Anyone have line of sight on where to get the Case S

amamoy2

Amamoy2,   I agree with Pieter12's above post.  If you can't find one on eBay etc, you should consider a Pelican Air Case 1535.   Its essentially the same case.  I use to have the Leica case mentioned and had to buy an extra and went to the Pelican Air 1535. Plus, the insert are easy to adjust with the foam inserts that you create the arrangement. Great cases too.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

Thanks Everyone.  I have 2 lenses that are designated (120,180) but my 24 and 45 would require a tweak.  Assuming the 70 will fit in one of the slots no problem.

Been looking at Pelican 1535 as well and saw the custom fit option.  Some work to nail the dimensions but would be super slick.

Has anyone tried their trekpak divider kit?  That looks potentially viable as well but maybe not quite as secure.

Thanks again.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

70, 120 and 180 all fit, 35 is the other lens the case was designed for (all the lenses that were available at the time).  Snug fit for camera with battery pack, dedicated space for dual charger (anybody have one that works for more than a couple of years?), some loose batteries and cable release/flash sync.  It proudly shows that it is 'Leica' if that may be a hindrance 😉

john

I can't remember the name of it, and I tried searching, but I couldn't find it. I remember it being made by an Italian company I think...basically one of the most common alternatives to Peli. Honestly I was looking because I recall the price Leica wanted was something around 1000 dollars and the case alone direct retail from the supplier was something like 250...I was not really interested in paying 700 dollars for a foam insert. In the end I just stuck with my bags. But maybe someone can help refresh my memory as to the name of the company? I agree that a Pelican case with a custom insert will be equivalent.

Just as an aside, if you don't need the full water sealing and extra heavy duty, I have had very very good luck over the years with Tenba Air Cases. They are still very protective, but much lighter and easier to handle. If it is just to store and protect or to check on a flight, I would have a look.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

1 minute ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I can't remember the name of it, and I tried searching, but I couldn't find it. I remember it being made by an Italian company I think...basically one of the most common alternatives to Peli. Honestly I was looking because I recall the price Leica wanted was something around 1000 dollars and the case alone was something like 250...I was not really interested in paying 700 dollars for a foam insert. In the end I just stuck my bags. But maybe someone can help refresh my memory as to the name of the company? I agree that a Pelican case with a custom insert will be equivalent.

Just as an aside, if you don't need the full water sealing and extra heavy duty, I have had very very good luck over the years with Tenba Air Cases. They are still very protective, but much lighter and easier to handle. If it is just to store and protect or to check on a flight, I would have a look.

Explorer cases are Italian. I have a couple, just as solid as Pelican. https://www.explorercases.com/en/home/

I have a Pelican case for my 4x5, and also the typical Phase One hard case, but what I use normally is a Think Tank airport trolley. It can accommodate 2 bodies and several lenses, and use it indistintively for the Phase or the 2 S cameras, batteries, etc. 

Unless there is an aesthetic reason it is easier to transport, and is allowed in plane cabins. 

Thanks All.

Trying to decide on 3 options.

1. I found a used S case in Hong Kong.  (Only one I could find).  Still getting quote on shipping but about 1/3 price of new.

2. Looking at the Think Tank option.  Was more thinking about a hard case but people seem to absolutely love their airport bags.

3. Pelican air case with custom foam design.  Upside here is I can tailor exactly to my kit and could have multiple inserts for same bag with different combos of S and M gear.  Basic case is like $250 with custom inserts being about $130 each.

Looking for carry on and max protection with flexibility a close second priority.

Have a look: https://tenba.com/shop-collections-air-cases/

https://tenba.com/tenba-roadie-air-case-roller-21-black/

They are designed to ship studio equipment...like lighting, full Eizo screens, Mac towers etc. They are very strong, but SO much lighter than a pelican case. They are kind of in between the Think Tank airport cases, which are basically just normal camera bags in the shape of a suitcase. The Tenba ones are hard plastic frames with lots of padding and nylon on the outside. They are not hermetically sealed like a Pelican case, but unless you expect to lose one overboard or want to leave outside in the rain, I think you save a ton of weight going this way without really giving up much in the way of protection from handling. If you plan to toss it down the stairs (probably not a great idea to begin with), then a Pelican or original case might do better, but to my mind they are a bummer to drag around when traveling.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

On 1/17/2024 at 10:49 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

Have a look: https://tenba.com/shop-collections-air-cases/

https://tenba.com/tenba-roadie-air-case-roller-21-black/

They are designed to ship studio equipment...like lighting, full Eizo screens, Mac towers etc. They are very strong, but SO much lighter than a pelican case. They are kind of in between the Think Tank airport cases, which are basically just normal camera bags in the shape of a suitcase. The Tenba ones are hard plastic frames with lots of padding and nylon on the outside. They are not hermetically sealed like a Pelican case, but unless you expect to lose one overboard or want to leave outside in the rain, I think you save a ton of weight going this way without really giving up much in the way of protection from handling. If you plan to toss it down the stairs (probably not a great idea to begin with), then a Pelican or original case might do better, but to my mind they are a bummer to drag around when traveling.

The ThinkTank Airport cases are stiffer than a camera bag, more like a rolling suitcase with additional interior padding.

• Thanks 2

As Pieter says, the airport is a hard case and pretty solid. Here with a Phase One XF, an S body and a mixed array of lenses

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just a note. I use the S Case for long car travel. The 45 fits fine in the 30 slot. The 24 fits in the 120 slot? But without the lens hood which fits perfectly in the dual charger slot. Not with my case so not positive which slot the naked 24 fits in but it fits. 

Thanks all for the feedback.

I only found one S case for sale anywhere.  Used in Hong Kong and the shipping costs to US made it ridiculous.

Will go w the Pelican/Trek-Pak solution which will give me more flexibility to mix and match S/M gear anyway.

EDH

I was quite tempted to jump on that used case from MPB. A couple of things stopped me. First, it takes up quite a bit of space and I don't have a lot of that. Second, when I travel, I usually take a shoulder bag or a backpack. I might take a hard case if traveling by car and just taking out the equipment needed if I stop for a shot. Also, I really am not keen on the idea of having to cap and uncap the body every time I want to store it in the case. Sensor dust is a real bugaboo for me--the less I expose the camera interior, the better. Probably just paranoia, but I am not confident about cleaning the sensor and at the rates technicians charge it's just another expense I don't want to incur. In the end, I am more comfortable loading a bag specifically for the circumstances, where I can store the camera with the most-used lens already in place. And I have a ton of camera bags already.