A single straight line on images captured by a Leica Q ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Merry Christmas and Happy new year!

A few days ago I acquired a Leica Q camera which was bought new in 2017.
Recently I noticed that there is a vertical line on the images captured by it. (Vertical in Landscape orientation/ Horizontal in Portrait)
I excluded the issues possibly caused by SD Card, Software etc by trying multiple software and SD cards etc
I believe it is a line of dead pixel on the sensor which may be solved by pixel mapping which the Leica Q doesn’t have. Leica Q2 have it built-in.
Please see the photos attached and offer advice of how to fix it. Pixel mapping? And how? 
I am in Australia. 
Your help will be deeply appreciated.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Cliff Li

Unfortunately I can’t return it. As I bought this in HK while I was visiting my families. It looks like new. I tested it so thoroughly that I don’t expect any problem. 
Not until I came home to Sydney and magnified the photo on a 24” monitor to over 100%.

any way to fix it please!

remapping/mapping by Leica?

Pixel Mapping fixes random individual pixels. This is obviously a straight line of pixels and I’m not sure if pixel mapping can be applied here. Theoretically if it can it should fix the issue. Only Leica can answer such a question. My hunch is the sensor is defective and that probably why it was sold off, especially if the price was below market. What did you pay for it?

• Like 1

The alternative might be to create an action in Photoshop to clone the neighboring pixel lines over the defects. Or make it a droplet. 
otherwise you’ll have to send it to Leica You might strike it lucky that the dead pixels block the readout and that mapping saves the day but be prepared for a looong wait and a hefty bill 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Miltz said:

Pixel Mapping fixes random individual pixels. This is obviously a straight line of pixels and I’m not sure if pixel mapping can be applied here. Theoretically if it can it should fix the issue. Only Leica can answer such a question. My hunch is the sensor is defective and that probably why it was sold off, especially if the price was below market. What did you pay for it?

The price is just normal. Not cheap or expensive in HK second hand market. Around US$1700. I don’t believe the seller knows the issue as you have to magnify to 200% to see it on a 24” monitor. I discovered it accidentally when magnified, select and darkened the sky. Before that, I edited more than 60 images and didn’t see the line. She is a friend and an amateur who knows nothing about editing. For the time she owns it, it was mostly placed in a dehumidifier. That’s why it looks like new.

59 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The alternative might be to create an action in Photoshop to clone the neighboring pixel lines over the defects. Or make it a droplet. 
otherwise you’ll have to send it to Leica You might strike it lucky that the dead pixels block the readout and that mapping saves the day but be prepared for a looong wait and a hefty bill 

Hopefully this also happens to me. Emailed Leica AU already . See what happens 😅👇

Edited by Cliff Li
Typo
  • Like 1

Q2 got in-camera Pixel Mapping added in a firmware upgrade. Why not give it to Q1 too? That’s what upset me most😡

14 hours ago, Chris W said:

No way to fix it other than fiddling with photo software.

You might need to get it repaired.

Apparently, Pixel Mapping can solve the issue. Leica charged around A$240 ten years ago (in the UK). And I may need to post it to Leica in Melbourne too🥲 Again, why Q2 got in-camera pixel mapping but not Q1🥵

Some camera have in-camera pixel mapping and automatically re-map the sensor every two months

Edited by Cliff Li
more info

14 hours ago, Chris W said:

No way to fix it other than fiddling with photo software.

You might need to get it repaired.

There is a software to make dead pixel disappear, PixelFixer, which only available for PC, not for Mac.

I tried the new Removal tool in the latest Photoshop. It works like magic. I may do it to those important images. The line is not visible in normal viewing conditions anyway.