The new M8 - 2.0 Firmware is online

Guest farbtupfer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm with Neil Ambrose on this - if you're shooting for a client and are not going to get a second chance, you need all the help you can get!

Well, how have managed photographers in the past when AUTO ISO feature didn't exist in the old times of film cameras?

I'm sure if, in the past, someone here would have complain about the M8 because of the lack of AUTO ISO, the same people who now love the AUTO ISO function would have kill him in public.

Do you remember the main (only) difference between the Digilux 2 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1? The Panasonic model had AUTO ISO. Leicaists were saying that AUTO ISO was a heresy. The Leica model was better for that reason...

Personally, I don't mind this feature because it can be disabled. I'm simply surprised by your reactions.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DuquesneG
Still not getting your point. (What is your point?)

We all know how the M8 works. More importantly we know that short of a hardware fix (new body with external ISO button) there's no alternative to the menu. Except ...to code and include an auto-ISO algorithm

There is my point...in your own words :p

but can you limit the ISO range to, say, 1250 or 640 or whatever, so it doesn't go straying off the top and into never-never land?

Not only can you do that, I have mine set to 640, but you keep your exposure compensation factor dialed in across the range as well.

I have mine set at -2/3rd since I like the look of a good properly exposed slide film and don't care for the look of blown highlights or washed out mid tones.

This is the best update they have done yet.

One thing I have to comment on is that unlike the other camera manufactures, Leica seems to really only put on an update in terms of firmware when it really counts in terms of features.

Let's be up front here: If instead of needing to delve into a menu, the M8 had had a quick way of changing ISO on the fly like almost every other mid and top-end DSLR, few people who call themselves serious photographers would be applauding the auto-ISO as an important feature.

Lets be up front here. Autot ISO is a way to quickly, very quickly, change the ISO and if you had set the ISO to something like 640 or above and then found yourself in a brightly lit area you may run out of shutter speed or need to increase the f/stop above what you wanted.

With Auto ISO the ISO will drop to the lowest, 160, available.

Auto ISO also works with manual shutter speeds. So if you need a faster shutter speed you can set it and A-ISO will make sure you have the proper exposure. the meter take into account the current A-ISO being used and gives you the arrows so you can adjust the f/stop or shutter speed.

But then if this feature doesn't suit you then DON'T use it. No one is making you.

Guest DuquesneG
Lets be up front here. Autot ISO is a way to quickly, very quickly, change the ISO and if you had set the ISO to something like 640 or above and then found yourself in a brightly lit area you may run out of shutter speed or need to increase the f/stop above what you wanted.

With Auto ISO the ISO will drop to the lowest, 160, available.

Auto ISO also works with manual shutter speeds. So if you need a faster shutter speed you can set it and A-ISO will make sure you have the proper exposure. the meter take into account the current A-ISO being used and gives you the arrows so you can adjust the f/stop or shutter speed.

But then if this feature doesn't suit you then DON'T use it. No one is making you.

Thanks for the explanation of how auto-ISO works, but, um, I already knew that. I also knew already that no one is making me use it. Thanks also for your permission not to use it. None of what you ranted however, goes a millimeter in the direction of addressing my point, let alone contradicting it...that point being that the clumsy, awkward, menu-driven manual ISO change that the M8 was saddled with, makes auto-ISO more useful than it would have been if the M8 had a quick way to change ISO manually without taking the camera from the eye...like most other digital cameras have. And, that auto-ISO would be more useful still, if the M8 had both a wider range of ISOs and more even noise performance between them. Again, as most current-generation DSLRs do.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Done with the update.

That new ISO thingy is Brilliant.

It's actually Leica's kind of weird remedy of not giving us a quick access button for it. You can limit it to whatever you want, so It don't go high and add a lot of noise to your photos. What I dont understand is, why they didnt give us EV quick access too with this... anyway

I don't get it why people are angry with it. Leica gave you 3 options for ISO: 1) leave it to manual, 2) Use auto with limiting function so that you dont get noise and 3)use it full auto. So why do you whine?

None of what you ranted however, goes a millimeter in the direction of addressing my point, let alone contradicting it...that point being that the clumsy, awkward, menu-driven manual ISO change that the M8 was saddled with, makes auto-ISO more useful than it would have been if the M8 had a quick way to change ISO manually without taking the camera from the eye...like most other digital cameras have. And, that auto-ISO would be more useful still, if the M8 had both a wider range of ISOs and more even noise performance between them. Again, as most current-generation DSLRs do.

I haven't ranted at anyone yet, so I'll agree -- the ISO change method isn't as good as a D3's. But since the M8 isn't a D3, and doesn't have the D3 wheel...what's the point of arguing about it? ISO has been fixed in the past largely because the film was fixed. I suspect a high-quality variable ISO film would have been considered a major advance (by some people, anyway.)

Leica people are weird: Leica puts in a feature much valued by some people, that can be easily disabled, and yet the people who don't want it are offended. I mean, it's not like it's any visible change in the works...there aren't any extra buttons or toggles...it's just a software script somewhere. What's the f----- problem?

JC

.... but after you've loaded the new firmware, is there a way to turn Auto-ISO on and off? It appears to me that it is on, permanently. There is a reference to page 121 in the new M8.2 manual but I can't seem to find that online.... I'm clearly missing something obvious, so what is it?

LouisB

.... but after you've loaded the new firmware, is there a way to turn Auto-ISO on and off? It appears to me that it is on, permanently. There is a reference to page 121 in the new M8.2 manual but I can't seem to find that online.... I'm clearly missing something obvious, so what is it?

LouisB

Auto ISO is an option in the menu, it can be found at the same place as the other ISO settings.

Hmm... it looks as the processing has gotten better, has other experienced this?

I tested it against the hacked log firmware, the new firmware has some good qualities.

Wow......I am starting to think they might have indeed knocked back some noise in this update.

First is D700, ISO 1600, CZ 35/2, F/4 in ACR, standard adjustments, ( 25, .5, 25 ), 25 color noise.

Second is M8, ISO 1250, 28/2, F/4 in ACR, standard adjustments, ( 25, .5, 25) , 25 color noise.

Interesting update!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is the Leica image run through noise Ninja. It is looking more like the D700 now.

D700:

103717d1221768013-new-m8-2-0-firmware-online-d700_1250_100-.jpg

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!