SL3 Set-up Questions

BEG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am in the process of setting up my new SL3 and have two questions: First, is there still a "Favorites" menu as there was on the SL2? If so, how do I access it for the purpose of moving key functions to it? Second, is it possible to change the "Leicons" on the Control menu? If so, how do I do it? I am especially interested in changing one of the right side icons from Focus Assist to Exposure Bracketing.

Many thanks for your help.

Thank you both for your help. Also, I misstated my second question. What I meant to ask is whether it is possible to change the "Leicons" in the Capture Assistant menus. Specifically, can I change the Focus Assist icon to Exposure Bracketing? Focus Assist is one of the default icons that appear on the right side vertical icon menu when it is activated in Capture Assistants. If these are changeable, how do I do so? Long press simply takes me to the on/off option for a specific icon.

Many thanks again.

45 minutes ago, BEG said:

Thank you both for your help. Also, I misstated my second question. What I meant to ask is whether it is possible to change the "Leicons" in the Capture Assistant menus. Specifically, can I change the Focus Assist icon to Exposure Bracketing? Focus Assist is one of the default icons that appear on the right side vertical icon menu when it is activated in Capture Assistants. If these are changeable, how do I do so? Long press simply takes me to the on/off option for a specific icon.

Many thanks again.

must be lost in translation

I would start reading the booklet that came with the camera.

There is no Focus Assist Icon, and the bracketing would always be in Drive mode.

in short: Yeah no!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 7:43 PM, BEG said:

I am in the process of setting up my new SL3 and have two questions: First, is there still a "Favorites" menu as there was on the SL2? If so, how do I access it for the purpose of moving key functions to it? Second, is it possible to change the "Leicons" on the Control menu? If so, how do I do it? I am especially interested in changing one of the right side icons from Focus Assist to Exposure Bracketing.

Many thanks for your help.

No favorites menu.

Tap and hold one of the lower 8 icons until a selection menu appears where you can change the icon. Keep in mind it is limited for the time being and not one of the 68 elections on the memory buttons or wheels.

This much touted UI revolution is a dud so far. Hopefully firmware will fix the issues.

1. No you can't change the Leicons. Nor can you elect which ones are visible. It's a bit all or nothing. You can have just the top row show.

2. The quick menu is gone. Replaced by the home screen menu. But you've lost all the flexibility of the quick menu, for now.

3. The icons on the home screen menu have 8 buttons and only 11 options, most of which also appear as Leicons and and the mode selection which is currently locked to the rear dial push. So basically, it's pointless for now.

4. The rear dial push can no longer be customised, (locked to mode select) so there's one less customisable button compared to the SL2.

5. The left dial can only be set to one of three functions, all of which are replicated in the home screen icons. (None of which interest me.)

6. If you use the new dial for ISO the switching behaviour between manual and auto ISO is different than if you use a button and VERY unintuitive.

7. There's no visual differentiator between the camera in sleep vs off. The power LED should stay on (different colour) in sleep mode or pulse slowly.

I think there's an incredibly flexible and intuitive system hiding in there just waiting to get out. But it's a mess right now. Hopefully when the software guys finish their interviews touting the new system, they'll actually build one worthy of the hype.

I think the balance, handling and button placement has improved a lot. I think the new dial could be really useful, although so far I see videos just talking about how useful it is when the camera's on a tripod?? I've already forgotten the shutter sounds a bit different. And the flippy screen is in use, often. It's just the beta firmware we were given that's holding the camera back.

Gordon

8 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

This much touted UI revolution is a dud so far. Hopefully firmware will fix the issues.

1. No you can't change the Leicons. Nor can you elect which ones are visible. It's a bit all or nothing. You can have just the top row show.

2. The quick menu is gone. Replaced by the home screen menu. But you've lost all the flexibility of the quick menu, for now.

3. The icons on the home screen menu have 8 buttons and only 11 options, most of which also appear as Leicons and and the mode selection which is currently locked to the rear dial push. So basically, it's pointless for now.

4. The rear dial push can no longer be customised, (locked to mode select) so there's one less customisable button compared to the SL2.

5. The left dial can only be set to one of three functions, all of which are replicated in the home screen icons. (None of which interest me.)

6. If you use the new dial for ISO the switching behaviour between manual and auto ISO is different than if you use a button and VERY unintuitive.

7. There's no visual differentiator between the camera in sleep vs off. The power LED should stay on (different colour) in sleep mode or pulse slowly.

I think there's an incredibly flexible and intuitive system hiding in there just waiting to get out. But it's a mess right now. Hopefully when the software guys finish their interviews touting the new system, they'll actually build one worthy of the hype.

I think the balance, handling and button placement has improved a lot. I think the new dial could be really useful, although so far I see videos just talking about how useful it is when the camera's on a tripod?? I've already forgotten the shutter sounds a bit different. And the flippy screen is in use, often. It's just the beta firmware we were given that's holding the camera back.

Gordon

While testing the new UI, I thought I would miss the favorites page. I am not.

I am not sure that the left dial is useful. I cannot change it easily when shooting handheld, but on a tripod, I am OK changing ISO through the quick page.

I wish the rear dial push could be customized.

I use the top LCD to determine whether the camera is in sleep mode or awake.

The EC number displayed on the top LCD is a considerable advantage. I can see the current EC value and which direction decreases or increases it.

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

I am not sure that the left dial is useful. I cannot change it easily when shooting handheld, but on a tripod, I am OK changing ISO through the quick page.

I wish the rear dial push could be customized.

I use the top LCD to determine whether the camera is in sleep mode or awake.

The EC number displayed on the top LCD is a considerable advantage. I can see the current EC value and which direction decreases or increases it.

Do you see any way to distinguish if the camera is asleep or turned off?

Gordon

17 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Do you see any way to distinguish if the camera is asleep or turned off?

Gordon

No. I misunderstood, I see whether the camera is on or asleep.

When I decide to turn the camera off, I have to half-press the shutter. If it wakes up, it is only asleep. Since it is a button and not a switch, I agree that an additional visualization of the sleep mode is useful.

6 hours ago, SrMi said:

I miss it, even just a shortcut on top.

when I format the card it is a 10-step process. not great.

You probably can put it on the quick menu, but then you have to save it on every profile and the function are already been reduced to 8

I found the side menu useless, I don't even want to see It over my image.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

I miss it, even just a shortcut on top.

when I format the card it is a 10-step process. not great.

You probably can put it on the quick menu, but then you have to save it on every profile and the function are already been reduced to 8

I found the side menu useless, I don't even want to see It over my image.

I added format to the control center, but I usually only delete photos instead of formatting, which is quick in the review mode.

I even removed format from the favorites in SL2.

Edited by SrMi