SL3 battery charger question

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, jaapv said:

It is not that simple:

https://www.howtogeek.com/769888/what-is-usb-power-delivery-usb-pd/#usb-power-delivery-adds-the-volts

The charge reduction algorithm  is incorporated in any decent charger to protect the battery lifespan  

it is simple 

Both devices need to have PD. If one of them doesn't have a PD, it works in the old way aka USB 2 (to ensure backward compatibility). Same for USB adapter. 

Edited by tomasis7

I’m sure you are right regarding the specs. However I have had no issues whatsoever when mixing devices and USB types. Some are twenty years old. My main charging block has both USB A and USB C outlets and there adapters just work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomasis7 said:

Likely suboptimal charging. If one wants to be on the safe side, stick with 1A and accept very long charging hours ;)

Dunno. My original M8 batteries from 2006-2007 still hold plenty of charge. The only ones that needed a rebuild were my DMR ones, but they are notorious for dying. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jaapv said:

Dunno. My original M8 batteries from 2006-2007 still hold plenty of charge. The only ones that needed a rebuild were my DMR ones, but they are notorious for dying. 

I "bricked" the Garmin Inreach Mini with a 2,4A charger. The device takes in only 2 watts. I got it replaced quickly by warranty. It happened to me when I was in the middle of the sea. 

Bricked Garmin Inreach is very common. 2nd version got the USB-C instead.

If one charges Leica batteries with the original charger, there is nothing to think of. Buying Chinese 3rd party chargers adds new headaches especially when you mix chargers like 2.4A but thankfully we got USB-C. 

My Epson Rd1 battery holds well. I need to remind myself to top up it sometimes. 3rd party batteries died quickly. 

The Leica charger offers to charge up to 80%  on SLC4 which is nice. I already use the charging system between 20%-80% to ensure the longevity of the batteries. Phones, laptops, whatever. 

LFP is quite nice and can take abuse, unlike Li-lion.

Edited by tomasis7