My first impressions of the Panasonic S5 ii

jaapv

20 hours ago, RoySmith said:

Which would be more effective - the IBIS or the OIS ?

For a long lens like a 300mm, in-lens OIS should be more effective. That's because shake is magnified by a long lens (300mm is 6x 50mm), and the IBIS mechanism can only move by a small amount.

You should see the same level of OIS performance with your Canon lenses on the S5 as you did on Canon cameras.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 10:32 AM, jaapv said:

The IBIS is 6.5 EV values which is industry-leading as far as I am aware.

OM 1 II: 8.5 EV, Canon R5: 8EV, Sony a7rV: 8EV.

18 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The OM 1 is MFT. Smaller sensor -simpler to implement IBIS. Are the Canon and Sony systems 5-axis? 

Yes for Canon anyway.. 

The Canon EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS R3 are the first Canon cameras with 5-axis In-Body Image Stabilisation (IBIS), and can deliver an industry-leading 8-stops of IS1 when the cameras are paired with certain lenses

I have the R6II  - specs for that are:

Next for stabilisation with Canon now claiming the R6 II's sensor-shift IBIS system can deliver up to eight stops of compensation with selected lenses including some with no optical IS of their own.

I happily have taken 3 stops in a Leica CL2😃.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 7:35 PM, jaapv said:

The OM 1 is MFT. Smaller sensor -simpler to implement IBIS. Are the Canon and Sony systems 5-axis? 

Almost all recent IBIS systems are 5-axis. Also, X2D and GFX100II, with larger sensors, are rated up to 7 and 8 stops of stabilization. My point is that 6.5 stops is not industry-leading.  

BTW, 5-axis IBIS refers to movement detection, not sensor movements. The sensor moves only in x/y/rotate.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RoySmith said:

Received the S5 II - nice compact size. The camera did not come with a charger - like the SL3. Is anyone using an external charger? Should I stick to brand name ? The BM brand on Amazon seems to have okay reviews. 

Guessing most of them come out of the same Chinese factory somewhere, I went with the Neewer Brand USB charger that came with two batteries.  Been using for over a year now and so far all good.  Batteries keeping charge, charges original without issue.  I have used DTSE brand for other makes - also worked just fine.

• Like 1

I have a couple of these no-brand ones which work perfectly. They can be found on the internet with various brand names. 
I have been using them for years for my S5  The original charger was 💩 and these are fine  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

With the one I have it takes a bit of fiddling to get the battery to make contact. It feels like a 5$ toy, selling for 100$ new. I prefer a solid dual charger for less than 15 Euro.

Final conclusion after using it for a couple of weeks: This camera brings a smile to my face each time I pick it up

Sensor: Really good, Dual ISO works, rendering and quality of details amazingly good. The maker of the sensor must be using the latest printers for absolute precision.

Sensor colour rendering: Neutral, slightly subdued compared to Leica but easily pulled up in post. 

Build quality: Built like a tank, finish of the composite top and rubberoid parts clearly extremely durable 

General haptics and UI clearly very well thought through after the slight clumsiness of the S5. Shutter quite discreet 

Features all sensible and photographically relevant  Again clear that a great deal of thought went into the design 

The only minor issues I could find were an initial feeling of vagueness and hair trigger in the shutter release but after setting it up and getting used to it is fine. The startup time especially after sleep could be faster   And it lacks the Leica status 

Should Leica decide to pour an SL design sauce over it and market it as an SL3S the customers would be well pleased.

I pair it with the Sigma 28-70 2.8 and that makes a light and reasonably compact camera which  handles just about anything you throw at is effortlessly with results that cannot be faulted. 

I especially like the way one can use it almost like a classic DSLR  The focus controls grouped under the thumb  including the joystick, other controls on big “analog” dials, only two well-positioned wheels control the shooting parameters Other settings easily set up, saved and again accessible by control dial.  I virtually never use the menu when shooting, although it can be accessed and tweaked without removing the camera from your eye  by the front button  

All in all a steal at the usually discounted price and really Panasonic's best effort, worthy of the L alliance. 

I know I sound rather enthusiastic but I never expected it to be this good. (disclaimer: for my photographic demands) 

Next disclaimer: I am not a Video guy so I have no opinion on the other half of the camera. But judging by reviews it is pretty good in that discipline as wel. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I have been using a S5iix for a couple of months and I really enjoy this little camera but I find the display hinge to feel fragile and I miss a top screen with the settings.

Other than that, I particularly enjoy using a half cage and a mini top handle (and wrist strap) to carry the camera around.

Also when using small AF lens (like Sigma contemporary line), I like to use my left thumb on the touch screen to move the AF point (instead of the joystick) while using the EVF.

On 2/16/2024 at 5:29 AM, jaapv said:

The AF is a great upgrade. It is fast, there is no pulsing any more and Panasonic has managed to suppress the PDAF drawbacks to a level close to insignificance (I could not induce banding or rastering)   The combination of effective subject recognition and AF on by well-placed control elements (except subject recognition on/off by touch screen) makes it easy to adapt the AF to any situation. One minor -but understandable- thing is that the box for subject recognition changes shape and size all the time But I can live with that. 

Is this a credible upgrade to the SL2s-S?

I cannot be authorative on this as it depends on the expectations of the user. I would say that the image quality Is as good as is the build quality, the AF is far superior, the IBIS is better and all the rest is a matter of taste. 
The Video part is said to be state of the art but I am the opposite of a video expert so I could not say. 
in general: the TIPA award: “Best Expert Camera 2023” is not for nothing

I preferred buying it new over a used SL2S Saved me a substantial amount of money too, but that was not the main consideration. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnSantaF4 said:

Is this a credible upgrade to the SL2s-S?

I think they have different uses: S5ii to pack light with small AF lenses and SL2-s for bigger lenses and/or M lenses.

The real time LUT feature of the S5ii is really great to get customised SOOC files and take advantage of the double native ISO (in high ISO). Would be interesting to compare high iso results for S5ii and SL2-S.

Though the S5ii has incredible features (size, AF), I find the pics from the older S1 to be a bit more pleasing to my eyes. Also I was a bit disappointed the first time I looked at the S5ii EVF since I was used to the S1 EVF which has the same resolution than the SL2-S EVF. Now I'm ok with the S5ii viewfinder but the difference is noticeable.

For personal photo project, I'd be more inspired holding a SL2-s because of how the camera feels. If I go on holidays, I'd rather bring a S5ii. So overall, I don't know if the S5ii is a credible upgrade to SL2-S, it all depends on what one would expect and how one is using the camera, but for sure it is credible alternative.

• Like 3