Black and white preview?

jagstang

1 hour ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Leica needs to make me an SL3M then. :0

Gordon

It might be a quite interesting camera. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

And if you want to mix colour and b&w over a days shooting?

Gordon

In that case you change the B&W setting in C1 to colour for that specific picture (just the other way around from changing color to B&W). The dng file remains intact and will always contain the three colour signals.

9 hours ago, Maarten said:

In that case you change the B&W setting in C1 to colour for that specific picture (just the other way around from changing color to B&W). The dng file remains intact and will always contain the three colour signals.

Far a 500 shot day that's completely impractical. I suppose you just remember every shot that was colour and b&W? I already have a better way than that and it's a kludge.

Gordon

2 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Far a 500 shot day that's completely impractical. I suppose you just remember every shot that was colour and b&W? I already have a better way than that and it's a kludge.

Gordon

Probably the simplest hack is to switch cards when shooting B&W: color on one card, B&W on the other card. It is like switching backs with Hasselblad 5xx cameras.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SrMi said:

Probably the simplest hack is to switch cards when shooting B&W: color on one card, B&W on the other card. It is like switching backs with Hasselblad 5xx cameras.

So far the easiest way is to set up a profile for b&w that shows a b&w preview AND switches the camera to DNG+JPEG and then switches back to DNG only for colour with a colour preview in camera. Then get LR to import jpegs as separate files. Still a bit of a fudge in post but better than anything else I've tried. Even better if I could use the new dial for switching custom profiles. It'll do for now.

I though asking for a Fuji like solution with the film styles to show in LR would be pretty simple but by the reaction of some, you'd think I'd clubbed a baby seal... No wonder we can't have anything nice.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography

On 4/29/2024 at 2:54 AM, jaapv said:

Well, my simple workaround is to shoot DNG+JPG... But the OP doesn't want to do that

Well, I just wanted the BW preview in camera, but not the actual imported file to be BW as manually editing raw files will invariably be better than a preset. I have no use for JPGs so it's wasteful and inelegant to shoot DNG+JPG. Thankfully @elmars gave me the solution, which is IMHO unintuitive.

On 4/28/2024 at 5:53 PM, fotografr said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned the most obvious solution: M11M

It would be a dream, but I can't afford to have a monochrome camera. I shoot colour professionally and BW for personal work... plus every once in a while I encounter situations that make more sense in colour and I wouldn't want to always carry multiple bodies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

So don't use the  JPGs... Elegance doesn't interest me, practical solutions do.

Yeah, that’s what I’d been doing. But not sure why you keep insisting on me just not using the JPGs after I found a solution where the JPGs don’t need to be saved? I’m sorry, I’m just a bit confused.

On another note, I think elegance does matter both in terms of design and functionality/UI (I’d even argue that having to find a workaround is impractical). It’s part of the M system. Otherwise I’d be using a Sony and call it a day.

Edit: to reiterate, because I think there might have been a misunderstanding… I don’t care what happens to image previews in the computer. I only wanted to have BW previews in live view and play mode in-camera. I’m more than happy having colour files in C1/Lightroom.

Edited by jagstang

4 hours ago, jagstang said:

Well, I just wanted the BW preview in camera, but not the actual imported file to be BW as manually editing raw files will invariably be better than a preset. I have no use for JPGs so it's wasteful and inelegant to shoot DNG+JPG. Thankfully @elmars gave me the solution, which is IMHO unintuitive.

It would be a dream, but I can't afford to have a monochrome camera. I shoot colour professionally and BW for personal work... plus every once in a while I encounter situations that make more sense in colour and I wouldn't want to always carry multiple bodies.

Well, given the original question and it turns out that it is your solution as well, I agree that the discussion is somewhat surreal. I did not say not use the jpg, but don’t import them. There is a difference. However, let’s agree to agree. 

As for your Monochrom remark, have you considered a M 246? That is quite a lot more affordable. I love using my M9M. 

I shoot DNG only, but have set (as suggested above) the JPG to B&W because I find the focus peaking on the rear screen so much easier to see. Red on a monochrome image really stands out. Very helpful with Apo-Telyt 135mm.