.

I think Andy is right, it will be something like an Apple store. Time will tell. Are there any such shops in other cities? I know there's a shop at the Leica factory which I understand sells at MRRP - if this is the case with the London shop the other dealers could have a price advantage as well as the s/h trade of course which I doubt the Leica shop will want to engage in.

No doubt they would also sell other non-Leica equipment as well .. maybe even Apple computers :) ... and up-market printers ... and Billingham bags ... and studio lighting ... and tripods (wonder which brand?) ... Would make sense to have a whole professional package competitively priced under one roof ... Including S2 system hire facilities ... latter would be "one in the eye" for Calumet and the Pro Centre ...

Maybe I'll apply for a job too James ... :)

Cheers

dunk

I agree Bill. A pity you spoiled it by resurrecting your spat with Mark.

Wouldn't it be nice if for once....please....we could have a thread that remained on topic without all this nonsense. IMHO of course.

I couldn't agree with you more, Steve, hence my objection to Mark's ad hominem dig at someone who has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

Back on topic, has anyone any direct experience of Leica Ginza? It may give us some pointers to what is planned.

Regards,

Bill