The new M8 - 2.0 Firmware is online

Guest farbtupfer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson after you set the camera to Auto ISO in the SET Menu you then go into the normal menu and you can set the shutter speed to anything from 1/8 to 1/125 or Lens dependent. If it's set to Lens dependent I couldn't get it to go any lower then 1/90 with a 50 Lux on the camera. I didn't try it with any other lenses. Could be that Leica threw out the old rule of one stop faster then the lens mm taking into account that a 50 on the M8 is really a 67mm lens. So 1/90 would be one stop faster.

I'm not seeing that here with 50 asph, A exposure, Lens dependant, Auto ISO. I get the ISO adjusted to max set, but speed in my example was 6 seconds.

Can you post all of your settings where you are being limited to 1/90 second?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not seeing that here with 50 asph, A exposure, Lens dependant, Auto ISO. I get the ISO adjusted to max set, but speed in my example was 6 seconds.

Can you post all of your settings where you are being limited to 1/90 second?

When set to Lens dependent the camera will go to a higher ISO when the shutter speed would be lower then what is described/chosen by Leica as the lowest speed for a good stable image. For the 50mm lens that seems to be 1/90. BUT if you are in to dark a setting or the aperture is to small and the ISO goes to the MAX you have set/allowed then the shutter speed will drop. In all the shutter speed settings, Lens dependent or 1/8 to 1/125, they are just guides to raise or lower the ISO.

I hope I have been clear on this.

When set to Lens dependent the camera will go to a higher ISO when the shutter speed would be lower then what is described/chosen by Leica as the lowest speed for a good stable image. For the 50mm lens that seems to be 1/90. BUT if you are in to dark a setting or the aperture is to small and the ISO goes to the MAX you have set/allowed then the shutter speed will drop. In all the shutter speed settings, Lens dependent or 1/8 to 1/125, they are just guides to raise or lower the ISO.

I hope I have been clear on this.

OK so the lower shutter speed limits are being used to trigger the ISO increase but not a hard limit? People are describing that they can't set lower limits , using the Lens dependent setting. I'm not seeing this.

If you can save us some files, we could use the Noise Ninja analyze function to see if the noise score changes. It would have to be the same scene to compare. In other words shoot on a tripod, and try to do the update with the camera on the tripod so you do not loose the framing.

Robert

Can I suggest to take an image of a white wall, out of focus, before and after upgrade? To register noise, I would assume it would be best to keep the 'signal' level as low as possible.

Stefan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can I suggest to take an image of a white wall, out of focus, before and after upgrade? To register noise, I would assume it would be best to keep the 'signal' level as low as possible.

Stefan

Has been done by Tim Fabian, see post 70 here:

New M8 Firmware (2.0) !!!!!!! - Page 2 - Rangefinderforum.com

Welcome to the forum!

If you are free in 3 weeks time, come and meet some of us in Krakow.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/forum-member-meetings/59434-krakow-one-challenge-11-october-2008-a.html

Andy,

Thanks for the invitation. I'll do everything to go, although on the 12th I am bound to fly to France on business (out of Warsaw).

Piotr

Where are people seeing 30mb/s SanDisk Extreme III SDHC cards. Certainly in 4 and 8GB, I am only seeing 20mb/s ones (class 6) and that is from my usual UK suppliers and also on the international SanDisk website. If I am going to get a couple of new cards to speed up the write from DNG buffer time, I want to make sure I get the best currently available. I would prefer to stick to SanDisk, as that is the only card maker to date, which has been 100% trouble free on my and all the rest of the family's digitals, although to be fair, I have never tried Lexar.

Wilson

I ordered one from the Amazon Uk site yesterday. You may need to display the technical specs to see the speed. Cost was aound £30 for an 8 gig card.

Steve,

Thanks for that info. I think I see what it is. One lot are being quoted "in excess of 20MB/s" and other ones "up to 30 MB/s" - I suspect they are the same cards but the Amazon price is very good, so I will go for that when I get back from Photokina. Pity they don't have sales outlets with special show offers there like they do at Focus on Imaging in the UK.

Wilson

Does anybody have a sunny day around?

I would like to see if the pixel bleeding when shooting straight in the sun is gone...

I shot a lamp- but could not reproduce it.

Shooting sun (having it in frame) with correct daylight exposure, or even underexposed, always gave me trouble...

writing large to be noticed...

Wilson, the one I bought was this one...

SANDISK EXTREME lll SD 8GB: Electronics & Photo: Amazon.co.uk

It's dropped £3 in price since I order yesterday.

Steve,

Thank you for the link. Amazon UK's prices are even lower than MyMemory or 7Dayshop, both in Guernsey, who are usually the cheapest kids on the block due to absence of VAT. I will probably go for 2 x 4GB rather than one 8GB as then it is a swap in and out if I am downloading. No doubt my old 2GB Extreme III's will disappear into mobile phones etc, the second I get back to the UK.

I was thinking of upgrading to a Ricoh GX200 or Canon G10 back up cam, when I am in Japan, to get usable RAW shooting (my GX100 is just too slow on RAW and the JPEG's are not great in comparison). I have already had "Daaaaad my Casio is only 5 Megapixels and reaaaally old - you can't really be bothered to sell the GX100 on eBay can you - I'll pay you for it" - yes and if I believed that I would believe anything.

Wilson

Wow. Back in the old days people went out and took photos!

I even notice myself becoming glued to this screen looking for informative tid bits about new developments since acquiring an M8.

Haven't a clue what the new firmware is like as I sent my M8 to Leica today for the shutter and frameline upgrade. But when I get it back I think I'll spend more time behind the viewfinder and less time online.

In the meantime I'm loading up the M7 with some Tri-X.....