Hot Shoe? Leica M-A: help me find a hot shoe cover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why doesn't the M-A come with a metal hot shoe cover? 

I personally find the sharp points of the hot shoe uncomfortable in my hand... am I the only one? 

I tried buying the Leica Q aluminum hot shoe cover available online ($40 in U.S.) but it doesn't work with the M-A since there's a tiny screw within the hot shoe that prevents the hot shoe cover from sliding all the way in.  

Is there a solution?

I'd prefer metal.

I'd prefer Leica branded but am open to any good suggestion. 

Thank you,

-jn

Edited by jayantony

3 hours ago, gigithephotographer said:

After trying many, the one that I loved the most was this one https://www.artisanobscura.com/hot-shoe-covers/ebony-hot-shoe-cover-1

I wished for a metal one too, but wood is still better than plastic. It matches very well the black chrome, and looks very minimalistic and flat. You will be happy with it. 

This is what I went for in the end.

I bought a set (hot shoe cover+soft release) of "desert ironwood" (because I currently live in the desert) and a set of "wild olive" (because I have 450 olive trees waiting for me in Istria, Croatia). They're both really nice, a bit expensive for what they are..

I cut near-squares from various film boxes; these are dimensioned to fit within the hot shoe guides, and cut to include information, e.g., “P5” is HP5, or TMAX 400, etc. If you’re careful and patient, you can cut these so that they can be folded (and taped into a solid packet) to increase the thickness to ensure that they don’t fall out of place. Unless I’m using the hot shoe (relevant only for the M4-Ps) , these makeshift covers remind me of which film I’m using at that moment.  Not really an “elegant” solution, but helpful as I have several (old and worn) M bodies that are constantly loaded with different films. 

Edited by Tom R
  • Like 1

I like to decide on my outfit for the day and then accessorise with a variety of straps, cases, soft releases, and hot shoe covers. It's not as complicate as you think if you invest in a personal styling coach and finalise a look for each season. 

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, jayantony said:

Why doesn't the M-A come with a metal hot shoe cover? 

I personally find the sharp points of the hot shoe uncomfortable in my hand... am I the only one? 

You aren't holding the camera correctly if that's the case. I wonder how you're holding it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1