M11 in high humidity environment?

eab

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are driving from Suriname to Cusco via the Manaus in the Amazon.  My plan was to bring an SL Body with a few SL Zooms and 1 SL prime  and an M11 Body ( in the vent something happens to the SL, like I slip and fall, etc.) with three or four M Lenses to use on the M AND SL.  I am having second thoughts about this since the M and its Lenses are not sealed.  When I use the M at home and it is below freezing I always put it in a bag when I come in from the outdoors to prevent condensation.  The M and lenses will be in a camper with marginal climate control ( I might be able to get a 15 degree differential  if I am lucky) so I don't have the problem of going from a very cool environment to a hot environment ( 20 degree winter day to inside our house at 68 deg ).  

So, in this scenario I am not sure if it makes sense to even bring the M as the relative humidity is very high and I am imagine over time the moisture will permeate the system which ultimately could lead to fungus, corrosion, etc.  I know it will rain occasionally and I will not allow the M to get drenched.  

I could bring a Q, but would really prefer an ICLS like the M.  Also when in larger cities I prefer to carry the M, smaller, more discreet etc.

If any of you have experience in this kind of environment I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Thanks 

Eric

When I traveled Brasil-Chile-Peru, I did keep my M in a plastic bag with 3 fresh bags of silica desiccants, whilst not shooting.

Just remember the desiccants can lose their hydration properties over time and needs to be replaced or regenerated before embarking on a humid journey.

Cusco’s air felt less humid than Machu Picchu (Huayna) sic. But both felt much drier than lower levels of Amazonian forests.

It was hard work carrying a 1kg M240/35FLE plus water and other survival bits…. So hope you’re up to carrying so much gear (pls don’t say you’ll leave the backup M or SL in your camper.)

Assuming you’re going to Machu Picchu, So be aware that the final ascent to Huayna requires squeeze climbing through a slim vertical tunnel…. In the future archeologists may find the remnants of an SL and M11 + multiple lenses stuck in that tunnel !!

I had not thought about the desiccant, but I will get some and put it in the back pack that I carry my gear in.   I probably will leave some of my gear in the truck, I guess that what insurance is for.    With regards to the weight, thats one of the reasons, I want to bring the M, I don't mind carrying it.   I will try not to leave anything behind.  Thanks for the advice.

Just in case you’re not aware, silica gel desiccants continue to absorb water moisture 24x7, so their most prolonged effective use in the above scenarios is in a sealed ziplock bag.

• Like 1

I would take only 1 ICLC either SL or M and then backup with the easy to use Q. I live in FL where it is always humid and I do not have problems with SL, M or Q here. Nor with M6, O series and Barnack cameras.

That said I have used my M11 in the rain where it collected on camera body and lens. Just wiped off with a microfiber cloth and all was fine. Also was in heavy NYC rain with same no big deal experience.

10 hours ago, eab said:

I had not thought about the desiccant, but I will get some and put it in the back pack that I carry my gear in.   I probably will leave some of my gear in the truck, I guess that what insurance is for.    With regards to the weight, thats one of the reasons, I want to bring the M, I don't mind carrying it.   I will try not to leave anything behind.  Thanks for the advice.

I think you should start an insurance claim before leaving as leaving anything behind in the areas you are going to often results in theft. One lens can keep a family of 6 eating for over a year in these environments.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@eab - My approach for taking an M11 and four M lenses into a rain forest environment like the Amazon would be to carry the M kit in a WANDRD Rogue waterproof sling bag and to keep a 3"x5" Barska Dehumidifier pack in the bag. 

Some would consider this overkill, but with an M kit that likely approaches $30k USD in cost, my view is that there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to protecting said kit.  YMMV.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1708242-REG/wandrd_slg9_ta_1_roam_sling_9l_tan.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1771695-REG/barska_af13772_reusable_safe_dehumidifier_2_pack.html

• Like 1

I really like the M and would find tricky to separate from it even for a minute, I have an SL2S and between the two is the M11 that get used all the time. in fact SL2S is just for video.

But would I take it to a place where I am sure it will be back broken? And the lenses destroyed?

It is all a financial consideration...

If you cannot take the chance to loosing your kit then I would recommend looking for an affordable alternative which also gives you a good experience and ultimately good pictures. 

The used market is probably the best option, purchasing an "M" could be an option, a good camera, battery lasts forever I am told, decent ISO, 24MP, etc.

for the lenses you could also look at second hand market, voigtlander perhaps, something like an f2.5 or similar, etc.

even less expensive? If you are open to experimentation it seems like the fujis x100V are quite capable tools and inexpensive too. you could find a couple of those used Vs and keep as spare... not the same as taking a pic with a leica but good to take pictures with.

Have fun!

G.

• Like 1

The OP already states he has a Q. That is a very capable Leica camera that is easy to carry and conceal if needed.

Is this a photo trip or a family trip? Sometimes we photographers must make the distinction.

After being in a relatively humid environment (Japan in July), I had to send my M11 to Leica to fix a lens detection sensor issue — it got fogged and wouldn't work correctly. The camera itself was fine, but it wasn't as humid as it is in Amazon. :) 

I agree with the previous posters - if you can't afford to lose the M, don't take it. If you can, use the ziplock bag + silica gel trick to help eliminate excess moisture.

Q is supposed to be weather-sealed, but I've heard that moisture can still get in